WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Quick look

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

From the valve u see throw spark plug hole does it look good?engine runs strong

post-13960-0-53791300-1425836440_thumb.j

boovuc

Not certain what engine/tractor this is on but if the engine runs strong and it's not smoking, missing and idles OK, then I would guess it's OK.

There is no real good way to look for issues with a valve through the spark plug hole unless you were looking for catastrophic damage. The head has to come off to view the valve and seat properly.

• Like 3

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

It's on my 312-8 runs great and everything was just looking at old plug and this engine has 3408 hours

chazm

Well... like they say...if it ain't broke.... :eusa-think:       run it ... :auto-dirtbike:

boovuc

It's hard to say if that is the correct hours. I always question 3000 + hour engines anyway. Some have that many and particularly the K Series engines. Sometimes and many times with little kids in the area, the switch gets left on and the time runs up. It could also have been rebuilt sometime in it's service life. What Chazm states above is good stuff: try not to look under rocks for something wrong. Inspect, observe, listen and feel. If the plug gets fowled, well, I say it has earned that right with that many hours on it.  :)

WH nut

The only thing you are going to see looking through the plug hole is the top of the piston. The valve are towards the carb side of the motor.

WHEEL HORSE 312-8

Not this one

tunahead72

So, what engine is this exactly?  A model and spec number would help us understand.

rmaynard

Not this one

You may be correct. There are some K301 heads that have the spark plug hole directly over the exhaust valve. However, there is no way to see anything but the top of the valve, and therefore no way to tell what is going on under the head. Edited by rmaynard

WH nut

Looks like a dark hole to me

doc724

I had a similar situation on a K241.  Moved the engine by hand and expected to see the piston move.  Nothing happened so I pulled the head.  Duh, the spark plug is located between the valves and piston so of course you cannot see anything move.  I also snapped one of the head bolts taking the head off so now I am forced to deal with that.  I forgot the cardinal rule of DIY:  "if it ain't broke, don't touch it!"