marvins

frozen hydrostactic transmission bypass valve

marvins

I picked up a 74 C-160 late  last fall. The tractor is in average shape, needed tlc. The hydrostactic  transmission bypass valve is frozen. I have sprayed PB blaster on it a few times and can not get it to turn. I am wanting some help on what to do. I would like it to work so I can move it around in garage without starting it.

daveoman1966

That valve has a screwdriver slot to turn it, but impossible to get at...especially if stuck and most of them are.  Find a small pair of locking vise-grip pliers to clamp onto the side of the shaft.  You'll have to remove the left side foot rail and maybe the flat bar that the seat latch is bolted to in order to get at it.  Once you get the locking pliers on the valve, give it a QUICK rap with hand or wood block.  That ought to break it loose.  The trick is to give it a QUICK sudden rap, rather than to apply slow force pressure.  

I think if you try too much force with an off-set screwdriver, you'll wind up breaking off the end of the valve shaft.

post-1200-0-25981400-1427259647.jpg

Theroundhousernr

A hand impact driver would work nicely also. I use them a lot on stubborn Phillips heads on dirt bikes. Not sure if you can get in there with one though??