lodestonefarm

Spring Tractor Maintenance

lodestonefarm

Now that spring is here (or should be at least; forecast where I am is in the 20s over the weekend) I'd like to know what maintenance I should do on my tractor.  I purchased a 520 in the dead of winter to move snow.  And it did a great job at that.  Because of the length of daylight, the temperature, and the immediate need for moving snow I basically aired up the tires, put fuel (and a bit of Seafoam) in it and 'just ran it'.  Now that it's warming up, what should I do to get it ready for spring/summer service?  I don't have any indication from the previous owner of any recent maintenance done.  

Thanks in advance,

p

Sparky

Engine oil and filter change.

Tranny fluid and filter change and clean any grass build up off the hydro.

Air filter and fuel filter.

Grease the steering and front axle zerks.

!!! Most important!!!! Take the time to strip the engine tins and clean any and all crud from the motor especially the cooling fins!!!

Mike...........

• Like 4

Tankman

!!! Most important!!!! Take the time to strip the engine tins and clean any and all crud from the motor especially the cooling fins!!!

Mike...........

Ditto all!

And 'specially the engine tins. I'm amazed at what I've found. Worst being the mud wasps. That mud is like concrete.

I've used screw drivers to scrape the mud out.

Wire brush, air compressor, clean.

High temp black paint, new hardware, Never-Seez on the bolt / screw threads.

Since you have the deck off, take care of that while you're warm in the shop.   :)

lodestonefarm

Thanks for the tips.  I've got the supplies for the fluid change and the new filters.  When it comes to removing the sheet metal, are there any tricks, or is it pretty obvious once you get started?  

farmer

Add on to Mike's list,

Check rear hubs are tight, ( not working on the spindles).

Clean and lube transaxle hitch pin, (if it's not already seized). :coffee: 

Edited by farmer
  • Like 2

lodestonefarm

@Farmer-

How does one check the hubs?  Jack the tractor up and see if there is any out-of-plane play in the wheels?  

Where does one find the transaxle hitch pin?

jeff lary

Following along, all good advice.

farmer

The hubs should be flush with the end of the spindles, so as you say jack up and make sure there is no movement of the hub in or out or rotationally on the spindle.

The hubs are located with grub screws onto woodruff keys, movement can lead to damage of the spindle and hub. (you have to split the back axle to replace the spindle)

The transaxle pin holds the towing hitch to back axle, its a good idea to take off the 'C' clip slide the pin out ,clean it, lube and reinstall at least annually. If it seizes in the transaxle housing, it can be a real pain to remove. :thumbs:  :thumbs:

lodestonefarm

@farmer-

Thanks for the explanation.  

At 6am this morning it's 14 degrees F and we've got a dusting of snow.  I guess spring maintenance will have to wait another week.  

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
:wh: 

Mike...........

:USA:  :wh:  Ditto on that Mike. Especially the cooling fins. It is amazing how much air comes out when everything is clean. Enjoy the ride Gary    B.....

varosd

Also, start obtaining back up belts (i only use OEM) for decks, drive belts etc.  you need to be ready!

I also change out the fuel lines.

One benefit from the cleaning is you really get to know your machine. :D 

download a owners/parts/electrical manual from the super RS manuals section

lodestonefarm

I've downloaded the manual for my model/year.  Looks like any free time over Easter will be spent tinkering with my big red jelly bean.   :)

lodestonefarm

How many grease fittings/zerks should there be?  Not talking about implements here just the tractor itself? 

The most re-ward one I found is mid-way back on what looks to be part of the steering link between the steering wheel and the front axle.  This particular fitting seemed to have been interfering with one of the lift elements.  There's a lift arm here that has a little notch cut or worn out of it right where the metal arm meets the grease fitting.  This only happens when the arm is lifted.  This is NOT the arm that was used to raise and lower the plow, there's a second one under there.  It dangles from a chain and I'm not sure what it's for. Do others have this problem? 

Don1977

Note: when checking the hubs they should be tight with no movement in or out and rotational.  The axle will have a small in and out movement 1/8" or less is normal. If any hub movement is detected new a keys and new set screws are recommended.  

Edited by Don1977

dcrage

How many grease fittings/zerks should there be?  Not talking about implements here just the tractor itself? 

Well on 300 series 8-speed (and I assume 400 and 500 8-speeds) there would be 8 zerks -- 5 are on the front end, each front wheel bearing and each spindle and then on for the front axle to rotate (king pin?) -- Then there is one for the brake pedal to pivot and one for the clutch pedal to pivot -- And then there is one where the steering wheel assembly makes the transition from vertical to horizontal (you have to turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and I never remember which way to access this grease point) -- All of these points should also exist for tractors with hydros except you won't have the clutch location

Of course you need to grease your deck also (should be one on each blade spindle housing and on on each deck wheel) 

can whlvr

the mower deck lift arm is probally  the arm you r speking of,often it will hit the centre zerk on the mower deck,maybe this is the notch you mentioned

muz123

Ditto,  what they all said :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by muz123

lodestonefarm

Don, that probably is the case.  I've only had this machine a couple months and only just removed the snow plow.  I'm trying to work through the spring maintenance before putting the (big) mowing deck on.  Is it normal for this mowing deck arm to interfere with the grease fitting.  That doesn't seem right to me. 

tunahead72

...  Is it normal for this mowing deck arm to interfere with the grease fitting.  That doesn't seem right to me.

It happens, check this out...

lodestonefarm

Ed-

Thanks for posting that link.  I hadn't seen that.  I guess it's not uncommon which is good to know it isn't something specific to my machine.