Brooksy

520h and 520hc what are they worth

Brooksy

I'm looking at a 88 520h with 48inch deck and plow and weights for $1200 is that a good price? 1400hrs also painted primer red not wheelhorse red. I also have a 520hc with 1400hrs dual stage snow blower and 60inch deck was wondering how much there worth both tractors are in good shape run great thanks

Ed Kennell

That's about 2X what I Would pay for one, but I like to buy em cheap and make a few repairs.

You may get some offers on here to sell one to you.    Are you out there Eric ?

Oh, BTW  :text-welcomewave: to :rs:     I see you are just across the river from me.

cheesegrader

The 88 doesn't have the swept axle, or gear reduction steering, and 1400 hours is a lot.

Even in good shape, 4-500.  Less if there is any hint of valve seat problems, electrical gremlins, or bad tires.

Two stage thrower in good shape is 4-500, more if it just snowed hard!

60 deck is 3-400, 48 deck is 2-300.

Plow is 200.  

I'm not a big fan of the HC--I just don't get the need for speed--so at 1400 hours I woudn't offer any more than the 88.

I'm sure you will get other opinions.

Condition counts for more than any other factor.

I'm assuming everything in good working order, no major damage or rust.

Ken B

I like to buy em cheap as well. I think if that HC is in good shape and runs well (even with the hrs on it) its worth more than 3 or 400. Its gotta be worth more than a 310? :scratchead: I'm also not sure if you are trying to buy or sell the 520 HC? Not trying to be argumentative, just another opinion..

Brooksy

I own the 520hc that I have posted in pictures. I'm looking at buying a 88 520h with 1400hrs that comes with 48inch deck, snow plow, and oem chains and weights. Jw what price is decent. I got him down to a $1,000 if he can throw in the snow plow and weights with that price I think I'll do it. What do you guys think. Tractor is in great shape only flaw is it's not oem red it's a primer red like someone was going to restore it to factory color at some point. And I duno where you guys are finding these 520s for cheap because around here there going for $1,500 plus all day long in good shape.

clip

For that price I'd look for something larger. A Farmall Cub in decent shape can be had with dozer/grader blade and mower deck for around 1500. Most owners of WHs don't need that size though and can successfully use a garden tractor for 95% of their tasks, so I'd keep looking for a 300-400 or C1xx series for a little better price. I talked to a gentleman around here about his 520s and HCs and he was asking about the same as yours, so I had to pass.

Brooksy

The 520H and HC really hold their value here on the east coast I have never seen one posted for less the a $1000

Pollack Pete

The 520H and HC really hold their value here on the east coast I have never seen one posted for less the a $1000

I agree on the thousand dollar price.I'd love to see the people that say a 520 is worth 300 to 400 dollars sell theirs for that price.I'll gladly come get them.

bmsgaffer

For what its worth:

I picked up a 91 520H (+48" deck in OK shape) with probably 6-800 hours (meter stopped a couple years prior) for $500... Granted it had tires that wouldn't hold air, engine was surging, had a black painted hood and some decent rust inside the hood stand, but mechanically everything was really sound. Just sat out in the sun a lot.

At 1400 hours I would be SURE there was good maintenance done and I would try to run it for a while if you can and let it get good and warm to make sure the engine and transmission are up to snuff. I can't comment on east coast prices, but there were a few around here that were selling for $1-1.5K with a 60" deck but only had 500 or so hours on them.

These machines are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them:handgestures-thumbupright:   It is truly unquantifiable with as many variables as there are.

Edited by bmsgaffer

Brooksy

Last year I bought my 88 520HC with 1400hrs had new 60inch deck and nice 44inch dual stage snow blower. Everything worked great still original condition with 25 hard years of abuse and it still runs great. I know it was beat because my best friends dad owned it since new and him and his 3 brothers beat the hell out of it lol. Put 76hrs on it this year between mowing and snow blowing thing didn't skip a beat paid $1400 worth every penny to me. I'm going to look at the 520H tonight I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the replies! Here's my 520HC

post-14813-76040_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Brooksy

the dual stage blower thing throws snow 30feet easy lol

Edited by Brooksy

JackC

i do not see many HCs for sale.  I do see H's.  This is a 1989 520H with 650 hours that I paid $450 for. I also wanted the C series fender and seat that is on it.

post-4541-0-37321000-1426257122_thumb.jp

Brooksy

Did you get any attachments with it?

ericj

a grand is a little high $ 750.00 to $ 900.00 would be better. i've personally have paid  $ 300.00 to $ 1400.00 for mine. i think only the high dollar 1 i bought was the only good running one when purchased all other ones needed a lot of tlc to get running. if i were to sell any, and none are for sale unless it's at a ridiculous price, i would want at least $ 1000.00 or more for it. but as stated above it's what you are comfortable paying. i don't know if everybody would admit to it or not but most of us has at one time or another payed more then we should have for a tractor. when i sell one i try to leave a little bit of meat on the bone so to speak, for the next guy. but i try not to let the next guy make a mint off of it either. a nice fair price

eric j 

Brooksy

So I ended up paying a $1000 for just the 520H tractor and 48inch rear exit deck. He wanted 400 for the plow and weights I passed that up since I already have a dual stage snow blower. The tractor ran great all new belts new battery hub caps in perfect condition. Everything worked great some pulleys replaced new plugs all fresh oil absolutely no rust I thing I got a okay deal I'm happy. Here are some pics

post-14813-0-98390400-1426295719_thumb.j

post-14813-0-60757300-1426295760_thumb.j

post-14813-0-76707500-1426295815_thumb.j

post-14813-0-67628100-1426295900_thumb.j

Forest Road

1400 hours is pushing it for an Onan in a WH. $1000+ is on the high side either of those given the hours and age. If you really want it go for it. Deals are out there it's just a matter of time.

I bought a 1996 520h 110 hours, snow cab, single stage blower. Just needed a tuneup and she was running. $500!

The seller started at $1000. Take your time and buy low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooksy

I'd love you guys to find me any 520 for less then grand you guys are lucky as **** there's a guy on here now just sold one with dual stage blower and 60inch deck for $2500. If you see a deal like that let me know if buy everyone. And it'll last as long as you take care of maybe I didn't get a steal but I didn't over pay you guys are crazy. Wish people were that dumb around here to sell them for that cheap. Hell the hub caps are worth $200 all day long lol

Edited by Brooksy

Brooksy

And of course a none running tractor with a single stage blower is only worth $500 it's all about finding someone that doesn't know what they have. I got one with all new belts and fluid everything serviced new deck wheels ready to mow some ****. Plus it's rear exit which is badass!!

Edited by Brooksy

Forest Road

Unfortunately I showed up to the party a bit late, after your purchase. I'm not even sure if you'd posted pics of your new ride when I responded. Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.

One thing I've learned is that the deals tend to come around when you least expect. Someone told me about the 520 I purchased. A friend of a friend scenario. It had been used at an apartment complex and put away with a full tank of gas. 2-3 years later it ran like junk and was pushed out the door.

So with a few scratches, a perfect single stage blower, and very nice snow cab it was sold off at 109 hours. The carb was filthy, fuel lines replaced and off she went. I traded it to a friend for a 314h, which I still have. My friend repainted the 520 and still owns it 3 years later. It looks new. The deals are out there. Be patient my friend. There are most certainly more of them out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken B

It also seems the deals always pop up when I'm cash light, When I'm cash heavy there ain't nothing out there...

• Like 3

baerpath

I'd love you guys to find me any 520 for less then grand you guys are lucky as **** there's a guy on here now just sold one with dual stage blower and 60inch deck for $2500. If you see a deal like that let me know if buy everyone. And it'll last as long as you take care of maybe I didn't get a steal but I didn't over pay you guys are crazy. Wish people were that dumb around here to sell them for that cheap. Hell the hub caps are worth $200 all day long lol

And there was one that got down to $550 with no takers. He ended up trading it off.  Location makes a lot of the price difference

Theroundhousernr

I saw that 520H listed on Ebay. It seems like a pretty clean start. It said something about it being in primer and not painted yet. So you will have to paint which is a bummer. Personally, PA is one of the states loaded with Wheel Horse. So I usually have no problem finding a deal. My 520H with hub caps , like new 48 inch deck, and a tractor in perfect shape except for the decals starting to peal was $350 with just a few hours over 1000 hrs. It had an oil leak and needed a good cleaning. Just found a c160 for $250.... A mint condition c175 for $250

Pricing is one of the goofiest things about this hobby. You have The Big Show prices, you have local craigslist prices , buying from collector prices and then parting it out prices. And these prices as a whole range from state to state. Then you consider what they sold for new?? :banghead:

Personally, I am happy to live in the region I do which for years was strong and healthy with wheel horse dealers in just about every township. So they are littered everywhere. In my short 10 minute drive to work , I have counted about 7 still in use as daily mowers and are most likely original owners. Most people , like the gentlemen I bought my 520H from where "upgrading" to a zero turn and was happy just to see it go to a good home and out of his way.

So that being said , It is worth what it is worth to YOU. I have the itch for a low hour mint condition 520H with reduction steering and a mint condition 48 deck I can still see the paint under it. Am I going to pay out the nose? Sure , but that's what I want and what I am looking for. When you consider a new one was around 5k. $1500 to $2000 is not to shabby and it will last me a long long time. Trust me , those low hour machines turn up all the time in that price range around my area. So asking the whats it worth question , the answer is $50 to $5000. Where is it located? Condition? Who owned and cared for it? Does a collector own it? and so on and so on.

Good Luck with the purchase! :handgestures-thumbupright::icecream:
ea5e5de3895c4ad797adfe5fe8922db3.jpg

d52d7a970a14592c09e90f9211d7af79.jpg

d7f04811d26feb7f29050c7850b180cf.jpg

I have not had the chance to get better pictures of the C175. It cleaned up great!

Edited by Theroundhousernr

JackC

Did you get any attachments with it?

A fair condition 48 inch deck came with it.

Brooksy

Here my 520HC and 520H. Just compression tested both motors. All cylinders were 115-120psi cold. I was so relieved to find this out !! Both have just over 1400hrs on them. I'm planning on adjusting the valves and clean the cooling fins before the mowing season starts. Not trying to drop a valve seat. Planning on painting the primer one once it warms up. I'm going to keep the 520HC patina all original post-14813-0-41138700-1426468646_thumb.jpost-14813-0-36982200-1426468634_thumb.jpost-14813-0-21693300-1426468615_thumb.j

Theroundhousernr

And of course a none running tractor with a single stage blower is only worth $500 it's all about finding someone that doesn't know what they have. I got one with all new belts and fluid everything serviced new deck wheels ready to mow some ****. Plus it's rear exit which is badass!!

By the way. The picture shows a side discharge deck and they never made a rear discharge 48 inch deck.