HorseHead1089

k161 question and starter gen help

HorseHead1089

I was Wondering if there are slight changes like carb, ignition, plugs, other interchangeable parts that will add power and or extend the life of my kohler k161. also where would i see about purchasing a starter generator/bracket, which i could possibly make? eletric start would be real nice right now.

HorseHead1089

Now I mainly need to know about the Starter Generator and if brackets can be made or easily found. however any tips and tricks to make it run more efficient or  slight power/response gains would be nice to know.

Edited by HorseHead1089

slammer302

Keeping the carb clean and adjusted and oil changed and clean the carbon from under the head every once in while will keep HP up and extend the life of ur Kohler.

HorseHead1089

Ok it needs a head gasket, so ill check that end out of things, so what about a starter/generator?

wallfish

You can add the parts like a flywheel pulley, S/G with regulator, belt and brackets to make it electric start. Place a wanted ad on here, search ebay and craigslist for the parts.

As far as looking for more power, it's much easier and less expensive to just find a larger engine, preferrably with electric start and all your problems are solved at once.

formariz

I have been trying to fit a K161 with a starter generater and found that generater will not crank it over(belt will slip). I think the k161 may not have a compression release. It may have to have the double pulley/belt system so belt wont slip.

Keep in mind also that the starter generater also steals power from engine not only due to the engine running it constantly but also due to its weight.

• Like 1

HorseHead1089

Argh you're right might as well leave it then it's not that big a deal. I'm trying to find a kohler m8 instead. Anyways thanks for pointing that out.

Terry M

I have been trying to fit a K161 with a starter generater and found that generater will not crank it over(belt will slip). I think the k161 may not have a compression release. It may have to have the double pulley/belt system so belt wont slip.

Keep in mind also that the starter generater also steals power from engine not only due to the engine running it constantly but also due to its weight.

I've have herd it argued that when referring to the early k161's...(i.e. ,the 701) that it's not true that the double pulley system was installed due to lack of a compression release .   Can anybody confirm if this is fact or not.   I personally have never been inside a k161 before and formariz's statement about the belt slipping just makes me wonder...