Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Horse haulers

Nick

After looking at Terrys nice new hauler thought I would start a Horse hauler topic.

My truck is a plain worker 1999 F-250 xl 5.4l 4x2 with 147K on her so far. Found this one on ebay last year. The gooseneck tri-axle trailer is 8 x 19 and rated 21,000 gvw, kind of overkill for the Wheel Horse but it can fit more than a couple tractors and attachments. Small trailer is a 5x10 that I built last spring. Cant stop looking for that perfect trailer, had 7 or 8 trailers the last 5 years. :D

I also replaced that jack on the 5x10. Had to put a fold up jack on it. lol

wapakswaptrailer-1.jpg

f250.jpg

5x10LRsmaller.jpg

T-Mo

Nick,

Nice truck - I like the looks of Ford's Super Duty trucks. With that truck and that big trailer you have, you should be set for hauling a lot of horses.

As for my haulers, everyone here I guess has saw my "new to me" Dodge Dakota. It replaced a V6 Dakota. I also have a 6 x 14 single axle trailer with a 5 foot ramp gate. It can hold two tractors and still have room for more stuff. Here are a couple of pictures (ignore the color) :D

trailerloaded2.jpg

And one that has the old blue Dakota in it:

trailerloaded.jpg

Nick

Terry,

Nice trailer even if it is green. LOL I painted the gooseneck dark green because TSC had it on clearance sale. 14' is a nice size trailer, Ive been watching for something around that size but no luck yet. I kind of like deck-over trailers so that makes it harder to find. The gooseneck length is ok problem is the thing has an empty weight somewhere around 4,400 pounds!

nylyon

Mine serves a double duty as the Horse Hauler with the 4x8 utility trailer and the 34' camping trailer. It's a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L Hemi V8 with 3.92 gears and 4x4 , 8900 lbs towing. Thinking of trading in for an F350 crew cab diesel in June but we'll wait and see.

camping.JPG

Rollerman

Here's mine ...A F250 4X4 with a thirsty V10 I have a 6X12 tilt trailer I pull most the time...but also have this big flatdeck trailer thats around 18X8.

Sorry didn't have a pick of it with the horses on it. :D

HPIM1237.jpg

kj4kicks

Here's my old Ford that Terry was refering to. I hate having the topper on it, but it does keep the stuff dry!

P1014963.JPG

Started out as a '71 F-100 302 3speed with manual everything. Now has a 351W with a C-6 auto, power disc brakes, power steering, and 3/4 ton running gear. Another garage-built & painted special.

Eldon

T-Mo

Karl,

How many times do you get asked, "Does that thing have a Hemi?" Nice rig.

Eldon,

I like the late 60's and 70's Fords - next to the late 50's and 60's, it was their best looking trucks. I could say the same for the late 50's and 60's Dodges and GM trucks, though I'm not fond of the 70's Dodges.

nylyon

Actually, never the license plate reads: "HEMI NY" in big blue NY letters. :D and it will pull that big trailer up steep hills at 65 with ease!

Nick

Karl,

The diesels are great engines but cant hurt to try a V10 if there is one. They might not get the mileage but the over $5,000 in price difference buys a lot of gas. lol My brother has a 99 F-450 diesel with 4.88 gears that is a pulling machine. Its also over 8,000 pounds. I can haul a couple tractors on the 8x10 flatbed.

My truck made a good test weight. lol

test002.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_vkLRI21Xo Video on youtube

nylyon

My Mom used to have an F350 with a 460CI engine. It was super powerful but when she hooked her 5th wheel to it it was like my Hemi, 9MPG and I suspect the V10 will be about the same. I'm planning on using the truck to tow the trailer, then upgrade to a big 5th and travel around the country. I don't think that the gasser is gonna do what I need the truck to do. Not going to buy new this time, cause you're right the diesel is much more initially, but I can get a nice used one reasonably priced.

combatmp29r

Ok I had to fix the trailer today from fatherly abuse. He borrowed it to haul a tiller for my BIL's compact tractor. Lost the keys to the hitch lock, and had to cut the latch because nothing he had would cut the lock :D

So It was given a new hitch after torching the bolts off!! Welded the nuts on so no one could take it off, and I pulled the rear gate off. I have had enough of the parachute effect. I built the trailer from the ground up, so I 'm going to cut up the 5' gate and make it into 2 12" wide ramps that slide side to side for adjust ment like our 40ton lowboy. Oh yeah gotta put a new jack on it too. Neighbor took out the solid mounted one. Looked like Nick's :P

He bought me a new swinging one just not painted and on yet.

Trailer11.jpg

Heres my 18mpg $1000 Chevy truck with the trailer

Trailer13.jpg

baerpath

I used to have a V10 Ford with a 16ft enclosed trailer averaged 10mpg 16 empty, Needed more room for the 260+ horser so went to a 28ft enclosed and a diesel F 250. Trailer grosses 11450 loaded for pulls. And now get 15mpg loaded and 20 empty.

The V10 could pull but the diesel pulling almost twice the weight can stomp it on hills.

I would never go back to a V10 but thats just me

Oh and the old 96 diesel just hit 400,000 about a week ago :D

T-Mo

Joel,

Nice looking tailer. What size is it?

combatmp29r

Terry its 5' 2"wide between the fenders and 9' long. Small to some peoples standards, but I can fit 3 of the verticals on it easily which is plenty for me.

TT

a186f168.jpg

:P:( :D

combatmp29r

Yep definately smaller than that one :D