'83 GT1642 ignition switch type

PM83GT1642

Hi All,

New to Wheel Horse

post-14878-0-24038400-1427206529_thumb.j

post-14878-0-32637100-1427206540_thumb.j

post-14878-0-53203600-1427206551_thumb.j

post-14878-0-88725900-1427206561_thumb.j

so I'm a bit green.  Bought an '83 Work Horse GT 1642 (Original B&S), really like it and plan on refurbishing soon (bought decals already).  Recently started having issues with the ignition switch as it intermittently won't shut down after starting.  Disconnected, shined/tightened the male/female spades and worked well for a bit but became sporadic again.  Anyone know what type of ignition switch it takes.  Not near it at the moment or I wouldn't bug you.  Thanks for your insight.  Oh!  The one that's in it has a 5 spade connector and ground if that helps.    

Racinbob

:WRS:  The part number is 103991. :)

PM83GT1642

Thanks for the welcome (Glad to be aboard) and information.

Racinbob

You bet. The switches are readily available through numerous suppliers or on Ebay. Stick around and post some pictures as you refurbish it. Are you leaving her red or going back to gray?

Edited by Racinbob

PM83GT1642

Had that discussion with the nice fellow I got the decals from, he mentioned about gray too.  While I was on the phone with him I looked all over it to try to find a different color other than red somewhere but couldn't.  He chuckled as he said "I've been doing this for 30+ years and one thing I've learned is to not be surprised by something Wheel Horse may have done".  After we hung up I looked even more and came up with nothing.  If it was gray at one time, whoever painted it didn't miss a thing.  Is it possible OEM was red?     

Plan on keeping it red though due to snow thrower, deck, and tiller being red.  She certainly throws it a good distance, but I'm white too afterwards if the wind isn't in my favor.  Saw a listing where someone adapted a craftsman cab on his, come to think of it... his was a red GT1642 also.  Might try it, until then I'll rely on Carhartt.     post-14878-0-84829000-1427212726_thumb.j

Be happy to share picks of refurbish progress.

Edited by PM83GT1642

Racinbob

When you mentioned decals and nice fellow I'm assuming you were talking to Terry. He's so right about Wheel Horse doing some surprising (and strange) things. There was an older Work Horse line that was red but I thought all the 83's and 84's were gray. Who knows for sure. I think some of the anomalies were from Wheel Horse using up some inventory. One of my tractors was a gray 84 GT-1100. Look in the manuals section here under brochures and you'll find the the one for the 83 Work Horses. You have the dial-a-height thingy on yours but it looks to be an older style. If you get around to it measure the rear axle diameter. I checked the parts list and the 1642 used the same axles as my 1100 which were 1". I'm just curious. :)

On, by the way, one of the other things you don't want to do is blow snow into the wind. :eek:

PM83GT1642

Terry, from Redo Your Horse?  He requested before and after photos so I took a bunch to be able to send him upon completion.  Sale transaction took about 3 minutes but was on the phone for more than 20, learned a lot from him.  Dial-a-Height was my addition as the off and on again process to change blower skids height got old quick when transitioning from concrete driveway to backyard.  Foresaw a need for it when I use the rear tiller too.  The metal is thick and solid but I reinforced it well behind the gizmo just to be safe.  Happy with the results as it did very well for the amount of use it got, especially factoring in the weight of the blower.  It should handle the tiller easily (I hope).  Thanks for the tip about the snow but when it whips and changes direction and so do I, I wasn't quick enough to turn the chute.   

I'll check on the axle

Racinbob

Yup, that's the Terry. I wanted a little modification to a choke/throttle decal on my Suburban 400 and he called me to verify what I wanted. It turned out great. He definitely goes the extra mile to make us all happy. The dial-a-height was a great idea. They didn't come standard on the GT series but they had a kit just like the 300/400 series that you could put on. I bought my 1100 new and it had it already installed and I never realized it wasn't standard until a short time ago. I never thought about using an older style. There's got to be a lot of stress on it considering how close it is to the pivot point but it sounds like you installed it well.

I hear you about the wind and snow. I had 8-900 feet of driveway when we lived in Indiana. It never failed that I would look like a snowman after clearing it. :)