whtractors24

starting a small wheel horse garage !

whtractors24

So a guy I work with wants to start buying and traveling /shipping wheel horses , restoring them, fixing them,selling them. As this is a hobby for me and I enjoy the drive to chase then and get them in great shape.

This means going as far as p.a ,Maryland south and all the way up to vt north and west as far as Ohio and doing what we can and stocking the connecticut region.

What do you guys think since connecticut is getting scarce ?

Maybe even the nicer ones sell on the showroom floor at the toro dealer I work for .

Prices will be very fair .

P.s please don't take this negative I will be more than fair with collectors first.

Edited by whtractors24
  • Like 1

baerpath

I been doing my part to restock CT

• Like 7

whtractors24

Duane yes !! Agreed I have been to your house with Jeff what a place to see !

953 nut

:woohoo:   Best of luck, a little too far north to help me on the big parts, but FedX and UPS come by every day. There are a few others out there, but free enterprise is what makes our economy the envy of the rest of the world.   :text-bravo: 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Take a couple of weeks to think about it. Give yourself a "cooling off" period. Sometimes after a little thought, what seems to be a good idea at the time might just change.

• Like 8

Racinbob

Changed my mind and deleted what I said. Can't delete the post. I had a gray hair moment.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

whtractors24

Mike I hear ya I am going to do this in all fairNess and honesty. Now that I will have storage etc. I just won't get as bad as your neighbor lol.

Edited by whtractors24
  • Like 1

papaglide

I got to be honest. I think that it would be nice to have a place where I could buy a nice, reconditioned, running wheel horse. Sometimes it gets to be a pain in the dupa to get one, clean it, try to get it started, chase down one problem after another, get it running only to have it quit again.

Keep it in mind that this is coming from a very, LOW level mechanically inclined guy.

I understand that some people can do all of the things that I described and make a show piece tractor out of it, but I am not one of them. I also understand the "hunt". Been there and sometimes it was fun other times it was a WTF experience.

I hope that there would be a nice balance between the scenario that Sparky described and one that is WAY less hardcore. Hopefully there is room for every one, at least up here in the Northeast.

stevebo

What Sparky said.... I think that trying to make a profit buying and selling wheel horse tractors is not a winning proposition for anyone (buyer or seller).  Don't get me wrong, I have been there and done that. I typically made a profit when I used to buy the "package". I would keep the tractor and sell the mower deck, plow or tiller that came with it. I did that for several years and it helped me pay for and build my collection. I have also done worker restorations and would go through the entire tractor (oil, filters, ignition, key switches, belts etc. etc.) Once done I would be happy if I made a profit at all. Like Sparky said it is up to you.

My suggestion would be to expand your search of tractors you are looking to flip. You will be surprised at the market on a $300 to $500 craftsman rider. Many more buyers looking for those. I think that is where you may make your money.

• Like 5

fireman

Another guy who was all gung-ho and used to hang out here is doing exactly what your thinking about. He actually made quite a few guys angry since it kills the "hobby" of Wheel Horse tractors for anyone within a 400 mile radius of him. No longer can the average hobbyist scroll thru the local ads and Craigslist looking for a tractor, instead those in this guys area have to jump with the speed of light and get right over to meet the seller before the other guy swoops in a buys it. Or just wait till (the other guy) buys it and then gives it a bath and an oil change and jacks the price up.

As a "hobbyist" tractor guy I'm against it, but this is America and you are free to do as you please.

Mike........

I second what Mike said. Wether you realize it or not that's a huge undertaking. I went to school for automotive, have my own machine shop, welder, sand blast cabinet, lift etc in my 20' x 30' workshop and I wouldn't undertake that. Given the price of gas with the distances you are talking there is not that much of a profit margin left. 

Good luck if you go ahead with this undertaking. Just remember you've burnt some bridges around here and that kind of reputation tends to follow you.

• Like 2

whtractors24

Jeff I may have made some people upset but I don't live in the past nor' do I live in regret. It is what is we are all grown men if you want to hold grudges then let it be . If not we can all get along cause whe. I post something beautiful those guys and I know who they are the first ones to pm me. I forgive people we were all young and made mistakes I apologize if so. I hope to do buisness with most of you sooner or later .

chazm

Another guy who was all gung-ho and used to hang out here is doing exactly what your thinking about. He actually made quite a few guys angry since it kills the "hobby" of Wheel Horse tractors for anyone within a 400 mile radius of him. No longer can the average hobbyist scroll thru the local ads and Craigslist looking for a tractor, instead those in this guys area have to jump with the speed of light and get right over to meet the seller before the other guy swoops in a buys it. Or just wait till (the other guy) buys it and then gives it a bath and an oil change and jacks the price up.

As a "hobbyist" tractor guy I'm against it, but this is America and you are free to do as you please.

Mike........

:text-goodpost:   and then start your own :wh: website.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 4

whtractors24

Hahaha in refrence to ....... I will not start my own website lol.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

I usually help friends find horses for mowing and what not. Its amazing at just the simple stuff like battery, tubes, oil, filters, plugs, carb cleaning, and belts adds up so fast. And thats the list for something that needs no major repair! I think I find this great deal and drive an hour to pick it up. Then put all the maintenance into and wonder about this great deal I found. If your making a business out of it, then you also need to cover the cost of your time. I question the profit to be had but if you can make a go of it. All the power to you.

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

I was banned from the other guys website, but if I were on your shoes I would sit back and closely study their business.

I have my opinions, but I cant tell you for sure if it is a winning or loosing proposition.  :dunno:  I will tell you, you can learn a lot by watching someone else do it first. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

rmaynard

I don't know who first said it, but it's worth repeating, don't give up your day job.

• Like 8

baerpath

Start it as a hobby and see where it goes.  After a while people hear about that fool with all the WH's. 

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

YOU HAVE DONE TOO MANY MEMBERS WRONG TO TRY THIS HERE. YOU WILL NEVER MAKE IT HERE.

whtractors24

Russ not looking to "make"it first off. I work 45 to 50 hrs a week at a full time job. This is just a hobby / side money. If they don't want to buy anything thats fine with me ! There's plenty of people out there who enjoy these on this site and off. Such as there are 15 + favebook forums and other sites . there are plenty of members here I've done buisness with many of times wether they like me nor not they come back and buy things from me !I'm not looking to make best friends with people. I'm looking to be honest and give a solid product at a fair price ! LIke I stated above if you have read the post . If they can't move past the past then that's there own issue because I will come up with nice machines as I always do. Remember ! I work at a dealer I am the 1st man to buy them here and I do I get many of people who want to trade them ,sell them etc. Low hours last year I had atleast around 10 machines that had 300 or less hours even older 414's! There's members here that now have them . if this is the way it's going to be then when those selective people pm me I will not bother with them. I hope I am making my point across reasonably!

Edited by whtractors24

1978c81

My garage has 3 out of my 5 horses supplied By whtractors24. I paid the top end of what they are worth. That being said they are beautiful low hour examples. I could of chose to pass on all the tractors but then they wouldn't be sitting in my garage.

tunahead72

Another guy who was all gung-ho and used to hang out here is doing exactly what your thinking about...

... and then start your own :wh: website ...

I was banned from the other guys website, but if I were on your shoes I would sit back and closely study their business...

...  I will tell you, you can learn a lot by watching someone else do it first.

Not to sidetrack this thread (because it's a good one), but in the spirit of "watching and waiting"...

I THINK I know who this "other guy" is, and where his website is, but I haven't seen any posts from him recently, and I haven't been able to connect to his website in the last couple of days (connection times out, even on my wife's fairly quick laptop).  Does anybody know what's going on with that?

whtractors24

thanks jarrod sure they look good in there !

Any pictures of them machines !

whtractors24

here is some of jarrods tractors I sold him!

all of them I bought from original owner!

312-8 believe 1989 has 400 hrs

the 1987-88 414-8 has 300 hours

25aog80.jpg

zmjfx5.jpg

2v13uao.jpg

the c-81 I don't have saved jarrod! that was one of the cleanest c-series "original" ive seen

Edited by whtractors24
  • Like 1

1978c81

C81

post-11993-0-28367200-1427809013_thumb.j