JAinVA

Balance gears

JAinVA

Hello,

I just purchased a c101.After a few hours of relatively light use it lost power and I need to figure out why.What I'm thinking about is replacing the 241 with a 301 I have.The 12 horse was running good until it caught on fire.It sat for close to twenty years but still turns freely.My question 

is did Wheel Horse spec the balance gears on late 70's Kohlers.I have rebuilt many engines but the timing of balance gears by Kohler manual

instructions has me scratching my head.I have read that some Users (John Deere for one) did not opt for balance gears which were optional

from Kohler.I would appreciate any and all  advice on this question.Thanks in advance,JimAnderson.

TT

I remove them, but you'll find lots of other info and opinions on the counterbalance gears if you search the forums.

rmaynard

If the engine has them, just remove them and use them for paper weights.

• Like 3

can whlvr

if its a 10 hp it might not have them,if it does take em out

546cowboy

Actually I had a Kohler 16 that I rebuilt several years ago over the winter. I did reinstall those balance gears and the procedure is a real pain. I must have done it over and over about 6 times. I even was lucky enough to find the shim kit at my local dealer who was glad to get rid of them.

After I spent all that time and aggravation on them after running about an hour the R.P.M's went through the roof and chucked the new rod. I decided that was my last my last attempt and still have that engine on the shelf.

oldredrider

The first Kohler I rebuilt had a catastrophic failure caused by the balance gears. Every motor since then (dozens) has been reassembled without the gears.

No decrease in performance and minimal change in vibration.

Save yourself the pain installing them , wondering when they are going to fail and how much damage they will cause when they go South.

meadowfield

Leave them out, the shims and bearings wear quick and end up in the oil!

JC 1965

I followed TT ( terry's ) advice on this subject about 2 years ago. He suggested I take the balance gears out. I did and I'm glad. No problems and now I don't have to worry about them coming apart in my engine. Thanks again Terry.     :thumbs2:

meadowfield

Leave them in long enough and you get this!

IMG_20150307_1704342_zps8wcjvy9k.jpg

The shims and needle bearings are under a lot of stress, the fine strands are the remains of the shims.

JAinVA

Thanks to all who replied to this question.Knowing the balance gears were an option and based on your suggestions I will make paper weights out of mine at rebuild.JimA