Al C.

Pulling a Lawn Roller

Al C.
I have a Wheel Horse T 1067 with a 10hp Kohler engine that is in great condition and a six speed uni-transmission. I want to purchase a lawn roller - the heavier the better. I am trying to determine whether my Wheel Horse can handle a Brinley 650/lb roller or whether I should be looking for something smaller? Can anyone help me out with their experience or questimate? Thanks!

Racinbob

:WRS: It will handle that with ease. :)

JackC

10 horses drinking gasoline should have no problem and likely will not even break a sweat.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

10 HP ..6 speed.   The limit will be traction, not power.     If you have hills, be careful on the down slope.

Sorry, where are my manners.... :text-welcomewave:  to :rs:

Edited by ekennell

Al C.

Appreciate your response.  I was reading that a guy who purchased a Brinley lawn roller was having a little bit of difficulty with his John Deere L110 (17hp) .  I've never had a problem with my 10hp not having enough power, but wanted some opinions before I go ahead and give it a try.  Thanks !!!!!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Al, wellcome aboard. How bout some pics when you can.

Glenn

Racinbob

Al, I had a L120 for a while until I could find a real tractor down here. That thing couldn't pull much of anything. It's not the horsepower, it's the drive train. 650 lbs really isn't much to pull. :)

bmsgaffer

I cant tell you how many times my C-105 with AG's pulled my 1000lb electric golf cart out of the gulley in the woods (I liked to 'drift' a sharp turn right before the woods... you would think I would have learned). It pulled it up-hill through a bunch of bush and brush. It would pull first gear high with no problems.

Like they said above, just watch the down-hill sections. With only a pre-differential transmission brake, a slippery surface can sometimes make these things take a wild ride down hill (especially with weight in tow).

Edited by bmsgaffer

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Al C.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's responses.  This was my first post to the Wheel Horse Forum.  I've attached several pictures of my Wheel Horse.  My Dad purchased this in 1967.  It was used for thirty years to mow our acre lot.   I figure it probably has 1,000 to 1,300 hours on it.  He had a local guy do the regular maintenance pretty nicely.  When it was not mowing, it was in the garage.  It has never seen rain or snow.  As Dad got older, the tractor sat in the garage as he used a lawn service to manage the property. 

Last year I inherited the tractor.  It looked pretty rough.  It had two flat tires, hadn't been cleaned in many years, lights didn't work, cigarette lighter was missing, fluids were old, and the belts were getting brittle.  But you know what, it started on the first turn with no smoke.  I cleaned it up, replaced all the missing parts, and painted it.  It runs and looks like I remember it as a kid.  I have great memories of years mowing our lawn on this tractor.  I don't want to "break" it, but I also don't want it to just sit.  So, I have purchased a de-thatcher and an aerator for it.  I am also thinking of getting a 650 pound Brinley roller.  I have a half acre lot.  With all of this equipment, the old Wheel Horse should feel right at home on a new lawn.  Thanks, again!

post-14163-0-72285100-1426519753_thumb.j

post-14163-0-16789900-1426519807_thumb.j

post-14163-0-00399900-1426519870_thumb.j

post-14163-0-17155900-1426519922_thumb.j

• Like 8

Racinbob

That looks great! Nice job fixing her up. :handgestures-thumbupright:

posifour11

Beautiful. Glad you're taking care of it.

jrc0528

I have a 10hp 1055 3 speed that pulls my 800 lb roller around with ease.  I like to go slower with the roller, so it's second gear and perhaps 1/4 throttle.  The engine isn't even working hard, as seen watching the flapper bouncing atop my stack.

Butch

If you have a nice yard I surely wouldn't roll it. You don't want to compact the soil. I'd aerate it with

a plug type aerator and leave it for nature to take over. The plugs break down.

• Like 1

pfrederi

You did a great job she will serve you well for a long time.

Al C.

The yard is pretty nice, but unfortunately the moles like it too.  We border several acres of woods and I have not been able to keep the moles away.  I'm figuring, a 650 pound roller will make quick and easy work of those pests.  This will be the first year I aerate and de-thatch.   I'm anxious to see what they do for the health of the lawn.  The Wheel Horse should make all of this pretty easy. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Great job and a great history. Best of luck.

Glenn

jackhammer

That's a sweetheart tractor .. :text-welcomewave:

bmsgaffer

The yard is pretty nice, but unfortunately the moles like it too.  We border several acres of woods and I have not been able to keep the moles away.  I'm figuring, a 650 pound roller will make quick and easy work of those pests.  This will be the first year I aerate and de-thatch.   I'm anxious to see what they do for the health of the lawn.  The Wheel Horse should make all of this pretty easy.

I am with Butch, I never roll the lawn because it limits the growth later on, the freeze thaws are like natural aeration for the ground then I aerate ever couple of years in the fall with a big plug aerator.

As far as the moles, my father and father-in-law both swear by these traps: They are the fastest and most effective traps that either of them has ever tried. My FIL got 6 moles in a two and a half week span (with two traps) in one spring. Then they usually go a couple years before returning. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Good luck and welcome to RS!

EDIT: the mole trap link is themoletrap.com Not sure why it didnt save the first time around...

Edited by nylyon

C-101plowerpower

very nice tractor you've got there, and as far as the mole's go, try getting some calcium carbide and stick that in the mole hill. if you want to have some "fun"(making a bang and maybe a mess of the lawn) make it wet with water and light the gas after a few minutes :)

Horse46

That looks sweet, have you got any before pictures?

SALTYWRIGHT

DO NOT ROLL IT. I THINK YOU JUST WANT SEAT TIME. JUST RIDE YOUR W/H AROUND AND IT WILL PUT DOWN THE MOUNDS.

Al C.

You guys saved me a couple hundred dollars.  I'm going to give the mole traps a try.  (The comment about "seat time" really hit home!).  With regards to "before" pictures, unfortunately, I did not begin the work on the tractor with the intention of doing a restoration - it just turned out that way.  So, I do not have a shot of the tractor before the projects began.  I do have some pictures of the work in progress.  I have attached them.  I replaced the old incandescent lights with LED - really makes a difference.

post-14163-0-30253200-1426539042_thumb.j

post-14163-0-58096700-1426539060_thumb.j

post-14163-0-27614500-1426539078_thumb.j

post-14163-0-12546300-1426539085_thumb.j

post-14163-0-28362200-1426539090_thumb.j

post-14163-0-78099700-1426539099_thumb.j

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice job on it. Some advice,,,,,,,for when you get your next wheel horse. Its hard to stop at one Vendors on this site have most your needs, no need to mask off decals, put a new set on. Terry makes perfect sets.

Glenn

sorekiwi

IMG_3710.jpg

8 horse Kohler, 3 speed trans and 8" rear tires have never had a problem with this 36" Brinley.  I dont remember the weight, I'm thinking its 700 lbs full.

I do roll my yard, and also aerate twice a year.