Brian1045

dual wheels/tires

Brian1045

Ok....

I'm in the mood to purchase adapters for dual wheels. What is the standard for the rim sizes. Do most people run the 12x7.5"?.....12x8.5"?

I think the adapters are usually 8.5" tall from hub to hub. Can anyone confirm the setup most often used on the older tractors?

Example: 753 series

thx..Brian

BairleaFarm

I saw those bell. i was thinking all you would have to do is cut a big piece of pvc pipe to the width you like. I think that would work and be cheaper than buying them.

• Like 1

bell

That would not be a bad idea, if you had access to PVC pipe that LARGE...

I'm gonna just ask "santa" for a set of these for christmas... I already have 2 sets of nice 6-12 AGs for the 853 project (633 with S/G K181) :banghead:

GlenPettit

Those "dual wheel rings" are nice and will work very well, but, if you work hard and pull a load with them there is a good chance the inside wheels will have more bite and turn more, twisting the long bolts holding the wheels together. The original factory "dual wheel adapters" had a square type box welded with tubes for the bolts to prevent them from twisting. For mowing and casual work, those rings are excellent an will work with any width 23" rear tire, and plastic conduct will work also.

Nick

If the are kept tight the steel ring adapters should work fine. When running duals I do like to run less pressure in the outer tires. There might be other reasons but I think it puts less stress on the transmission, axles and bearings.

duals002.jpg

• Like 1

jerrell

:USA: WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT.... i bet you could take the rims to a welding shop and get a piece of strap metal to make that ring,,cheap and strong. and use #8 steel bolts, no slipping...jerry

:banghead: are there other rims that will fit the wh, 5 lugs?????

daemon2525

:USA: WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT.... i bet you could take the rims to a welding shop and get a piece of strap metal to make that ring,,cheap and strong. and use #8 steel bolts, no slipping...jerry

:banghead: are there other rims that will fit the wh, 5 lugs?????

If you're gonna go to a welding shop. then you might as well make them like the original square ones. It wouldn't be any harder than making circles, and I think it's a better idea. I always thought that if I needed some that I would make the square ones myself.

CasualObserver

The diagram and measurements have been available for years.

Just print this picture, take it to a machine shop. should cost you roughly $50 +/- for a pair of these.

dualspacer.jpg

Nick

Jerry, A box style is easily built, its just pipe and some flat stock, the only problem is keeping things lined up while welding it. The ring style does have the small advantage that any size tire and rim offset will have the same spacing. Whatever style you can get hold of cheap they will work. :banghead: Most any 5 lug rim will work on a wheel horse if the backspacing allows enough clearance. A few models, like the Commando 800, have longer axles and will accept about any rim.

These were 23-10.5x12 tires with deeper offset rims on my old Commando.

commando3rib004.jpg

jerrell

Nick,those are monsters, and look as if they should have as much traction as duals, ,,, been looking for ag tires but wanted taller ones, i have a post asking what size i could put on a GT 1800 rims, i just went to the shop and measured my rims, they are 7.5 in inside bead to bead and 8 in top of rim to top of rim, so how do they measure them? they was 13 in across rim to rim. some one said i could use 26x12x12 and would like to but don't want to buy tires and they not fit, so i guess i will take a rim to tire town and have them fitted... i really like those wide tires, with 4 tires i know the inside one would be the first one to go flat...thanks jerry

ps, i could lift the fenders up for a bigger tire, couldn't i.

Mith

What Nick said....

Get a ring of steel made to fit inside the rim, I made mine by getting a bit of 2x0.125" flat bar and ran it through a roller into a ring. Put it inbetween the tyres and put threaded rod or long bolts through.

I used mine for heavy work and had no worries. Run the outer tyres with less pressure to make turning easier.

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

25-04-07_1826.jpg

CasualObserver

I wouldn't worry at all about the spinning and twisting mentioned as long as you bolt them up tight. Adding the ring spacer is essentially the same as making your own version of these. (My DMI garden tractor duals.) These are just smaller versions of the exact same thing that gets used on full size farm tractors. If they could use them without worrying about twisting bolts, I don't think a garden tractor has anything to worry about.

dmi.jpg

• Like 1

jerrell

jason, that was exactly what i was talking about... very cheap to build, what did yours cost, 10,,20 bucks???

CasualObserver

what did yours cost, 10,,20 bucks???

No... a bit more than that. :USA: These are original factory DMI duals made for 12 inch garden tractor wheels. The decal on each wheel says Dietrich, which was the family name that founded DMI (Dietrich Manufacturing Inc. the ag implement manufacturer in Goodfield, IL). DMI was sold out to Case/IH in the 80s, and became part of CNH Global before they shut the plant down. ( I used to live in Goodfield before I moved to MN and they were still making chisel plows and sub-soilers there I think) I've tried to find any original paperwork to go with these, but have not had any luck. The Wheel and Bumper divisions of DMI were sold off soon after the Case/IH buyout, and they don't have any info. .......Anyway... I think however you are correct, it would not be expensive to replicate them. I have them put away for winter in the shed, but could probably get them back out and take some other pictures this weekend if you want/need them. I know there's at least one other member who's got a set of these too. :banghead:

GlenPettit

No they are not universal, the Wheel Horse man that makes these in Indiana needs to know what size/width tires you have and he will make that pipe center the correct length. He also needs to know if you want the rubber on the tires touching or 1/2" or 1" apart, he has done all the math/charts and makes these for any/all small tractors. He's great, fast, very neat and fair, also has attended several shows (WH Constantine, MI). I have a pair and like them best. Can contact directly thru eBay.

Torino

This will probably be a stupid question. Why can't you just bolt the outer wheel and tire to the inner one without a spacer?

saguaro

This will probably be a stupid question. Why can't you just bolt the outer wheel and tire to the inner one without a spacer?

Rubber to rubber I dont think you could keep the outer one from slipping. On a truck anyway thay are spaced for exspansion and heat build up.

CasualObserver

Not a stupid question. My answer would be because then you have no support to prevent horizontal or vertical shift of the outer wheels. When you are bolting a spacer in between, it gives the outer wheel a solid connection to the inner wheel and thus the axle hub. if you just bolt the outer wheel on without, you have a chance that the tires can flex, twist and shear your bolts, or worse, damage the rims. It doesn't matter what kind of spacer you put in there, but there needs to be something solid for the outer wheel to hold on to.

redrooster
On 10/30/2008 at 10:23 PM, GlenPettit said:

No they are not universal, the Wheel Horse man that makes these in Indiana needs to know what size/width tires you have and he will make that pipe center the correct length. He also needs to know if you want the rubber on the tires touching or 1/2" or 1" apart, he has done all the math/charts and makes these for any/all small tractors. He's great, fast, very neat and fair, also has attended several shows (WH Constantine, MI). I have a pair and like them best. Can contact directly thru eBay.

How do I contact this vendor?

GlenPettit

"Wheel Spacer"  $65,     eBay name:  "1965Dodge2013", Bourbon, IN ... was item #321381519761   (But, this was 9 years ago).

Google:   "Garden Tractor", Wheel Spacers    to see a variety of different methods.

There maybe/should be other people making those spacers now ???

I've seen where people use a 2" wide piece of 12" White Plastic PVC pipe (which has very thick walls), for several years & were happy with it.

Glen

953 nut

This drawing can be modified to work with any width rims.

Wheel Dual adapter.pdf

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I run the pvc style spacer with 6-12's and works really well for me. Cheap too!

Randy

• Like 1

redrooster

I was thinking that the pvc adapters would scratch the paint on the rims.