stratostar250

k301 Won't Stay Running

stratostar250

So, as a few of you may know, I recently bought a 1969 Charger 12.  I brought it home, not running, but luckily, I connected a pair of jumper cables, and after a little bit of cranking, she started, and runs pretty well, on two or three year old gas.   :laughing-rofl:   Now, maybe this belongs in the electrical section, but here it goes.  After I disconnect the jumper cables, It will continue to run for only about 20-30 seconds.  It seems to be more electrical related, because it acts as if the key switches off, I can't bring it back or even get a sputter by fooling with the choke or throttle.  I am not very educated in the electrical systems of these tractors, but I am a good listener and normally understand well!  :techie-eureka:   If you guys have any ideas, please let me know!  Even if you think it may be the old old gas getting to the carb for a second, or if it could even be the extremely dead battery (but i've ran tractors before with dead batteries and never had this problem).

Thanks for your help!  I appreciate it!  

squonk

If the battery is dead as well as the charging system, it will shut off. Put a battery in it and try it. If it stays running, half of your problem is solved. There is no way the ign. System will create a spark with out some form of 12 volt power. You have battery system with a coil. If you had a mag system, you could run it without a battery

• Like 2

stratostar250

If the battery is dead as well as the charging system, it will shut off. Put a battery in it and try it. If it stays running, half of your problem is solved. There is no way the ign. System will create a spark with out some form of 12 volt power. You have battery system with a coil. If you had a mag system, you could run it without a battery

Thanks for the info!  My next step will be to put a battery in it.  Normally if I ran a tractor with a dead battery, I could get it to at least click the starter over, so after they ran a little bit, they would hold a little charge, but this one seems to be stone dead, So that could be part of the problem, for sure.

Thanks!

stratostar250

I think I should change the title of this thread  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

post-12245-0-44003800-1427686485_thumb.j

I went out in the garage really quickly to check one thing, and I learned a lot more about my new tractor! I found out my Charger 12 has had a transplant at some point!  I'm glad I looked!  

Charger 10, shall I say?  :razz:

Edited by stratostar250

stevebo

Tom.

Drain the gas and clean the gas tank really good. Install all new fuel line and new in line fuel filter. Pull the carb and clean it then put it back on. Buy a new battery and give it a try. You are simply asking for problems trying to make it run without these steps on any tractor that has been sitting for a long time. If the mptor was changed to  10 that is not that big of an issue imo unless you are wanting it to be a pure original.

• Like 1

tunahead72

:text-yeahthat:

Ditto to everything Steve just said.  Until you get that old gas out of there and make sure you have a really clean fuel system, you could waste a lot of time on other things that may not be part of the problem.

stratostar250

Thanks guys. I honestly figured trying to run with the old gas was problematic by itself. I'll drain it, and clean the carb. I have no problem doing that. Where is the best place to get fuel line? I have some filters I can use, so that's no problem. Oh, and Duane messaged me, he said the P.O. Changed the tins, its still a 12 hp, so that's good to know!

953 nut

Any good auto parts shop will carry 1/4" fuel line and clamps. Be sure you use ethanol free gas in any lawn and garden equipment. Ethanol will eat up rubber parts and can go bad in no time. Go to buyrealgas.com on the internet and put in your zip code, it will show you where to find it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

stratostar250

Any good auto parts shop will carry 1/4" fuel line and clamps. Be sure you use ethanol free gas in any lawn and garden equipment. Ethanol will eat up rubber parts and can go bad in no time. Go to buyrealgas.com on the internet and put in your zip code, it will show you where to find it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'll post some follow-ups, for sure! Good to know that auto places carry fuel line! Sadly there are no ethanol free gas stations in my state. Just checked. :(

baerpath

I buy my gas line at a snowmobile shop. I don't use rubber line on anything.

stratostar250

I buy my gas line at a snowmobile shop. I don't use rubber line on anything.

This doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially since I've seen old gas lines rot, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.  What are the fuel lines you get made from? some sort of plastic?

baerpath

Neoprene

stratostar250

Well, I said I'd follow up, and I cleaned the carb real good, changed the gaskets, installed all new fuel line and a new fuel filter, and a new battery, and the tractor seems to run like a top now!  Now I have to tackle draining and putting new oil and a filter on the hydro!