bmsgaffer

New Score - 854!

bmsgaffer

I've been looking for a little round hood that I can put to work. It will be mostly clean-up plowing in the winter and tow a trailer around in the summer without using 5 gallons of gas. I was able to work out a great deal with Devin for this sweet 854.

I think much of it is original (let me know what you see, i dont have an eye for these older models yet). I'm not going for factory original, I just want mechanical soundness. It looks like the right rear axle has some up/down movement so I may be replacing the transmission with an 8 speed. Havent decided whether to do that or to dig into the transmission and hunt down parts.

The hubs were replaced with 5 bolt, there is a cigar lighter that's been added to the gas tank (... :happy-bouncyredfire: ), the headlights are on a reproduction bar and are not original obviously, and there were 4 holes drilled in the top of the hood and two of them started ripping. The seam is also coming apart a bit. All mostly minor items (except the holes that bug me).

I know there are a lot of people out there in the keep it original camp: what would you do with the holes (at least one has sharp edges which may cause harm to an errant finger)?

It came with a spare 8HP block (the block on it is cracked a little at the exhaust) and accessories, I got ags, and tri ribs, a pretty good condition rear discharge mower that turns smooth and has solid metal all around. I even got a plow for my engine-less 551 project.

I am very happy with this haul, and feel like I got a very fair deal. Devin's a good guy.

post-6955-0-63358100-1426221615_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-77226100-1426221624_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-22021900-1426221634_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-98221900-1426221643_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-21834700-1426221654_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-56839300-1426221663_thumb.jp

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 8

bmsgaffer

More Pictures...

post-6955-0-27270900-1426221799_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-01548300-1426221807_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-46588800-1426221815_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-25067300-1426221824_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-25646200-1426221838_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-97644200-1426221847_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-85435000-1426221857_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-16470500-1426221868_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-12187200-1426221877_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-51835700-1426221892_thumb.jp

• Like 6

slammer302

Those holes are pretty ugly I really like the lights though

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The lights,,,,,,great.

The right reax axle movement, bearings maybe, replace them if so. That 3 speed has plenty of ballzzz. Imho, no need for the 8 swap.

find a hood, holes, no good. I think beyond repair. Maybe others have a suggestion. Looks pretty stock looking. I like that rear light to.

Best of luck. Good grab. Deck looks good.

Glenn

• Like 1

squonk

I agree, look for a hood. Or just tell everyone you got that tractor at a police auction!  :)  :ychain:  :law-police:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Nice  :wh: haul...    :thumbs: 

good looking project Brandon. 

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice haul. I'd leave it just as it is except for the hood, but I'd keep the hood. I would be able to fix it by welding it, if you aren't much of a welder you could use the liquid steal that comes in the clear tube. It has a Play-Doh type consistency and is real easy to work with. (Wear rubber gloves) With a little effort you could get it so no one would know the difference.. The patina on the hood matches the rest of the tractor perfect which is why I'd keep it.

• Like 2

jackhammer

Sniff Sniff !!   Is that the scent of of roses I smell..

Brandon good for you bud,,, you can fall into it and come out smelling like a rose.. :) :)   :handgestures-thumbupright: 

Rick

• Like 1

Coadster32

Nice pickup. A good work horse you have found, and I agree..the three speed tranny hauls the mail for sure!! I love my 854. Good luck with it.

• Like 2

Racinbob

That's a nice find Brandon. The 854 is one of my favorites. My 'parade' tractor up north was a 854 with the HL-5 headlights and a factory seat back. That hood could be saved, preferably by a good welder but if done right with some backing liquid steel , JB Weld or similar would work. It would need to be repainted in either case. I agree with others here, I don't see the need for a tranny replacement. I would open it up for a good inspection and replace any bad bearings and all the seals. As long as the axle is OK you'll be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

• Like 1

RedRanger

I'd keep that tractor all original.  Great patina.

Keep the hood.  Find a body shop to weld in flush plugs/patch panels and leave it alone.  No paint.  Raw repair.   :thumbs:

A good welder can also repair that split seam on the side of the hood.

Don't paint it.  Don't get a different hood. Save that one.

Nice find.  I like the lights and the original paint.

What in the world did they have mounted to the hood?  PO that did that should be hauled off and hit by a firing squad.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

motor12

I wonder what people are thinking when they start drilling holes everywhere. At least its all repairable. Great find, I looked for months for my 854 and it was worth it, gotta love the round hoods.

• Like 2

Racinbob

You do have to wonder Motor but back when these tractors were new nobody gave it one thought about them becoming collectibles. They were just used to get work done. I shutter thinking about some of the things my Dad did with his first two new ones, a Suburban 400 then a 704. Even back then it bugged me that he removed the hood from the 704 and used it that way so he could service the engine easier. I guess at least that saved the hood but I'm thinking it may have been trashed in storage. He did, however, use a drill for the holes and not a .38 :scratchead: 

• Like 2

rmaynard

Great find Brandon. :)  I too liked the lights. I'm going after a nice 857 w/cart on Wednesday. Never any round hoods where I go looking.  :disgust:

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

You do have to wonder Motor but back when these tractors were new nobody gave it one thought about them becoming collectibles. They were just used to get work done. I shutter thinking about some of the things my Dad did with his first two new ones, a Suburban 400 then a 704. Even back then it bugged me that he removed the hood from the 704 and used it that way so he could service the engine easier. I guess at least that saved the hood but I'm thinking it may have been trashed in storage. He did, however, use a drill for the holes and not a .38 :scratchead:

Its sad to see them now, but when you find them in fair shape its kinda cool to think of all the history behind each scratch.

My buddy's father-in-law was helping a guy build a shed in the middle of nowhere. They needed a hole in an I beam but neither had a drill with them big enough. I kid-you-not, he went to the truck, grabbed his HK G3 7.62x51mm NATO from his truck and dang it he got that hole...

Great find Brandon. :)  I too liked the lights. I'm going after a nice 857 w/cart on Wednesday. Never any round hoods where I go looking.  :disgust:

Thanks! There has only been a couple round hoods for sale 'round here lately that have been publicly listed, and all but one have had some serious $$ price tags on them (and they aren't worth it). The one that didn't sold within 30 minutes of being listed. (This one I found by randomly asking a guy I bought a rolling chassis 551 from previously if he had an 854, and as luck would have it he needed money and had an 854!)

Looks like the consensus is to fix the transmission, so that will be a first for me digging into that. Hopefully the bearings haven't worn through the carriers. As for the holes, I will try to poke around and find a really good welder around here. I have a nice hobart 140 MIG, but I haven't had much practice on sheet metal. I will be practicing a LOT before I ever even decide to get close to it. I have a wanted ad out for another hood, but no bites yet.

The deck has already been repainted, so I will probably clean that up and restore it to good working condition (I am hoping to mow with it). The 854 I will just tent to the little things that need tightening up like steering and such. I may get the spare 8hp block rebuilt and ready to go in in the mean time.

Thanks everyone for the good feedback! I will be definitely be looking for parts and tips here as this is my first running round hood!

Edited by bmsgaffer

Dieselcowboy

Nice one. An 854 is next on my list. Devin is a great person to get deal with.

• Like 1

boovuc

SWEET!

• Like 1

nylyon

I've got to get me a round hood, nice!

• Like 1

steve k

VERY NICE.    I have a commando 8,  easy on gas plenty of power.  you'll love it.

• Like 1

speedyleedy

Great find !

• Like 1

19richie66

Get a copper welding spoon and give it a go. Get a piece of sheet metal from somewhere and drill some holes in it and practice. You really cant hurt the hood much more than it is and when you were done welding it, grind/sand the repair smooth, sit it out in the weather and let mother nature have at it. Once its rusted, coat it with some preservative and wipe her down. Thats what I would do. Looks nice the way it is.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Get a copper welding spoon and give it a go. Get a piece of sheet metal from somewhere and drill some holes in it and practice. You really cant hurt the hood much more than it is and when you were done welding it, grind/sand the repair smooth, sit it out in the weather and let mother nature have at it. Once its rusted, coat it with some preservative and wipe her down. Thats what I would do. Looks nice the way it is.

Oh yes I can. :laughing-rofl:  At least for now the hood is relatively straight other than the holes, who knows what contorted shapes I could put in it. I will try it though after getting a chance to practice. I did pick up a welding spoon from HF last time I was there just so I could give it a go, I'm feeling adventurous and will keep it low power and short beads to avoid heat warping. Now I just need to get (or build) a decent compact welding cart and get some gas for it. I've mostly just been messing with the flux core.

I noticed one of the spindles must be worn where the steering arm connects (with a roll pin). I saw the service bulletin about drilling it out and using a larger roll pin, is that the best solution? I wasn't sure if anyone had better luck with another method like tapping for set screws.

Also looks like its missing the cotter pin ans pacers for the steering shaft. Its been using the battery box as the back stop for the steering sector gear (and thus skipping sometimes).

Edited by bmsgaffer

bmsgaffer

Oh, and what kind of preservative do you use? (This seems to be a hotly debated topic)

bmsgaffer

I got to work on the 854 tonight.

The left front spindle and steering arm had some movement as the roll pin had wallowed out the hole through the spindle. I drilled it out for a 5/16" roll pin (with a 7/32" driven inside) and that tightened that up nicely. 

post-6955-0-62409000-1429592245_thumb.jp

The cotter pin at the back of the steering shaft was missing (although the steering still worked because the battery tray held it "close enough") so I added a few shims and replaced the cotter pin. It will require a few more shims to take out the play and completely prevent skipping but its already a major improvement. 

post-6955-0-76569500-1429592255_thumb.jp

All the joints got greased and some were a bit dry. It needs to have some play taken out of the front axle pivot. I will need to look at the axle pin and possibly adding shims there for front to back movement, but nothing worrisome. 

The oil was clean and full so I didnt bother with that but she did get a new air filter, pulse-pump diaphragm and fuel lines. 

Thanks to Brian (buckrancher) for the fuel pump diaphragm and the suggestion to sand the mating surfaces of the fuel pump down on plate glass. It took quite a bit of sanding (I had to start with 320 grit!) to get them trued up, what a difference!

post-6955-0-83139200-1429592272_thumb.jp

The fuel system is finally dry and she purrs like a kitten! I think between the very dirty air filter and the old fuel pump, she had been tuned very rich. After all the maintenance tonight she was running a bit rich!

I had a little time to put some polishing compound to her to start taking some of the orange off. It will take a bit of work but I think I will get her red(ish) again! (I only worked on the right side of the grill, its hard to tell from the picture)

post-6955-0-59762500-1429592295_thumb.jp

Edited by bmsgaffer

slammer302

Looks good