localdj77

Spindle location issues

localdj77

Hey guys!  So I started my rebuild on my 0537sc01 37" side chute and found a major contributor to my poor cutting.  I thought a bearing was going bad but it turns out part of the spindle housing for the lower bearing is broken and gone!!!

I know the factory part number is 109913 but is there an interchange for it?  Can't find any used and don't want to pay new prices.....

Help?!?!?!  Would rather not source a new deck but it may be the only option!!!

bmsgaffer

Have you posted here on the wanted ads?

I bought some spindles in the past from Daveoman so check with him or Kelly.

Otherwise you may be able to get a decent 42" deck used. I wouldn't go to 48" with the 12hp, but it should handle the 42 with no problem... (Then you can use the bigger front tires/wheels if you ever want to do that upgrade!)

daveoman1966

does your deck look like this one?

please contact me by direct email.....send to:

daveoman@windstream.net

post-1200-0-84042400-1425910185.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966

localdj77

Sending email now!  Thanks!

bmsgaffer

Ha, that was quick!

See I knew someone here would have them. :handgestures-thumbupright:

localdj77

Still waiting for him to email me back.  I have I can get this figured out.  Anyone know if a 1977 C160 deck would work?  Got a local guy that has a good deck for $100......thoughts?

bmsgaffer

I think everything C series up through the 500 series will work. The decks people sell aren't always what came with the tractor, but that was all attachmatic so it should be just fine.

bmsgaffer

Things to check: pull the spindle belt off and spin each blade to make sure its smooth. Check the sheet metal for rust, holes or warping.  Turn it over and make sure the spindles are all solid. There should be 4 bolts in each one, clean off the crud and make sure the aluminum hasn't broken off any of the mounting holes.

Check that the belt tensioner moves smoothly and doesnt have too much side-to-side movement. I would go ahead and replace the plastic bushings on the tensioner slide anyway (GlenPettit has them).

$100 is cheap enough that I would sink a little $ and work into it to make sure it lasts a while for you. And if that's his asking price you may be able to go a little lower if you find any of the above issues. (Tensioner bushings, belts, gauge wheels and bolts at a minimum. Paint and bearings if you want to go all out)

Edited by bmsgaffer

localdj77

This is the deck for sale......any thoughts?  Model?  Size?

bmsgaffer

Looks like its missing parts of the carriage where it mounts to the tractor. There should be a decent amount of those around to get one though.

I dont have much idea of model, but it is attachmatic. I think 42" is the one with the adjuster on the same side as the chute, I would have to double check this though...

Edit: it is a 42". Looks like it may have been painted. May be worth a look if the metal is all still solid, hard to tell without flipping it over though.

Edited by bmsgaffer

localdj77

It looks in decent shape.  Could I swipe the carriage from my 37" deck?  Will my 12hp do ok with a 42"

I would rather finish rebuilding mine considering I've already bought all the parts.....I hope Dave contacts me back soon.

bmsgaffer

I do not think yours will swap. The 37" was sort of an odd-ball in the attachmatic world, thats why it needed the smaller front wheels. I had a 10hp that cut 1.2 acres with a 42" for over 15 years, so the 12 will swing it no problem.

If you have already put some work into the 37 I would keep it, Dave should be getting back with you soon if he has your parts. If not post a wanted ad, I'm sure someone will have some.

You may want to consider putting new bearing in the spindles if you have it torn this far apart if there's even the slightest hint of grittiness. Good insurance, but thats up to you.

localdj77

yup I got all new bearings, spacers, blades, wheels......turns out the spindles were assembled wrong and the blades are CRAP.  I thought I have a bearing problem hence the reason I decided to rebuild.  Discovered the broken spindle during disassembly.  Among other things.  

Did I buy a blower from you?!?!?

bmsgaffer

Haha, yep! That was me.

Since you have all that into your deck I would definitely look for spindles. If Dave doesn't get back with you today, post in wanted or PM Kelly. Someone is bound to have a rusted out 37" deck they are willing to part out.

localdj77

Already posted in WTB!  

Yup I put a new chain on the blower and it works like a dream.  Still need to fix the chite cable but overall very happy with it!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Glad to hear it! Probably got a decent work out this year!

daveoman1966

I have the spindle you asked about.  Here are a few pics.  I am also sending a PM to you with further details.

I did get your off-site email to me, and I replied biut got no answer.

post-1200-0-54838400-1425997884_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-82471500-1425997887_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-99301600-1425997890_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-98137600-1425997893_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-16711100-1425997897_thumb.jp

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Im glad Dave got with you. Toro still sells them but yikes: http://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=109913

$110 (empty spindle housing)

Edited by bmsgaffer

localdj77

Makes sense dave.  I had a couple issues with email yesterday and apparently yours fell into the black hole as well.

NJHarleyDude

Just broke my spindle housing, too.  Any chance you have another spindle for a 0537SC01?  

BTW, my deck looks exactly like the one posted above.