stevebo

1998 520 LXI Worker Rehab - Survivor

AMC RULES

...and it's perfectly sized for him too.   :scared-eek: 

Hodge71

Steve, I believe you may have convinced me to keep my eyes open for a decent LXI. I always thought the were priced ridiculously high but may have to find me a fixer upper

shallowwatersailor

Wow, that has a throaty sound!

stevebo

I pulled the muffler off today as the fire did a number on it. The baffles were pretty much bouncing around inside. I cut a section out and pulled the broken and rotted baffles. I then fabricated a piece of sheet metal to fit over the damaged muffler area. I tried to braze it but no go. I held it on with hose clamps for now. It will have to be welded up. A new one is close to $400 bills.-OMG !! I think I can find one to fit the ports but I will have to change the outlet pipe from the old to the new. Once it is welded up I will see how it sounds and I may just keep it as it.

I also started to sand the tins down and there was one small dent that needed a little bodywork to fix it. Check out the sound. Any 520lxi guys out there let me know how much louder mine is that yours with the baffles. Thanks-

post-734-0-23494900-1428176548_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-50515200-1428176589_thumb.jpg

Muffler no baffles.MOV

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  No brakes either? 

JackC

Hard to tell.  It does not sound that much louder.  I believe the quieter the better.  Noise can cause fatique over time.  Has anyone tried to adapt an automotive type small engine muffler to their tractor with any success?

shallowwatersailor

:scared-eek:  No brakes either? 

That's the 5xi "creep." We pay extra for that adjustment. :ychain:

• Like 1

stevebo

Yes forgot to set the brake. Fireman just stopped over and took it for a ride. I think he is ready to sell his green one now... lol ! He took my muffler and said he will try to weld up the patch with his super welder... You the man Jeff !

Ken B

What kind of super welder are we talking about?

stevebo

One that I do not have... He already welded up the patch that I fabricated. He gave it a quick sanding and hit it with a coat of high temp black. Man I have to say Jeff is the man !! Thanks Jeff !!

Here is a pic he texted me earlier...

post-734-0-55836100-1428201231_thumb.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

XI fever will set in. Dont believe me,,,,,,,try one. Then you will have to own one. Now if someone could make a big square hood for the xi that looks like the hood on the 300 400 500 tractors,,,,,,man,,,,a stampede will start to own one. A great great machine. I notice more folks getting them.

Glenn

• Like 1

fireman

Weld didn't come as nice as I like it to be. My welding gas is on "E". I had the settings turned down almost as low as they would go so I wouldn't burn through the light gauge metal. Didn't want to  run a straight bead and over heat it so I tacked the line instead. Burned through on a couple of spots and had to build it up to seal it. It will clean up nice with a grinder. I ran out of time and hit it with a light coat of high temp paint to protect the bare metal. I'm sure Steve will have it looking nice in no time!

Ken,

No real super welder. Just a Hobart 187 running 75/25 gas. Handles anything I'll ever need to do. Actually you can see it in the background of the picture.

stevebo

Jeff met me at dunkin donuts this morning so I could grab the muffler and install it. I really like the sound. A little throaty but not too much. I put the muffler back on and took video of the engine running. I also took the front headlight cover off, cleaned and painted the housing and buffed the lense a bit. Not perfect by any means but much improved. Funny thing on the dash and headlight lenses is that they are not seamed. Are they all unsealed or is it just mine? I suppose I could seal with a very thin weatherstip.

post-734-0-71581300-1428249377_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-01074200-1428249392_thumb.jpg

Muffler Welded up.MOV

Jtstraw

Glad you found one close to you. Just finished rolling the yard with mine. This thing is growing on me. Like everything about it but the smart steer has got to go! Love the decals.

jackhammer

Cmon Steve   - get that young man a seat :)

stevebo

Here is an update on prepping the metal. All the tins are in primer except for the foot boards. I need to remove the plastic pads, sand them and then prime them. I got the Valspar hardener today in the mail. I just need to wet sand the primer and then they will be ready for top coat. I had a few areas that needed some filler. The hood had a small dent and the back of the fender pan was pushed in a bit so I had to fill that area. If the weather is good this weekend I hope to get the tins painted and put this tractor back together. I am still missing the front bumper cover. I am not sure if I want to fabricate a front bumper or buy a new cover for $75. We will see. Here are a few pics as of tonight.

post-734-0-14690900-1428361848_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-55594700-1428361868_thumb.jpg

papaglide

Stevebo, could you please describe how you cleaned and buffed the headlight lens and how you painted yours? Mine is hazy, yellowish and doesn't dish out half the amount of light yours does. Thank you sir!

fireman

As the saying goes "no moss grows under your feet"!!! I figured you have it all done by this weekend.

If I didn't have to, quote un-quote, "baby sit" a certain someone everyday, I would be down in my shop getting things done too! (You know who I mean Steve)

Irv

I saw that tractor for sale last year and was tempted. Glad you got it and are doing such a great job on it.

baerpath

Longer than that Irv been in my shed for over two yrs LOL

shallowwatersailor

Stevebo, could you please describe how you cleaned and buffed the headlight lens and how you painted yours? Mine is hazy, yellowish and doesn't dish out half the amount of light yours does. Thank you sir!

Mike,

I've done this on my 520xi. Just remove the lens assembly and unclip the clips to separate the the lens and housing. Dust gets in there and is the majority of the haziness. Wash them, and then I used Meguiars Polish for paint with a Mother's Sponge head to polish the lens. I actually painted the area other than the headlight area black for an updated look as well.

DSCF9252_zpsad7ef4d3.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

stevebo

I used a medium to heavy grit compound and buffed with cloth by hand. IMO a machine is too fast, hot and uncontrollable. I did that on the inside and outside. I then used a cleaner/wax. The bucket if you will has a think plastic triangle shaped piece that is in the middle. I pulled that off and painted it a hammered gray. I think painted the inside of the bucket with a high metallic silver spray paint after cleaning and prepping with steel wool. I had that on hand but if I were to go to the store I would by a chrome paint made for plastic. Not really all that hard to do. Mine is much cleaner but by no means perfect.

I put the tins back on the tractor and then wet sanded it with 800 wet/dry. I then washed the down with water and cleaner. She is wet but when she dries will be pretty much ready for paint. I have a few small areas that I need to fill with some light putty, sand, re prime, re wet sand and then paint. Here she is...

post-734-0-77524000-1428369823_thumb.jpg

stevebo

Mike,

I've done this on my 520xi. Just remove the lens assembly and unclip the clips to separate the the lens and housing. Dust gets in there and is the majority of the haziness. Wash them, and then I used Meguiars Polish for paint with a Mother's Sponge head to polish the lens. I actually painted the area other than the headlight area black for an updated look as well.

DSCF9252_zpsad7ef4d3.jpg

John=

That looks really good and exactly what I was going to do but only did the triangle shaped plastic.

• Like 1

Ken B

Lookin good Steve, so what shop will the over spray fall in? Barn, survivor or garage? :ychain: I think with some plastic laid down the survivor shop would make a nice paint booth.

stevebo

I plan on painting it outside the barn. Once the part is painted I will bring it in the barn to dry. The compressor is down there so I am limited. One of my very best spray jobs was outside at the old house. Wet sanding "may" be required.... lol This weekend looks sunny with upper 50's to low 60's.....