rockinhorse

D-160 WITH ONAN ENGINE /STARTER PROBLEMS

rockinhorse

OK to start with i have no experence with the D's or Onan engines.  I got a D-160 the guy said the starter was bad. He said he had problems getting the starter out had to take engine loose and push it forward and move a lot of stuff to get it out. Is there a easy way to get the starter out without taking the whole engine apart.  I took the one shield around the oil filter off. He told me i would have to take oil filter and drip shield off. I looked at shourd around flywheel and cannot see any bolts holding it on. He said starter would stick into flywheel when trying to startand have to pry it out (off) of flywheel.  The owners manual say's it's a BF engine.  If you have any ideas let me know? I was looking a owners manual and if it had been a Kohler engine it would be easy to replace.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Would an Onan service manual help?

Garry

Theroundhousernr

There was a post last year about taking this starter off . It broke down in the snow and he did it in the driveway. The part I liked about the post was he said he took it all apart( more then he had to) then posted the only things needed to be done to get at it. If I can find it , I will post it up or maybe someone knows the post I am referring to....

JackC

I have replaced the starter on my ONAN BF powered D160.  I did not see any shortcuts and did not want to stress anything except myself.  I basically wound up taking the front of the tractor apart in order to move the engine so I could get access to the bolts securing the starter.  There apparently is a simpler way to do it.

Here is a video where the owner mentions the difficulty in changing the starter.

rockinhorse

Like they said take the front half out to change a starter.  On my tractor P/O had change exhaust pipe to muffler and replaced it with iron pipe and fittings . If only they had put a separate tin in front of the starter you could remove the starter a lot easier . If i have to remove exhaust i will put straight pipes on when it goes back on.

psalms83:18

If it's not to late.... I removed toil filter and filter mount bracket thingy it's right on top of the starte was easy two bolts

There is two bolts under neath the flywheel shrowd "UNDer like against the top of the frame" hard to notice.

Then use a small item screwdriver or block to gently hold the shrowd toward the back of the machine ie away from the starter

Then you can slowly "half turns at a time" take the starter bolts off from reaching where the oil filter assembly was. Took me 15-20 min and I had to poke and prod slowly to find the shrowd bolts

And starter only engages with flywheel when it's being started , u should have no problems when it's off and unplugged from battery!!!

Edited by psalms83:18

rockinhorse

Well i got the starter off.  Psalms83:18 it took me longer than you.      I could not get the oil drip plate to come off until i got the top starter bolt out. I will get pics tomorrow but it looks like the wrong starter . The teeth on the starter are a lot bigger than on the flywheel.  Does any body have a picture of a starter off of a D-160 with Onan engine.  I am just about convinced that this will be the last Onan engine i will ever own.

boomers_influence

rock

if your starter is correct for a BF

it should have TEN teeth.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

• Like 1

rockinhorse

OK  the starter is off here are some pics of starter and flywheel.  Starter teeth look to be 1/2" apart , flywheel look to be around 3/8' .  why they put the started bolts there ?  Let me know what you think if this is the right starter ?

Thanks  Karl

post-4384-0-55213000-1426464653_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-32373300-1426464696_thumb.jp

post-4384-0-56324600-1426464727_thumb.jp

That looks exactly like mine. Though I didn't count any teeth. Also look back at my thread a couple down the list I got some pics of mine in there.

That oil filter mount thingy is still on the engine in your pics I had to take that off for more room. But at least you didn't have to take the whole engine off and apart.

And I could of been underestimating a little with my time! 😇

Edited by psalms83:18

rockinhorse

OK Guys  mission accomplished starter works and i got the engine to run for a short time. Cleaning gas tank and changing gas filter next.  Thanks for all your help again.  This is a great place to go to if you need help.

Thanks  Karl

rockinhorse

OK guys got the tractor  running good went out tonight to take pictures.  I turned the key on the starter made a big noise and fell on the floor. psalms83:18 the started broke in the same place yours did.  And it was running so good this ONAN does not like me .  Do i have to get a new starter or can i get the bracket?

WH nut

Just get some glue and put her back together :laughing-rofl:

rockinhorse

OK i give up looking for part # of starter for this motor.  Here is engine Model#  BF-MS-2929E  serial# is   B763152361 can someone give me the Part# for the starter?

gwest_ca

OK i give up looking for part # of starter for this motor.  Here is engine Model#  BF-MS-2929E  serial# is   B763152361 can someone give me the Part# for the starter?

Likely in this manual

Garry

• Like 1

rockinhorse

Thank You  Garry i found it .   Starter #201252

thanks  Karl

boomers_influence

rock

the BF engine, after spec A should have onan # 191-0933 starter.

it is the same as used on the B 43/48 M.

thank you boomer

• Like 1

How did you make out?? New or used starter?

? Ebay? 50$ shipped!!

I laughed my head off to read the starter broke in the same place and dropped on the floor!

But I'm not laughing for you unfortunate turn of events!

Mine won't stay running when I put it in drive!