Lane Ranger

My 1961 701 Wheel Horse just got a complete Hein-Werner Hydraulic Lift/Pump HY-2 Unit In

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Lane. Nice job as usual. Nice rig.

Glenn

• Like 1

slammer302

Looks really cool I've still never got to see one of those hy-2 lifts in person yet

• Like 2

dclarke

Looks good, Lane!  :thumbs:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Nice tractor.I have a 702 I've been working on.What kind of oil did you use in the hydraulic unit?

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Nice work Lane.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

701  Went to its first show in Jackson County, Indiana -  The 6th Annual Jackson Co. Antique Machinery Association  Show held in Brownstown , Indiana at the Jackson Co. Fairgrounds .   We were asked to be the second  garden tractor in the  2:00 PM  Show Parade held on Saturday May 9th.

post-339-0-11016200-1431216741_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-70561200-1431216626_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-70318800-1431216668_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

AMC RULES

Awesome :wh: display too.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

squonk

That umbrella is quite the sight!  :thumbs: You may need a red light on top for planes though!  :)  :ychain:

• Like 2

312Hydro

Wow,that really is a nice looking tractor!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Indiana's  Bicentennial is next year.   They placed me in the display area with all the Indiana made products !    I hate to say it but I would have traded my all my Wheel Horse tractors  for that 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk  behind me! 

What a ride!

I also was across from a 1970  Chevrolet Cheyenne Super 20 that was quite a truck to see!  Hard to believe that was 45 years ago!

Indiana Centennial Banner

post-339-0-96846700-1431259010_thumb.jpg

1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk

post-339-0-66956400-1431259138_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-04138200-1431259193_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-33200500-1431259169_thumb.jpg

1970 Cheyenne Super 20

post-339-0-57149600-1431259267_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-04234400-1431259295_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-13015700-1431259318_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Lane Ranger

I am adding this information for folks that may need to make the  lift piece on the 701 Wheel Horse tractor to install a hydrulic lift unit.    

I do not have the lenght measurement for the 3/4 inch bar that rides in the rockshaft as my part is installed alreay.   However, I tried to  provide enough information that you can determine the necessary lenght with no major problems.

Ok   I have some pictures and measurements for you.

I used a professional welder to make the HY 2  lift piece.  If you search HY 2 in the manuals secion and HY 3   you will see some drawings of the parts and pieces that go with these untis.   This is imporant to have your peice made correctly and to be able to remove the existing rockshaft and lift handle on the 701 tractor you have.

I removed the lift handle and pulled the rockshaft out after removing the lift handle from the tractor.   The rockshaft is 60 years old and probably has lots of rust and crud built up in the tracor.   It shoudl be removed and throughly cleaned and painted and greased up to replaced in the tractor tower when your HY 2 lift part is completed.

First pic shows the side view with lift bar and HY lift cylinder.  The Bar is  about `1 1/4 wide flat stock.   About 1/4 or more thick.   7 1/2 inches long with a 3/4 bar wleded at the top which rides in the rockshaft.    A center pin/bolt hole (about 1/4 x 20 bolt -no bigger as it will weaken the shaft strength).   Also a pin welded into the end  (about a 1.2 inch centered from bottom of the 7 1/2 inch flat stock)  with a hole for a push pin or cotter ket to hold the double end of the HY 2 cylcinder on.

Second pic shows the HY 2 lift cyclinder connected to the pin welded to the 7 1/2 inch flat stock that hangs down.   About 1 1/4  widlth from the outside of the flat stock with a 1/8 inch hole drilled in iot for a  keepr pin or cotter key.

Third photo just shows a side view looking down aside the Wheel Horse tractor tower.

Fourth photo shows  tape measure on the 7 1/2 inch long flat stock bar the HY 2 cylinder rides on.   3/4 bar is welded in a driled hole at 7 inches up from the bottom of the bar and centered. 

You should be able to find out the lenght of the 3/4 bar  you need by cutting it long and measuring it in the rockshaft (install after cleaning and greasing or do when still in tractor)  .

That is the best information I can provide on making this piece.

Hope this helps you!

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

015.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

UncleJerm76

Huge Thanks to @Lane Ranger for going the extra mile on this post, giving detailed measurements and pictures. Having looked for a long time I finally just purchased a complete HY-3 set to put on my 701. I will need to either make my own rock shaft and lift piece or make a lift piece and attach it to my existing rockshaft since the HY-3 is a different size than the HY-2 ...and this post goes a long ways in helping me get there. Thank you Lane Ranger!

• Thanks 1

WHX??
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 8:55 PM, Lane Ranger said:

It tool me 45 minutes to fill the hydraulic pump

Older thread @Lane Ranger and you may have learned this by now but when filling these I use a nifty little hand pump like this for filling. Takes about five minutes. Its for changing lower unit lube in outboards. The tip fits nice into the fill port so leave a line loose to burb. leave

10065626.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

A cheap squeeze sports drink bottle will do the trick too.

Image result for squeeze drink bottle

• Excellent 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Hmmm...          :angry-nono:

I better leave that one alone. 

• Haha 2

WHX??

He ain't right Richard...:ychain:

• Haha 1

UncleJerm76

@Lane Ranger, on the engine side my 701 only has a double pulley (one for the drive & other for the mower deck), I can purchase a triple pulley but in looking at it more closely it appears there is no way to run a mower deck and the HY-2 at the same time as it looks like it runs off the mower pulley — is that correct? I would love to be able to leave the mower deck hooked up and use the Hydro to lift it, but also run any implements that I attach on the rear without having to disconnect the deck as sometimes it isn't necessary to remove the deck - what is your experience?

Lane Ranger

UncleJerm76 :  Here are some photos of my 701  with Hein Werner pump and three race pulley.   You should be able to set up your mower , pump and motor drive belt on the three race pulley and do what you want to do!

The center raceway is empty on this pulley and would take the mower pto belt just fine.    No  clutch for mower on this one and not sure if this was on deck or could be placed on 3/4 rod.

You need a three race pulley.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Excellent 1

UncleJerm76
On 5/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, Lane Ranger said:

UncleJerm76 :  Here are some photos of my 701  with Hein Werner pump and three race pulley.   You should be able to set up your mower , pump and motor drive belt on the three race pulley and do what you want to do!

The center raceway is empty on this pulley and would take the mower pto belt just fine.    No  clutch for mower on this one and not sure if this was on deck or could be placed on 3/4 rod.

You need a three race pulley.

Perfect Photos, showed me exactly what I needed to see. Thanks a bunch  :thumbs:

• Thanks 1