David Upton

C-160 Unidrive Issue

David Upton

Recently purchased this unit after test driving and successfully loaded up a 30 degree ramp into my pick up. Drove it home and after starting it would not and still will not move while in gear. It will barely creep with a nudge but will not under any load. Removed keyed drive pulley and it seems to be fine. I am at a loss as well as the person who sold it to me. He was told by transporting it in gear could have caused an internal failure. Any suggestions and thank you in advance.

racinfool40

Check the woodruff keys in the hubs/axles make sur ethe axle are not spinning in the hubs and also check to make sure the high/low shifter is fully seated in high or low..I have bumped the high/low shifter and had it in between gears.

• Like 4

David Upton

The high low shifter seems to be fine. Looking from the rear the right side axle extends about an inch and a half from the housing. There is no axle showing on the left. When shut off and placed in first gear high I can push the tractor with ease.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

The high low shifter seems to be fine. Looking from the rear the right side axle extends about an inch and a half from the housing. There is no axle showing on the left. When shut off and placed in first gear high I can push the tractor with ease.

There it is! Chances are its your LEFT hub has likely broken or lost a key. The hubs should be flush with the axle (as looking from the outside of the wheel), and my bet is your axle is sticking out pretty far on the left side, which means the setscrew(s) are loose and likely broke something.

There is a small chance the axles or hubs are pretty damaged from excess movement, if its been that way for a while, but no telling until you pull the hub off.

If the parts are in decent shape then it should be a pretty easy fix. Take that side off and post pics. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Brandon is correct...pull off both wheels and then the hubs and check the slots and woodruff keys.  It is not inside the trans.  This is a good fix.  :)  Pictures would confirm this.

• Like 1

David Upton

SUCCESS! It indeed was the left hub woodruff key. I adjust both sides evenly to allow full contact with those keys. Thank you so much fellows,I learned a lot today thanks to you. David

• Like 4

pacer

Keep an eye on it, those dang keys/hubs are notorious for once getting loose coming loose again. At one point WH started putting 2 set screws on the hubs and many of us have had to add the 2nd set screw. In fact I am presently running 2 axles that I have 3 of them on after 2 just wouldnt stay tight! Ive got a couple extra hubs standing by in case the 3 screw trick doesnt work --- but, so far so good...

• Like 1

Al C.

How tightly should the wheel hub fit to the woodruff key?  Before I tighten the set screw I have about an inch of play at the outer circumference of the tire.  When I tighten the set screw this goes away.  I have not had any problems with this but I'm wondering if one is brewing.

stevasaurus

Al, it should slip on rather easily, but the key should not have any slop on the sides.  In other words, the hub should slide off the axle with no problem (before tightening), but the key should be a good fit in the axle and in the hub key ways.  :)  Side to side is what is important here.

Al C.

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. Well then, I guess I have a problem brewing (I've attached a picture). I'm going to keep the set screw very tight and cross my fingers. As I said, I haven't experience any performance problems yet. Maybe I'll be lucky.

Thanks!

Al C.

The picture ...

post-14163-0-84605400-1427401122_thumb.j

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yep, that key way is wallowed out a little.  Options, get another hub from somebody here (want ads)...get that one welded up and re-cut...get that one cut 90 degrees from where it is at.  Hope that helps.  :)  Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Al C.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the two options of reusing the existing hub. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to perform either of these operations. So, I found two new hubs on eBay yesterday. Pictures look like new. Should arrive next week. I appreciate your help.

• Like 1