stevebo

1998 520 LXI Worker Rehab - Survivor

PaulC

that cleaned up awesome!! amazing what a good pressure washing once in a while can do.

When I did this to my 1990 312 I thought to myself "some of these pieces of crud could be 15+ years old" haha

Forest Road

I've been very happy with mine. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baerpath

Looking better already

lodestonefarm

That really did clean up nicely.  

Is there any worry that the pressure washer, blasting away at everything, will force water where it shouldn't be, or cause new harm?  I have yet to pressure wash my machine but it would certainly beat all that elbow grease and there are places my elbows just don't fit.  

Theroundhousernr

That did clean up great! One day , I may have to get one of those nice machines. As far as pressure washing. I just make sure to change oil and filters afterwards. Keep in mind to stay away from electronics , open holes like breathers, gas cap , carb and it should be just fine!

shallowwatersailor

That really did clean up nicely.  

Is there any worry that the pressure washer, blasting away at everything, will force water where it shouldn't be, or cause new harm?  I have yet to pressure wash my machine but it would certainly beat all that elbow grease and there are places my elbows just don't fit.  

I pressure wash mine when I get them. But you do need to be careful and use the lowest pressure tip first. Obviously keep it from the electrical components. I think some of the cleaners can do more harm, especially to the paint.

stevebo

I agree. When using the harsh chemicals you need to know not to put it on paint as it could stain. Usually I hit with pressure washer first then use a degreaser like simple green or purple power etc. I did that to get it ready for paintwork. Nothing is worse then starting off sanding oil or grease. The tins need to be really clean before you start to sand them down.

Craig-

Great to see that Terry is producing them !! They are the upgraded version imo.

AMC RULES

stevebo

I love Terry's decals. I already contacted him via email about them. I think I am going to lean towards the decals with the silver and not the white horse logo.

• Like 2

stevebo

If anyone has the lower front valance piece they are looking to sell, please let me know. I am 99.9% sure they are the same on all the XI series.

fireman

Man that did clean up nice! Frame still has shinny gloss paint.

Sparky

Nice Steve...you don't waste any time do ya!!

Mike........

stevebo

Mike-

Sometimes I get started right away on a tractor if I really like it. Others I tend to push aside for another day. This one will be the first that I repainted in several years.... I think the last thing I painted was the hood on my early 55' RJ35.....

Ken B

It did clean up nice! I have too admit, .that looks a lot like my Dads green Craftsman... :hide:

stevebo

It did clean up nice! I have too admit, .that looks a lot like my Dads green Craftsman... :hide:

I hear you on that ken but let me tell you this is no craftsman !!

• Like 1

JackC

I love Terry's decals. I already contacted him via email about them. I think I am going to lean towards the decals with the silver and not the white horse logo.

Those new 520Lxi decals with silver background for the logo look awesome.

You might want to check to see if your engine has the plastic or metal oil pump gears.

stevebo

I hear that some of these Kawasaki motors had plastic cam gears. Some there changed early on and others were not. I am not going to fix it if it is not broken. If it breaks then I will fix it.

JackC

I have two 1998 520Lxi tractors.  Keep an eye on the oil pressure light.  I assume after a certain serial number they changed from plastic to metal.

I believe they switched from plastic to metal around mid 1998.  Not sure of this but found this on another forum: "In February of 1998, steel camshafts went into all 620D engines.  The following engine(s) should have the steel camshaft and stiffer valve springs.  FD620D-DS02 with the beginning engine serial number of 149283…"

Not sure if they replaced the plastic oil pump gear at the same time.

See part 2 of the following 520Lxi restoration 

This is video on replacing the cam and cam gear.

Edited by JackC

grinchsr

Glad to see you found one Steve :flags-waveusa:  :flags-waveusa:

Ken B

I'm gonna have to make my way up to the Ponderosa soon to see what these are all about.. 

fireman

Wait till he gets the two parts in before you head up Ken. All he has to do is bolt in the new igniter and a coil and Steve should be good to go!

stevebo

Wait till he gets the two parts in before you head up Ken. All he has to do is bolt in the new igniter and a coil and Steve should be good to go!

Not really... I still need to paint the tins and put it back together. Ken you are more than welcome to stop and help :hide:

Lars

This one you just gona fell in love whit Steve.. lol
lots of power and great sound from that Vtwin engine.  i got new decals from Terry to my LXI and they are awesome!!!

20150310_231224_zpsjwj6tsor.jpg20150310_221828_zpseccpwlas.jpg

• Like 5