clueless

312-8 Trans Noise

tunahead72

Chris,

Steve mentioned the low hours on this machine...

Are you certain it really only has 575 hours, or could it actually be much higher?  It certainly looks clean, but it is close to 30 years old, that's less than 20 hours a year.  Is it possible the hour meter isn't working properly, or didn't work for a period of time?

You mentioned it being dealer maintained (always?), but do you know how this tractor was used in the past?  These transmissions are really tough, I'm just looking for something that might explain what actually caused the noises you're hearing.

If you're on good terms with the guy you bought it from, you might consider giving him a call and picking his brain a bit.

• Like 1

k+s 1277

you sure its not belt loose and slaping the belt guard? had that happen once.

bitten

Does it make the noise in HIGH and LOW gear?

• Like 1

mey030

Not saying it is the problem but one thing when I worked at a shop in Bloomington Illinois I found out that the transition year between Toro and Wheel Horse somebody at the South Bend factory put the gifts together and not tightened the bolts would let loose that holds the two halves of the differential and start working out they would knock till the nut fell off then slide out far enough to lock the whole rear end. just a suggestion

• Like 1

stevasaurus

mey030...you just may be onto something here.  It would not be the first time a differential bolt backs out.  I am not saying this happened at south Bend, but the bolt backing out is a real possibility.  It would also explain the low hours on this horse.  :)

jrc0528

If it were a differential bolt you should hear it once per revolution.  This seems to be knocking many times per revolution, so I'm saying the bolt idea isn't it in this case.  Given the knock frequency the mushroom gear or the intermediate cluster shaft are most likely.  The input cluster and high/low gears are stationary in neutral, thus are not the culprit either.  It appears that the brake drum is on the intermediate cluster shaft on that unit, the frequency sound about right for a one per rev knock from that shaft.  Unbolt that drum and see if there's debris or a crack in it causing the knock.  Perhaps try rolling it with the drum off and see if the knock is gone.

Edited by jrc0528
  • Like 1