ibskot

Going to see a blast cabinet off CL...what do I look for?

ibskot

It's a HF model...the standing one. I have never used one. It's cheap so I figure not too much invested to see if I can use it...plus, I see guys restoring these WH's here and I think my son, instead of a go kart, would like a resto project with me. Maybe one of the tiny RJ ones.

Any help/knowledge is appreciated.

pacer

I have the standing one and I have come to LOVE that thing! I first got the bench top model and was less than impressed!

You may have to weather strip or caulk a couple places, but it should be a welcome addition to your shop.

Do be aware that in order to realize the full potential of a blast cabinet you will need a LOT of air, and a vacuum recovery system of some type is a must. There are several posts here on the forum discussing 'sand' blasting (you dont use sand) but that still seems to be the best method to describe media blasting.

ibskot

Thanks....any particular thing that I should look at to see function of? Like if this or that doesn't work then don't buy it.

pacer

Not really.... It should have a light - a must have - see if it works. Check to see the door closes securely (bent/twisted) - in fact make sure the whole thing hasnt been dropped and is bent up anyplace, this would cause leakage. If the glass is frosted up, replacing it will be around $15 (I just had 4 of them cut and it was $62)

Good luck!

ibskot

Well, for the good or bad it's mine. Thanks for the help.

post-12071-0-02867300-1427830725_thumb.j

• Like 1

Dhodge

I have seen a lot of pro's and cons on those units.  I have one and it works great, however it did not start out that way.  As stated above if it has not been caulked, do yourself a favor and take it apart and caulk every seam with clear silicon caulk.  If that has the ac/dc converted light fixture in it replace it with a light system of your own.  Hook a shop vac up to it to keep the dust cleared away and it will blast really well for you. 

I put an axle and pneumatic tires on mine.  Made some wheel barrow handles out of 1/2" galvanized pipe I had laying around so I can move it any place I need to. 

• Like 2

ibskot

Well, definitely not new...the legs are slightly bent and it's missing a few sheet metal screws but nothing I can't replace.

Wonder if those sites would have parts that fit a HF cabinet? Anyway, I still have to get it off my truck.

I thought it ironic that the PO had the same compressor as me. Comforting I suppose.

I have seen a lot of pro's and cons on those units.  I have one and it works great, however it did not start out that way.  As stated above if it has not been caulked, do yourself a favor and take it apart and caulk every seam with clear silicon caulk.  If that has the ac/dc converted light fixture in it replace it with a light system of your own.  Hook a shop vac up to it to keep the dust cleared away and it will blast really well for you. 

I put an axle and pneumatic tires on mine.  Made some wheel barrow handles out of 1/2" galvanized pipe I had laying around so I can move it any place I need to.

Some great suggestions...thanks.

Dhodge

If you get things hooked up and it don't work very well, which a lot of guys get frustrated with and sell them, get a hold of me and I can help.  You can hook up a foot pedal to those so you don't get trigger finger fatigue also. 

I was one of those frustrated guys and almost pulled the trigger on a better unit for almost two grand along with a new compressor, until I gave it one last overhaul.   I am glad I didn't and am pleased with how it works

Edited by Dhodge

ibskot

Dhodge, per chance do you drive a dodge?

Also, if you have a chance, I'd love to see pics of your setup.

Dhodge

no I am a chevy guy.  Pretty much gotta be where I live. I'll get some pics for ya tonight

ibskot

Great!

Dhodge

Here are some pics of mods I made to my blast cabinet..  I used my chop saw to cut grooves into the handles so that they would accept the angled metal above to keep the handles from pushing on through while moving it.  I also used the threads on the pipe (handles) for what should have been galvanized cap fittings, which I didn't have in the shop so I compromised with what I had so they can't pull thru. My light is a simple flood light with outdoor box and lamp holder.

Make sure you have the plug on the back that is removable so you get a negative pressure inside the cabinet while vacuum is running or you may suck the sides of the cabinet in and compress it like squeezing a beer can.  I run mine at 90 psi and it works with all kinds of abrasives.  post-13051-0-96056500-1427839403_thumb.jpost-13051-0-30349200-1427839445_thumb.jpost-13051-0-90203400-1427839473_thumb.jpost-13051-0-77733300-1427839510_thumb.jpost-13051-0-05531200-1427839542_thumb.jpost-13051-0-26880400-1427839570_thumb.jpost-13051-0-99498900-1427839594_thumb.jpost-13051-0-44883200-1427839629_thumb.j

Send me a private message for my phone number if you have questions.  I would be happy to help if I can.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I spent a lot of time reading pros & cons about this blast cabinet on the web.

As stated before, some hate it and others love it. I read enough pros that I bought one.

I used a lot of sealant while assembling this thing and feel confident that mine is well sealed.

I do not have a big enough compressor to use mine yet, but I will find what I need soon.....I hope.

Search Harbor Freight blast cabinet (on the web) and start reading what others have to say and what they have done to make theirs better!

ibskot

Awesome, thanks.

Big mouse trap there huh?

Mine is a tad different I think. I will take more pics later. At work til 11pm.

ibskot

As stated before, some hate it and others love it. I read enough pros that I bought one.

I used a lot of sealant while assembling this thing and feel confident that mine is well sealed.

I do not have a big enough compressor to use mine yet, but I will find what I need soon.....I hope.

Search Harbor Freight blast cabinet (on the web) and start reading what others have to say and what they have done to make theirs better!

Definitely. I wanted the Northern Tool plastic one. Made in USA and top loading and a tad bigger. Oh well. This was less then a third of the price.

Dhodge

Awesome, thanks.

Big mouse trap there huh?

Mine is a tad different I think. I will take more pics later. At work til 11pm.

I use those to trap ermine during trapping season..    I have seen several different variations of basically the same cabinet,  I see yours has the air feed in the front.

What do you have for a compressor?

pacer

I made some few mods to my cabinets also.I kept the small cabinet and even tho the bench top cabinet is inferior to the leg model, I have tinkered with it off an on and have it working pretty well now.

On the big cabinet I added casters to the legs for moving, added a ball valve to turn air off at cabinet, added a Cyclone recovery system for dust and added a toggle switch to control both to come on at same time and added a shelf in bottom. The existing cabinet light failed after a time and I replaced it with an 'under the cabinet' 24" fluorescent fixture from big box store (also added one to the small cabinet, it didnt come with light) When my gloves wore out I replaced them with longer cuffs for easier access to parts inside.

If I had known about the HF "Blast Cabinet Reclaimer Kit" shown on the side of the small cabinet I would have elected to put one on the big cabinet - its just all around a better system, and cheaper!

post-9681-0-49029000-1427841038_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-32042600-1427841165_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-53688700-1427841199_thumb.jp

ibskot

Dhodge, I have what looks to be the same model as Pacer is showing in his pic.

I have a 60 gallon Kobalt....the same as the guy I got it from. It was the most I could get money wise.

ibskot

Pacer, how does the reclaimer kit differ from a dust collector?

1989520HC

I grew up with a sand blast cabinet in the garage. I sand blasted everything I could get my hands on....My Dad made one out of three sheets of plywood. He restored two model A Fords with it and it still works today. They do gulp down the air. 

ibskot

I have seen the plywood ones. I guess I coulda went that direction but as long as it takes me to do stuff, that may have taken another year.

• Like 1

pacer

I dont know how "reclaimer kit" came to be, what it "reclaims" is about like flour and is of no more use. The HF unit is more compact and easy to clean the 'reclaim' than the much larger Cyclone version - at least the one I have.

invisybill

most cons i see are they don't have the right filtration and an excellent air dryer is a must , i first got one it drove me insane trying to figure it out  then i opened my young know-it-all ears to an old fella and its been a smooth ride since.

Bill

ibskot

i opened my young know-it-all ears to an old fella and its been a smooth ride since.

Bill