Sign in to follow this  
HarleyMan46929

Rear PTO-powered Leaf Blower

HarleyMan46929

I live in a small wooded area, and, in the Fall, leaves are constantly a struggle. If I leave them on the grass, they get wet over the winter, make a heavy, wet blanket, smother out the grass, and I have larger bare patches. I've had the experience of using the "little" (operative word here) carts that follow the tractor, and have their own fan run by a B/S or Tecumseh engine. All I got done was empty that darn thing...not near big enough to handle the amount of leaves I'm dealing with (approx. 350 deciduous trees, and a few pine and cedar to have some green through the winter months).

The woods is mowed like a lawn, at least the parts that still have some grass/weeds growing in them. What I'm considering making is a blower, sort of like the "BillyGoat"-style except have it attach to the 3 pt hitch, and be run by the rear PTO on my D180, which should spin the fan at near HURRICANE force, and, hopefully, move the leaves to someplace bare where I can burn them and be done with them. Even if I had to wind-row several rows across the woods, it would sure beat raking them....which I don't intend to get started at in the first place....worn-out shoulders!!!

Does any company make one of these PTO-style "BillyGoat" blowers? Or am I going to have to "REDNECK" one up??? Maybe I'll have to do the "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" thing, and make my own!!!!

sorekiwi

I guess this should be in the Implements or modifications section?

I hadnt thought about a blower mounted behind the tractor, but I once considered mounting a furnace fan (squirrel cage) on the front, driving it from the engine PTO to blow the leaves out into the open. I'd build it so it mounts on the quick attach mount on the front (kinda like they mount the chipper/shredders).

Wouldnt be hard to do, hard part is getting the round tuit....

Docwheelhorse

Hi--wouldn;t be cheap... but I have considered buying a large HP Giant Vac blower and welding on mounts so that it would simply hang off of either the snow plow on the front or the three point on the back. They do sell three point hitch blowers that run off of the PTO---but they are VERY EXPENSIVE and require lots of HP. Type in 3 pt blower in Ebay and take a look.

Tony

BairleaFarm

I guess this should be in the Implements or modifications section?

I hadnt thought about a blower mounted behind the tractor, but I once considered mounting a furnace fan (squirrel cage) on the front, driving it from the engine PTO to blow the leaves out into the open. I'd build it so it mounts on the quick attach mount on the front (kinda like they mount the chipper/shredders).

Wouldnt be hard to do, hard part is getting the round tuit....

x2 ive actually got on in my driveway just finding time to mess with it.

HarleyMan46929

This is more of an "update" to my original post. I have discovered that a snowblower makes a semi-dandy way of moving large amounts of leaves, although not a perfectly clean path, but it will definitely reduce the amount of raking needed. You've just got to be careful about getting rocks/gravel mixed up since it will make turning the directional chute all but impossible.

sorekiwi

This is more of an "update" to my original post. I have discovered that a snowblower makes a semi-dandy way of moving large amounts of leaves, although not a perfectly clean path, but it will definitely reduce the amount of raking needed. You've just got to be careful about getting rocks/gravel mixed up since it will make turning the directional chute all but impossible.

I heard they're pretty good for firing dog turds into your neighbors yard too! :hide: