cazngz

D-180 hydro/pump ??

cazngz

Hi Guys,  I've had a D-180 for around 10 years. Last year before the snows I was hauling ml log splitter down an embankment with my snow plow still attached.  I hit a stump and was trying to free the tractor when something let go and the tractor wouldn't move. Got the tractor back home and since I know nothing about anything mechanical except, plugs, filters, bit of welding , points etc I had my neighbors come over . These guys are normally pretty knowledgeable about most anything w/ tractors. They had no experience with Wheel Horse but took a look at it and said the shaft wasn't turning from the engine to the hydro. They drilled a hole and put a roll pin in it ( one said the JD's have the pin ) and for a month or so it was working ok. At the first snow I used it and the same thing happened except the shaft was spinning but nothing moved and I couldn't  lift the blade.  I left it sit and after the snow stopped I took a large screwdriver and pried around the shaft which had some play back and forth. I was then able to get it under cover. When I started it from there the tractor again wouldn't move and the slight noise I heard from the shaft area ( something was hitting the frame of the battery box slightly but still wouldn't move.

Having the barest of knowledge of these things I'm thinking the splines on the end of the shaft from the engine into the hydro are stripped and/or the receiving end of the hydro where the shaft goes in is likewise stripped.

Finally the question, either way, I will have to pay someone to rip it apart, find out whats wrong and then hopefully find the parts to correct it. From what I've been reading none of this looks cost effective for my limited budget. The engine and rear are still fine, whether the auto trans and or hydro are separate units I don't know.  Is there any possibility there is a reasonable fix for this ?  I have already looked at a Ford LGT 165 with a plow ( no mower ) for $1200 which the guy indicated was negotiable.. That's a heavy unit as well, 863 lbs if I recall and seems heavy duty enough to plow and pull a log splitter.  So I fix, part it, or sell it as is hoping a buyer will give a reasonable amount for it.  When it was purchased I paid $ 425 for the A type frame and dozer blade for it thinking I was buying the last one on the East Coast.  After nine years I discovered one for it 200 ft from my garage at a neighbor.  I bought it as a spare.

Sorry for the lengthy post...    I realize I don't know what is definately wrong but what are some thoughts keeping it mind I'll have to farm the work out if reasonable to fix. :eusa-think:   

"D"- Man

Deleted

Edited by 23 Automatic LSE

cazngz

No, I haven't..  I don't get on the computer that much..  The real question ( and I guess it would have to be torn down first is whether it is just one shaft or possibly the receiving end of the pump ) the shaft has to align with something and it seems reasonable that whatever that receiving end is might be damaged before repair as well. Plus all the grinding when it was trying to engage might have polluted the inside of the pump necessitating replacement. 

I will check your post to see it sheds any light on this particular situation.  Any thoughts as to the suitability of the LGT 165 as a slighter lighter replacement for the Horse ?

cazngz

How do I get to D-series questions ? Is it under transmissions ?

"D"- Man

Deleted

Edited by 23 Automatic LSE

daveoman1966

The D series has the Sundstrand separated power system, linked to the engine by a flexible rubber-fiber splined connector.  Maybe the spline connector is shot / stripped or the hyd pump shaft spline is stripped.  That's the starting point to find the failure.  Joe's outdoor power on Ebay often has the spline connector and I have an undamaged replacement hyd pump shaft.  Send me an off-site email for further details.  I am:

daveoman@windstream.net  

(just clik that link...with subject  of D-180

pfrederi

If the shaft was drilled and pinned and has failed again, i would guess you will need a new shaft and coupler.  Replacing the shaft is involved, you have to pull the pump and then disassemble it.  Swapping in a good used pump  (if you can find one) would be easier but still not a simple or easy task. Look here for the Sundstrand Manual and read what is required to pull the pump and then disassemble it.  Only you can decide if you want to  invest the time and effort

can whlvr

ita a tough call,when you arnt able to wrench on her it could be more expensive then the tractor is worth,these sundstrands are nice when they work,but can cost an arm and a leg when not,i have a c160 that has the Sundstrand and I had to have it professionally rebuilt,it cost me near 500 to have it completely rebuilt,ya more than the tractor is worth,but now I have a good pump and I know it will be good for many years,but I took it apart and reinstalled it to keep the cost low,heres a pic of the inside of the pump,i trid to fix but it was too far for me and I needed parts so I ended up getting a rebuild from a guy who repairs large equipment

001-7.jpg

004-5.jpg

008-5.jpg

• Like 1

Rob55

More than the tractor is worth. If I'd do 1k worth of parts and labor to keep a classic worth $600 resale, That works with implements on hand and would take 5 k to replace with a new model that requires new implements. Sounds like money in the bank. Unless my neighbor has a working classic he wants to sell for $600 or I fixing old tractors for profit. 

• Like 1