randym

Backspacing on 520-H rear rims?

randym

Hi all - 

Can anybody with a 520-H possibly take a few minutes sometime this week and let me know what the backspacing is on your rear rims?

I recently bought a 1992 520-H that has 23x10.5x12 turf tires -- OEM size -- but mounted on non-Wheel Horse rear rims. Naturally, the rims don't have the deeply negative offset that Wheel Horse used. So there's no clearance to install chains for winter use with my snowblower.

I'm having a hard time finding a used set of Wheel Horse rims for this model; size is 12x8.5. I've found a number of people offering what they say I want, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right item. For instance, one fellow, very nice, offered me a set he was certain were the right size, but when I measured them they were 12x7.

When I finally find a set and buy them, i want to be sure I'm getting the right thing. One way to be sure, besides measuring to see that they are indeed 8.5" wide, is to measure the backspacing. Or ask the seller to do so, long distance. Asking them to measure the offset doesn't make sense, it's a more involved calculation and different people use the term differently.

To measure the backspacing precisely, you need to take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard (tractor side) of the wheel. Then, measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. I figure a tape measure from back (tractor side) of the wheel hub to the edge of the wheel is close enough for my purposes.

So ... if anyone is willing to take the assignment, I'll appreciate it. With that information, incidentally, if I have to buy 12x7 wheels, I can measure the backspacing on them and figure out how fat of a tire I can use and still have the clearance i need for chains.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

gwest_ca

Wheel rim width is measured from tire bead to tire bead. So a 7" rim is about 7-1/2" to 7-3/4" overall width. Just throwing this up so everyone is on the same page.

Garry

randym

Right-o.

Ed Kennell

Randy,  :WRS: ...  Using your method, I measure 1-11/16" on my 520.

I have ~1" clearance between inside of chains to seat support.   I have raised the fenders and seat 2" on mine.

post-7208-0-88205000-1427154077_thumb.jppost-7208-0-51167900-1427154102_thumb.jp

randym

Thanks, Ed.

shallowwatersailor

You could use wheel spacers or wheel shims to use the present wheels as is. If you do wheel spacers, get the concentric style which will have a lip for the hub hole on the wheel.

randym

Thanks Eric. I assume I'm looking at your wheel spacers there? I took a quick look around on the xtrememotorworks website and didn't see those, but I'll look closer when I have more time. I noticed a section for Cub Cadet parts, nothing for Wheel Horses, but I assume that's where I should be looking? If you have a part number, let me know.

Best,

Randy

Eric C

Click on cub cadet parts, then tires rims and weights. Scroll down till you see part CC-01-001-2.5

ba01bceff12e29f41b0ef9cf86c8facc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmsgaffer

Eric: Those spacers dont look like they are sitting flush with the hub (so if the bolts arent tighted even they will wobble)? Are they being held out by something or is that an optical illusion?

randym

Thanks, Eric. Will I be able to bolt the spacers onto the wheel using the existing bolts on my tractor? (Sorry, I'm a mechanical idiot.) Either way, what additional hardware will I need to buy?

Eric C

Brandon, there is a small gap. There is a small lip in the center of the WH hub. I just tightened evenly, and used blue lock tight.

Eric C

Randy,

Your existing WH wheel bolts will be too short. I used 7/16x20x1.25 bolts from Fastenal. The one on the right in the picture.

99fe6e38dbd949a5e42b92ad578cf7b3.jpg

And, you will need 7/16 coarse thread bolts to mount the wheel to the spacer.

I could not find either with a conical lug shaped head, so I just used blue locktite and really tightened them down. No problems so far.

Edited by Eric C

JackC

Here are some pics of a 520H rear wheel.  The offset is technically relative to the center of the wheel.

For Wheel Horse 8.5 X 12 rims the mounting plate is right up to one side of the rim compared to others.

post-4541-0-80789700-1427322709_thumb.jp

post-4541-0-62672000-1427322720_thumb.jp

post-4541-0-32241700-1427322730_thumb.jp

randym

Great photos; very helpful. Thanks.

Eric C

Randy,

Your existing WH wheel bolts will be too short. I used 7/16x20x1.25 bolts from Fastenal. The one on the right in the picture.

99fe6e38dbd949a5e42b92ad578cf7b3.jpg

And, you will need 7/16 coarse thread bolts to mount the wheel to the spacer.

I could not find either with a conical lug shaped head, so I just used blue locktite and really tightened them down. No problems so far.

Correction. I meant to write nuts:

And, you will need 7/16 coarse thread NUTS to mount the wheel to the spacer.