dtoeppe85

5053 Rebuild

dtoeppe85

Just recently started a rebuild on a 5053 transmission from a 1968 Lawn Ranger. The few things I know for sure right now are both axle seals leak and it slips out of 3rd gear most of the time (only stays in 3rd on flat, paved surface). All other gears work fine. Also, I busted the drive pulley trying to remove it, so I'll have to replace that also. I have the drive pulley and both hubs off, now I'm working on the brake drum. I finally got it to move a little last night, but not much. It's soaking in ATF/Acetone today and I'll try more tonight.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be with 3rd gear? Also, anything else I should do/replace while I have it torn apart?

Jake Kuhn

From what I've heard when they pop out of gear the 2nd/high sliding gear is usually worn where it slides on the input shaft. When you take it apart put them together and see if there is play in them, it will probably need replaced. As you are probably aware when taking it apart I would change all seals and the gasket, and make sure all the bearings are ok too, most of the ones I have taken apart have had bad axle bearings, but sometimes they are ok.

• Like 1

Racinbob

The third gear issue is going to be the hook up between the 3523 Hi/2nd gear and 3522 input gear. here's a picture of a worn 3523 and a NOS. I would suggest starting by watching the videos here. A good inspection of everything and some pictures and you'll find all the help you'll need right here. It's really pretty straight forward once you get into it. For sure replace all the seals. :)

I was typing when Jake posted. He's spot on.post-8408-0-40677400-1426596204_thumb.jp

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

dtoeppe85

Thanks for the information. I've seen the rebuild videos from stevasaurus. Without them, I probably wouldn't have even attempted to do this myself.

• Like 3

Racinbob

I the type of guy that doesn't hesitate to tear into anything but I have to admit I was apprehensive about a complete tear down on my 5010. After watching the videos and pestering Steve on Skype numerous times I quickly discovered it's a piece of cake but there are little details you need to be aware of. Working on these trannys is really pretty fun. Once it's determined what parts you need you'll get help on that as well. You definitely came to the right place for willing, friendly help.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Be sure to take plenty of pictures...we like pictures and they will help us help you.   :)

• Like 1

dtoeppe85

Well, here is the only picture I have right now, but I will definitely take more once I get it opened up.

post-13303-0-55496400-1426609197_thumb.j

• Like 1

dtoeppe85

So I finally got the brake drum off and the case opened up. As suspected, the 3523 Hi/2nd gear is worn. Anybody have one they are willing to part with? Also, I noticed some rust on the axle starting at the differential case, extending about 2". Is that common and/or something to be concerned with?

I was a little short on time tonight, so I went right for what I thought was the issue. Hopefully I can inspect everything else tomorrow night.

post-13303-0-03619300-1426720886_thumb.j

post-13303-0-91138800-1426720918_thumb.j

Edited by dtoeppe85
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Yup, I'd say that 3523 gear is a paperweight. Total toast. Hows the 3522 input gear/shaft? That rust on the axle baffles me. Was it full of water? In my opinion the best thing to do is get everything inspected and post more pictures. You'll be getting help on the parts.

dtoeppe85

Here is a picture of the 3522 input gear. I drained, flushed with diesel and refilled last fall and did not notice any water. I can only speak for the last 20 years or so, but it has always been stored inside. What's strange to me is that the rust is isolated to that one location.

post-13303-0-43414000-1426761914_thumb.j

Racinbob

I'm thinking that input gear will be OK but again, not that 3523 gear. I'm a little late in asking this but did you have any in/out play in the input shaft? I did on mine. It was a 5010 transmission but for what we're dealing with here they are the same. When I would put it in 3rd I could push the shifter past the detent stop. Of course it would pop back to the detent but that disengaged the gears close to 1/8" and allowed the in/out play. I solved the issue by using an arbor shim on the input shaft behind the gear. I'm really not certain that was the correct fix and was tempted to open it up again but it is complete and painted and working fine so I decided to leave it as is. I believe your input shaft along with the 3523 gear on the right in my picture will work for you depending on how hard you plan on working this tractor. The NOS gear on the left is in my tranny now. Steve will be along shortly so let's see what he thinks.

How do the other gears, bearings, etc. look?

Edited by Racinbob

stevasaurus

The rust is a non-issue.  Just wire wheel it clean and put a little Lucas Oil on it.  Input shaft looks like it is OK...need the 2nd/3rd fork gear though.  Send a PM to "Racinfool40" first.  Jake Kuhn may have one...after that we really have to ask around.  :)  Mentone swap is coming up in a few weeks...I can keep an eye open for you if we do not find on by then.  :)

• Like 1

racinfool40

I have a couple descent 3523 gears left...They are getting hard to come by..I just tore down 12..3-4 speed Transmissions and only a couple of them had descent 3523 gears..I also have just about anything else if you would need it...Let me know.

• Like 1

dtoeppe85

Thanks for the help. I did not specifically check if there was any in/out play in the input shaft, but I do not remember any. I don't plan on using the tractor too hard, just snow plowing and towing a small garden trailer.  Would it be worth it to just replace the input gear while I have it apart?

Really, the only reason I have the tractor is because it's been in my family (or with a close family friend) since new. My grandfather originally purchased it to give my dad and uncles a job, mowing and plowing for neighbors.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I think with a decent 3523 gear and a good hook up it would be fine but plowing snow might tax it since that's usually done in 3rd.

stevasaurus

What are your chances for coming down to Mentone for the swap??  We might be able to show you why it is worth it to make this horse whole...and then you would not say "the only reason I have this tractor is because...."  Number 1...you can not buy them like this any more.  You may end up saying..."this horse...my grandfather bought it new...I want to fix it up and pass it on in the family".  I can tell you this...it has another 50 years in it...if you think it is worth it.  If you don't think so...bring it to Mentone...someone there (maybe me) will keep it for another 50 years.  Does that tell you something??  :eusa-think:   :)

dtoeppe85

Looks like everything else is in good shape. I plan on replacing all the seals and the 1528 axle bearings, along with the Hi/2nd gear and the input gear. Now I just have to wait for the weather to get nice enough to paint the case.

As for the Mentone swap, I may be able to make it. My statement about the only reason for having the tractor came across wrong. I probably shouldn't have said it like that either. I'm glad I have this tractor and it has been a fun project that I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy. All I meant was, had this tractor not been in the family, I probably would not have pursued it. My yard takes about 40 min to mow with a push mower and my driveway takes 20 min to snow blow with a small, single stage snowblower. However, now that I have had the chance to worked on this tractor and the support and passion from others I've found on Red Square, I definitely have the itch to work on more. Unfortunately, I just don't have the need or space right now to do so. This tractor will not leave the family in my lifetime and it's wonderful to see my grandfathers reaction every time he sees it. Hopefully someday, by children and nieces and nephews will get just as much enjoyment out of it.

stevasaurus, I just realized you are located in Elgin. The company I work for has a facility in Elgin that I visit at least a few times every year. Small world...

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm just old and crotchety and retired.  You are welcome to stop anytime and check out my horses...my yard sounds a lot like yours.  Just send me a PM when you know when you are coming across the Lake.  Hope to see you at Mentone.  A bunch of Red Square guys will be there.  :)