duke

18 Auto/D-180 PTO Assembly Help

duke

I have had three PTO assemblies and ruined two of them already! The diagram shows a specific sequence of parts and the One I just received looks to be partially backwards with respect to parts,

102911 collar,102918 ring internal and finally 102917 ring external. I don't imagine there is much difference which way the collar faces but is it critical to be identical to the diagram? The part 102905 clutch plate appears to be pressed through the part 102914 bearing and then held with the part 102917 ring external?

I really need help to get this right and all the service manuals do not show this vital aspect of the assembly at all, which is quite strange if you ask me! In the photo of the replacement PTO you can clearly see the part 102918 ring internal on the back side of the collar, which is wrong according to the diagram, but is it critical and should it be corrected? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-8365-0-39760400-1426810778_thumb.gi

post-8365-0-52641100-1426810814_thumb.jp

gwest_ca

Anything in the service manual that would help? Pto is in section 9.

Garry

duke

No, there is no mention of the sequence in the manual but I found a video of another PTO torn apart and the collar was as pictured in the diagram. I mean it wouldn't be much to press it out, if I knew exactly what part is supposed to be pressed out! I imagine the bearings would of been replaced at one time or another, so where is that service manual to be found, if one exist at all? Ha,ha,ha! Thanks for the suggestion, I have the same manual already.

gwest_ca

Most ball bearings are designed to take a radial load. There are a few series of ball bearings designed to take a lateral load as in this clutch application. The ball grooves in the inner and outer races are angled to accomplish this so the force is applied to one specific side of the bearing. I do not know how the sides are identified so one knows how to install it. That would concern me more than the strength of the bearing retaining ring. It has to be as strong as the cast flange on the other side of the housing.

Garry

duke

So if I press out the back clutch plate and in turn reverse the collar, the bearing could end up backwards? The PO had put this together in this manner for a reason, perhaps to make removal of the bearing easier in the future? The snap ring should hold the pressure and is as strong as the casting on the collar, makes me wonder and I really don't want to try an press out anything if it isn't necessary! I did notice the internal ring on the double pulley was out of the grove, which might explain why there was some rubbing going on the clutch bar . I was going to bring the clutch bar to work and sand them flat again, remove the "groves", however, I wonder about weakening the bars?

I had a long wait finding yet another clutch, so I really don't want to mess it up!

gwest_ca

Toro wants $140 for the 102914 bearing so you could likely get it for 1/2 that at a bearing supplier. Still that is an expensive bearing in my books making me believe it may have a specific contact angle. If it does then I would think it must be installed with the load on a specific side. How that side is identified could be answered by an experienced bearing supplier. I could also be 100% wrong.

Most retaining rings are stamped so one side has sharp edges and the other side are rounded. A rounded edge can be forced out of a groove when under pressure.

Garry

duke

The retaining rings used on the clutch are the type that wind around the grove, not a C clip or typical two hole ring. I'm not sure yet on the load side of the bearings, not it's identity. I will find out though. Thanks. Yes, I already found out the hard way about the load side of these expensive bearings! I found this which is the correct assembly. Now if I bought the other one from a Mechanical Engineer, wouldn't you "think", that he knew it was backwards?

post-8365-0-01174900-1426895336_thumb.jp

Edited by duke

Marv

Garry,

That is very interesting. I don't know why but I never thought about that. Makes perfect sense. I guess I just automatically "assumed" that a ball bearing was all directional. Learn something new every day.

Marvin

duke

I have reversed the clutch assembly to match the diagram and reinstalled it to a new double pulley with new spring washers and viola! It's like a new PTO!

• Like 1