Stigian

A slight move around in the workshop for a new toy

Stigian

Would you look at all that space!!  I could fit the GT and 3 more Wh's in biggrin.png

TM45_zpsovwdgj6g.jpg

The extra space was made by moving a pile of wood and my tool chest, and also by turning the bench around that Why Not is on...

The reason for the space making.. You can just see it in front of the window..

TM46_zpsundv0phr.jpg

A TW Monoturn lathe...  This machine actually left the factory as a con rod boring machine but at some point over the years it has been converted to a lathe..  I did decide to sell it due to a few problems, but had a change of heart.

TM47_zpshcyngcgl.jpg

So.. Why the change of heart?  The big problem I had with it was/is the shaft at the bottom with the pulleys in has some serious play.. Way too much to make it usable..

But this morning I was looking at it thinking I should really give driving the lathe straight from the motor a whirl..

So with the very worn drive chain removed, I threw a belt on to see how it went..

TM48_zpsuivbn2c2.jpg

Not the best of photo's but the lathe can take some quite serious deep cuts, far deeper than my old Southbend lathe..

TM49_zpsuczzpqv8.jpg

Quite a nice finish on this bit of bar as well..

TM50_zpsp24wwixy.jpg

So the plan is to use this lathe (a TW Monoturn) for taking the bulk of material off any turning that needs to be done and then finishing the details off on the Southbend..

I will be fitting a cooling system as the bigger the slices the more the metal gets hot...  biggrin.png

• Like 2

AMC RULES

You always make it look so easy Ian.   :thumbs:

• Like 1

fireman

I could never function in my shop without my mill and lathe. Nothing beats having the ability to make your own parts. I'm no expert in maching and know enough to be a little more then dangerous. Amazingly YouTube is your friend and I have learned a lot by watching other people's tutorials. Mills and lathes can be found on Craig's List for very short money if you know what your looking for!

• Like 1

Sparky

Anytime I clean my workshop area its good for a day or two and then its right back to being a mess.... :eusa-doh:  .

Hopefully you can keep its cleaner that I could!

Mike...........

• Like 3

Stigian

You always make it look so easy Ian.   :thumbs:

I'm not sure how easy it was Craig, both the lathe and bench with WN on it were very heavy to move!

I could never function in my shop without my mill and lathe. Nothing beats having the ability to make your own parts. I'm no expert in maching and know enough to be a little more then dangerous. Amazingly YouTube is your friend and I have learned a lot by watching other people's tutorials. Mills and lathes can be found on Craig's List for very short money if you know what your looking for!

I couldn't agree more, being able to make my own parts is a great feeling and very handy if no one makes the part you need!  I'd love a milling machine, but price wise they are out of my reach in the UK..

Anytime I clean my workshop area its good for a day or two and then its right back to being a mess.... :eusa-doh:  .

Hopefully you can keep its cleaner that I could!

Mike...........

My workshop is the same Mike, it never stays clean and tidy for long!

• Like 1

Terry M

Nice Place Ian!! :handgestures-thumbupright:   I love the nice "Tractor table"too!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Stigian

Thanks Terry.  The tractor table has been great over the years. Getting the machine on and off it can be fun, but it sure beats having to get on my knees which can be a real struggle at times.

• Like 1