Dieselcowboy

Collections in series

Dieselcowboy

Wondering if anyone else thinks like me and puts together a collection by years, models and or other ways?

I have been slowly working of a full set of round hoods one from every year they made the rounds. From 55 to 64 I think. Getting there still need the 55,56 62 and 64. If it were not so muddy I'd get them out and grab a pic lined up.

rmaynard

Sounds like a nice idea, but not something that I am able to afford to do.

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

I realize this kind of collecting can be really expensive. I did fail to mention it has taken me years to find the rights ones at the right price to get this far.

rmaynard

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great endeavor. As the title over my avatar implies, I started building my collection with B-100's. After three, I decided to branch out. Had I started collecting earlier in my life, I may have chosen the same path as you. Being retired now with a limited amount of funds available for the hobby, and far worse, a limited amount of time to collect, and far less available horses in my area, I need to build my collection base on what happens to come my way. :)

• Like 5

papaglide

I kind of stumbled upon my method for collection: at least one model from every decade. I just need a 1960, 70 and a 2000 to fill it out. Funny thing is that I had a 69 Gt14 and 74 B-80 and traded them away BEFORE I realized that I wanted to collect a tractor from every decade. Ugh.

Edited by papaglide

ericj

i started out anything wheel horse, for a while there i had a 73 thing going. a 73, 12 auto,12-8,8-8,10-8, and a 18 auto, then economics and room got in the way and all went but the 12 hp auto and 8 speed. now it's all onans or just about i do have several kohler and several C120 autos. at one other time i had a bunch of 14 hp tractors. who know what might or could happen tomorrow. it could and probably will change. like said above you nrver know what you might pick up next

eric j 

slammer302

I like to have a few from all years and models

JackC

My main focus is on the twin cylinder flat heads and more muscle the better machines.  The oldest tractor i have is a 1966 876.  The newest is a 1998 520Lxi.  My favorite is my 1989 520HC. I have multiples of the models I like best.  I tend to buy machines with issues that I believe I can can fix.  I have picked up some amazing deals on dead machines that required very simple fixes to bring them back to life.

btm1970

I think your collecting goals evolve. I started collecting first years of every brand.(modern rear ends)that got boring so I went to all wheel horse with 15 inch tires. that's all done. then all the d series. now im just round hoods and rare ones. after the round hoods I am thinking of the old afl west collection...raider,charger,bronco.

Edited by btm1970
  • Like 1

baerpath

At one time I had  all the black hood C series 8spd and hydro.  Sold almost all of them and started again

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: D/cowboy I am some what like you. I only collect 67 series =1967 models only no auto`s. I only need the 607 to complete. It is fun. Enjoy collecting it is all in the search. I every time I see an old barn I say I would like to see what`s in there.  Enjoy your searching Gary      B......

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

I started out buying any tractor that was a Wheel Horse.Then I decided to just buy just 12 horse power and above.That's kinda what I concentrate on now.There's certainly enough of those to collect.

fireman

All those round hoods and he hated them when he first started collecting Wheel Horse :ychain:

But it's true! He was a Black Hood guy.

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

All those round hoods and he hated them when he first started collecting Wheel Horse :ychain:

But it' true! He was a Black Hood guy.

I can relate! I was a blackhood guy myself (still am at heart), but I'm picking up my second round hood (the first running) on Thursday.... They grow on you!

My herd will be more varied though, two round hoods (one worker, its small to fit places and park), two blackhoods (one sentimental, one big HP worker) is what I am trying to get down to. Oh and an XI if i can ever find an affordable one :)

Edited by bmsgaffer

Brrly1

My big thing with me Is, you'll never guess, GT14's but who didn't know that! I've had a few of each but normally they move on. I basically shop around until something catches my eye. Yes of course, I'm still looking for a 55', eventually I hope to find one. I've had the D's even a D250 which is big fun to operate. Real clean D200 but for some reason they move on. Only if I had Stevebo's barn!!!! I can dream can't I??

• Like 3

Jake217

A serious blackhood lover here. My collecting has been hit or miss over the years, but lately I've decided to focus on blackhoods with Eaton 1100's in them. Definitely not getting rid of the 520H with the tall shoot blower though, no matter what the collection may turn out to be. That beast has handled 2 30" storms, a couple more 18" storms and the smaller storms this year without missing a beat.

squonk

:USA:  :wh: D/cowboy I am some what like you. I only collect 67 series =1967 models only no auto`s. I only need the 607 to complete. It is fun. Enjoy collecting it is all in the search. I every time I see an old barn I say I would like to see what`s in there.  Enjoy your searching Gary      B......

Do you have a 1267?

• Like 1

squonk

I see dust. Do we need to send you one of those big honkin boxes of Swiffer dusters?  :)

post-2380-0-11214100-1426021310.jpg

Jake Kuhn

collecting a certain series can be fun, I would say my collection is the mid engine tractors. I just need a 550, 551 and early 55 rj35 and I could say I basically have all of them. And eventually would like to try and get one from every body style after the round hoods. 

woodchuckfarmer

How about some Merry Maids to clean up the dust.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Collecting those too Wayne?    :popcorn: 

Which ones...the early or later models? 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Collecting with a theme helps keep you on track.

I never really thought about any type of theme, just picked up what I could, when I could afford them.

Guess I do have a theme.....They are all RED!

• Like 2

Racinbob

When I had my herd up north there wasn't any rhyme or reason to what I had and I really never thought about it but I like the idea. Now, with limited space down here I can't have a herd but a few would be fine. After finding the Suburban 400 that I'm now restoring (yes, I'll be posting in that thread again) I'm wanting a 704. Why? Easy. My Dad's first Wheel Horse was a Suburban 400 when I was 5 years old. His second was a 704. That would be cool.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

I buy models that I like. No particular order. I like collecting the bigger HP models, eaton 1100's and 1 1/8 eight speed rear tractors. Getting to the end of tractor collecting. Now want some more mower decks and a loader! I want an electric start round hood like a 551 or even a suburban 400. I know its not electric start but I like those suburbans! One thing in common is they have all been some of the best deals you can find on these machines. :dance:  I really feel lucky finding the ones I have.