kolvari

1533 ball bearing

kolvari

Cracked mine 6-speed transmission case on a 1973 Raider 12, and bought one from ebay.

It's otherwise alike, but ball bearing od 2.5" is like 4mm too small to it.

Anyone have a clue on this?

Where to get a bearing like that?

I'm in Finland.

Thank You

Tom Sjoberg

Kirkkonummi, Finland

+358456390639

tomteus@gmail.com

rmaynard

The Raider 12 transmission does use the 1533 bearing, but unfortunately, it is no longer available, and no other manufacturer is making them. There are still some folks selling them used. If you are in need of one, I have a couple of good used ones that I could sell to you. PM me if you are interested, and I will let you know how much it would cost to send them to Finland.

• Like 1

kolvari

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough.

I cracked LH case, and bought a new one.

This new case is just like the original, but the hole/slop where you place the 1533 bearing is bigger.

My 2.5" OD original bearing would need 4mm more in OD.

The wall of the slop is even 1-2mm thicker than in original case, so I don't think it's been modified.

Thinking as if someones been struggling on finding a 1533 bearing and put a bigger one on.

Tom

C-101plowerpower

okay, just to get it right, you broke the LH casing, bought another one of off ebay. but when you put the original 1533 bearing in the new casing the bearing seems to small?

does it look like the "new" casing is machined out for a bigger bearing? or does it look unmodified/ worn? 

stevasaurus

Tom...where did that half of trans case come from on E-Bay.  Did it come from over seas...ie. Belgium??  It sounds like you got the wrong case half for what you have.  TORO did something with getting around the 1533 bearing (I think, using a needle bearing), but I think it was newer tractors.  We are looking into it but it may help to know where you got that.  Can you post some picks??

BTW...welcome to Red Square. 

gwest_ca

Looks like the 1533 ball bearing was last used in 1984.

1985 and up they used a 111199 ball bearing listed as having a 40mm ID.

Some transmissions got different bearings in 1984 but could be replaced with the 1533 plus a spacer washer so that OD should be OK.

Garry

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Thanks Garry...I was hopping you would weigh in here.  Do you know the dimensions of the 111199 bearing??  Is TORO the only place you can get this??  :)

Racinbob

40mm = 1.575". Interesting. If the OD is about 4mm or 5/32" larger than the 1533 there's the issue. Garry, I was planning on researching this tomorrow but if you can give the OD it will confirm it. Steve, it's starting to sound like the replacement case half is from a later model. Tom, you're probably going to be replying when we're sleeping over here but the info Steve mentioned might solve the mystery.

gwest_ca

Some of the ipl's list the 111199 bearing as having a 40mm ID.

Did a search using that number and low and behold I find a site that list a 111199 bearing  as a SKF 6008 ball bearing. The dimensions listed are 

1.5748" ID = 40mm

2.6772" OD = 68mm

.5906" wide = 15mm

Good chance that is the correct replacement.

Garry

Adding

1.500" = 38.1mm

2.500" = 63.5mm

• Like 2

kolvari

Thanks, now we're getting somewhere.

Looks to me it's not machined, got it from US.

Already been to a bearing shop, a few serious ones left.

If a matching bearing can't be found then I just have to look for a spacer.

A few bad photos attached.

Thank You guys.

Tom

post-13887-0-62079400-1427193009_thumb.j

post-13887-0-36526300-1427193076_thumb.j

• Like 1

kolvari

Oh, missed the previous postings when posting this.

But it's getting hot. This 68mm has to be it. The 4mm I mentioned is by eye but close.

What about the 40mm ID, is it ok?

Racinbob

Check the diameter of the differential end caps to see if the 40mm is OK. By any chance is there a number stamped on that case?

racinfool40

Ok, I am gonna try to chime in on this as I have ran into this problem myself....as I have been buying up a lot of transmissions and sometime have no idea what they came out of...the 111199 bearing is bigger and Maybe Garry can confirm this as I couldn't find any part number for this...But the 111199 bearing is the same one used in the Eaton 700-1100 hydro units..I have a set here at my desk beside another set of 1533 bearings....Kolvari has the newer style 8-speed trans machined for the 111199 bearing and an older side..so you will have to find this shim kit both in the outside diameter and for depth as the 111199 bearing is thicker also or get the correct case....or get a 11199 bearing and get a bushing for the differential end cap to make up the 2 mm difference on the inside diameter of the bearing for the end cap of the differential on one side

I learned this by buying up the eaton 700 and 1100 tranny's to get the axles and differentials out of them to swap into 8 speeds..the end caps have to machined down to fit the 1533 bearings.....

• Like 1

Racinbob

Thanks Mike, that's good stuff and sure clears up what Toro did. If that SKF 6008 is a direct replacement they are available for < $10 vs the $55-$65 as a Toro part #.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent Mike and Garry...real good information.  Tom not sure what shipping is, but maybe you could just get the correct case half from Mike (racinfool40).  :)

Thanks for the pictures.

Lane Ranger

Tom:  I am glad you posted this bearing inquiry on Red Square!  It provided an opportunity to learn some very good information !

• Like 1

racinfool40

Just so everyone knows...these 111199 bearings are not gonna be replacements for the 1533 bearings...unless you want to take the case half and have them machined for the bigger 111199 bearings....And Sorry Tom and Steve I am out of 8-speed trans cases....I have alot of parts here but no cases...have a boat load of 4 speed cases...unless guys start parting out mid 80's and newer tractors with 8 speed tranny's this is still gonna be a hard fix...alot of these tractors are still running great today so getting parts to fix is gonna be tough.

• Like 1

19richie66

Ok I am sure its been on here somewhere but what exactly makes it an 8 speed? I have 3 mid 80's tractors with the 1,2,3 forward and the reverse plus high/low. Just wondering. If someone has a link to a post describing it I would appreciate a link so you dont have to type it all out. Thanks, Richie

racinfool40

1,2,3,reverse in low......1,2,3,reverse in high...8 speeds.....Raiders were tagged a 6 speeds.....some call them 4-high/low...just like the 4-speeds...some call them 3 speeds...just depends on were you are at and what terminology you use..

19richie66

Cool. Thanks.

kolvari

Yeah, 1533 ID 38,1mm and 12,7mm wide,

111199 ID 40mm and 15mm wide.

Won't give up though, I will try to search for shim kit and a bearing that would fit straight.

Meanwhile I am willing to buy a LH case if some of you have one laying aroung.

Thank You all.

Tom

post-13887-0-47328700-1427227510_thumb.j

post-13887-0-38264600-1427227539_thumb.j

post-13887-0-41738900-1427227562_thumb.j

stevasaurus

Tom, you might want to start a thread in the want ads section to see if some one here has a left hand case that uses the #1533 bearing.  :)  Keep us posted.

Callen

Mike,

Will the newer end cap that fits the larger bearing bolt up to the differential that he already has?

Chester

racinfool40

Callen, Yes it will...he would need the end cap and bearing.....but only if it is the 8-pinion...the 10-pinion was never installed in the newer tractors with the 111199 bearing....not sure what they used overseas...my 1973-12-8 raider was the 10 pinion....so will depend on what trans was used overseas.

stevasaurus

Mike, I believe Tom has the #5086 transmission.  That transmission is a 4 pinion differential with 1" axles.  Tom could verify the axle diameter for us.  If it is 1' diameter it is 4 pinion.  1972 was the last year for the Raider, Tom says his horse is 1973...definitely a Belgium horse, so anything is possible.  :)  We need to figure this out before he starts ordering more parts.