Pressure Washer Attachment

wmsue

Nice job and a great idea!

Thanks for posting

Bill

Edited by wmsue

AMC RULES

Awesome build...   :thumbs: 

would like to see some video of it in action. 

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

That's awesome! I am going to do the same thing as soon as I come across a belt-driven pump at a price I can afford. Its great to have the full pressure washer without having another engine to maintain.

Please take some video!

312Hydro

That's original! Well thought out looks good.Now I've got the urge to find a pump like everyone else that sees this.

MAH

Great build. Let's see some pictures when its all painted.

bitten

I wounder if a water tank pulled from the back would give you enough presser to be portable. With a big enough tank you could do the house without messing with a garden hose.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great idea, a new item on my build list.  

tbarnhart

That's awesome! I am going to do the same thing as soon as I come across a belt-driven pump at a price I can afford. Its great to have the full pressure washer without having another engine to maintain.

Please take some video!

That's original! Well thought out looks good.Now I've got the urge to find a pump like everyone else that sees this.

Make sure you do your homework on the many different pumps out there. Rated rpms vary quite a bit and you have to be able to match pulley sizes to get the rpms correct. Then there's the issue of nozzle size and hp requirements. This 4.0gpm@4000 setup puts a good load on the 16hp tecky. 14 would probably run it, 12 would be iffy.

I wounder if a water tank pulled from the back would give you enough presser to be portable. With a big enough tank you could do the house without messing with a garden hose.

As long as it will gravity feed to the pump, it will work fine. A 100 gallon tank would weigh close to 900 lb. Thats about as heavy as i would want to drag around, but you could wash for 20-25 min at 4 gpm. If I needed to get away from a water supply, I could put something together.

can whlvr

very nice setup,very practical and easy to store ,especially in winter when the washer has to go in the basement so it wont freeze,as far as the water supply it would be far better if you charge the potable with at least 60 lbs air,a washer only amplifies what you give it,gravity fed doesn't work well with any that ive used

tbarnhart

,as far as the water supply it would be far better if you charge the potable with at least 60 lbs air,a washer only amplifies what you give it,gravity fed doesn't work well with any that ive used

I'm sure a pressurized water supply would be better, but General Pump states that this should work on a gravity fed supply as long as it gives sufficient volume. It takes a fairly large line to supply 4 gpm as gravity fed when you don't have a lot of vertical drop. As stated, these pumps don't have any suction to speak of and have to be fed. I got the frame painted and the pump installed. Now I just need to find time to put it to work-The siding on the house needs washed.

bmsgaffer

:wwp:

clip

Mount a hose reel to the rear and hook it up before you drive to your work location, let it pay out along the way :)

Looks good, love the versatility of the tach-a-matic and pto on these.

SethL1984

Well done sir! I'll hijacking this idea for sure!

Rob R

I have one very similar on my Sears Suburban and it works like a charm......

post-12028-0-12002600-1427401085.jpg

post-12028-0-52929200-1427401085.jpg

post-12028-0-80339700-1427401085.jpg

• Like 1

tbarnhart

I have one very similar on my Sears Suburban and it works like a charm......

Cool, I'll have to show that to my brother. He has a '66 model Suburban 12 that he is restoring. I noticed that the piston end of your pump was toward the grill.  I actually took my pump apart and reversed the crankshaft in order to turn it around. It worked much better with the hose connections toward the front. Just a question, how did you tighten your belt, with the mule drive slide?

Rob R

Yes the pump is driven just like any other Suburban attachment via the mule drive slide lever. Pump has good pressure and works well.

bmsgaffer

Could you give a little more information on this?

Where did you get the pulley for pump drive? What size was your pump shaft?

I'm not sure if i'm just looking in the wrong places (or just stupid :teasing-poke: ), but I found a nice pump I just need to find a drive pulley that fits 24mm. Which seems to be the most common for high pressure pumps.

I will be running on the outside of a standard PTO pulley (which i think is 3.5"), so it looks like I will need about 7" or a little more to bring down to the right speed.

Do you have any pictures of the finished product? Or even better a video of it?

Thanks!

tbarnhart

To answer a few more of your questions, I used a General HP4040 pump which has a 24mm shaft. It seems most commercial pressure washer pumps do use that size and finished bore pulleys are hard to find. I used a tapered bore pulley that I had here at the shop and ordered a 24mm H-style taper lock hub. Surplus center is your friend for these items.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulleys/7-25-O-D-H-BUSHING-SINGLE-GROOVE-PULLEY-1-BKH75.axd

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Pulleys/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulley-Hubs/24mm-METRIC-KEYED-H-BUSHING-1-2915-24.axd

My pump was rated 4.0 gpm at 1450 rpms. My pto pulley on my tractor is upsized to speed up my mower deck so I needed a large pulley to get the speed right. The pulley I used sets my engine rpms about 3000. I don't know which pump you are planning to use, but be conscious of the power requirements and belt sizes. It would be hard to get the belt tight enough if I was trying to run my pump on the small pto sheave. The larger sheave helps with that. If your only running a 3.0 gpm @2500psi system, you should be ok. Also, most pumps come with the shaft oriented in such a way that would put the pump pistons toward the hood. I disassembled my pump and turned the crankshaft around to put the hose connections out the front. I don't have any more pics now. If you have any more questions, pm me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

zip628

And I thought I had an original idea lol me and my son just got our first old wheel horse saved it from a multiflora rose bush death as we are taking apart working on it I discovered how easy these things are to work on and make modifications to and it's amazing wish they still made tractors and mowers like this but yeah I had the same ideas I got old power washer pump works great The motor's junk I was going to take it off and fabricate it to a pulley system to run off the front I got some old alternators laying around eyes going to DIY generator set up with it too the little eight horsepower motor will be fine with the pump I have because it's only being ran by a 5 horsepower motor Right now anyways