cruisnblue48

Need opinions about my Commando 800

cruisnblue48

I bought this Wheel Horse tractor late last summer. The po was in the process of converting it into a puller by mounting John Deere round fenders and seat, 26-12-12 tires, and a foot throttle accelerator on it. The engine was also replaced.

I know the model number is 1-0110 which is on the steering column tag. That tells me this tractor was originally a 1972 Commando 800. Apparently the hood was previously repainted and the wrong decals for a Commando 8 were put on it. I also know the Commando 800 was only made in 1972.

Does anyone here at RedSquare know how many Commando 800's were manufactured in 1972 and if this model is somewhat rare since it was only manufactured for one year?

The reason I ask is that I already bought replacement Commando 800 foot rests and seat pan from RS member funengineer.  I'm now thinking it might be easier for me to restore this tractor back into a stock 1972 Commando 800 rather than continue down the puller track (no pun intended). So, I am looking for your opinions... what do y'all think???  :eusa-think:

post-5879-0-62021300-1426810186_thumb.jp

post-5879-0-67361500-1426810201_thumb.jp

post-5879-0-92558300-1426810291_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Sparky

I think it looks pretty cool just the way it is!

I would put-put around a tractor show on that with no problem.

My vote.....leave it as is (maybe a quieter exhaust).

Mike...........

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Hope we see it as a contender in Wild Bill's 2015 :wh: crackle fest.   :thumbs: 

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

I just did some more research this evening. A 1972 Commando 800 is supposed to have a 4-speed manual transaxle. This tractor has an 8-speed manual trans... Trans swap maybe?  :eusa-think:  I also did a RedSquare forum search for "Commando 800" topics and found a post in 2010 by now inactive member MrEricT from near Williamsport, PA who had a Commando 800 for sale at that time. The tractor he was selling had a 4-speed to 8-speed transaxle swap and he also swapped out the 8hp K181 with a 12hp K301. Unfortunately, all of the photobucket photos posted by MrEricT have been deleted. I will have to look tomorrow what engine is on mine but I know it is not the original K-181. Just wondering if that tractor MrEricT was selling five years ago somehow migrated 100 miles south of there. I bought this one last year from a young man near Dillsburg, PA and I am pretty sure he said the engine was a 12hp transplant. So, I don't know if all this is just a coincidence or ???.

Edited by cruisnblue48

cruisnblue48

Mike, yeah the stack on my Commando 800 is quite loud to say the least.

Craig, my "Wildfire" puller had reserved a spot at Wild Bill's 2014 Crackle Fest and will probably do so again this year.

post-5879-0-58291600-1426828297.jpg

• Like 2

Racinbob

I have no clue how many Commando 800's were made but they really aren't rare. The 8-speed is definitely a transplant but a nice one. This one has been in the family 30+ years now. I restored it several years ago and obviously there's a few minor modifications to it.

post-8408-0-05647800-1426852552_thumb.jp

cruisnblue48

Ok, so then I apparently have a rare Commando 1200 8-speed ;-)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yup Dave and I like it. :handgestures-thumbsup:

546cowboy

Actually there was a Commando 800 Hydro too. My "High Horse" started out as a Commando 800 but the only parts left are the sheet metal.

I think it looks really good the way it is and I wouldn't change it.

post-1334-0-54083600-1426988080_thumb.jp

• Like 1

squonk

I'd leave it as is also but maybe a nice chrome pipe instead of that Dodge Cummins monster!  :)

And you "Crackle Fest" guys, do you know how hard it is to negotiate a tractor sale with all that racket?  :) 107109581avatar_zpsikexz08u.gif

• Like 1

kudzu3

Mike...........

Yep...me too.

cruisnblue48

And you "Crackle Fest" guys, do you know how hard it is to negotiate a tractor sale with all that racket?  :) 107109581avatar_zpsikexz08u.gif

Mike, this year you just might want to close that deal before Wild Bill gets his hands on the microphone... just sayin'  :banana-rock:

• Like 1

cruisnblue48

Mike...........

Sparky, I am planning on making changes to my Commando 800, probably some kind of customizing since it does not have the original engine and transaxle. I'm afraid all of the Wheel Horse purists will run me out of Arendtsville if I putter around the Big Show on a tractor sporting John Deere fenders, ha!  :angry-nono:

squonk

Mike, this year you just might want to close that deal before Wild Bill gets his hands on the microphone... just sayin'  :banana-rock:

I was negotiating with a guy for a couple of months before the show and of course he shows up right at the beginning of the Crackle Fest.
  • Like 1