Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Center Blade Not Cutting

Greg B.

Hey, Gang,

I have a three blade, sd deck on my horse. The outer blades cut well, but the center blade leaves much to be desired. I have a similar problem on the Deere, but lets burn one bridge at a time.

Thanks,

Greg B.

Rollerman

Double check the belts 1st to make sure it's grabing the pulley right?

Seems if the tensioner were sliping though it would effect all the blades.

Next look at the blade itself...is it bent, or is the edge wore off?

With the deck off...or atleast the deck secured in a way to prevent any accidents...grab ahold of the center spindle & see if it has some play?

Could be the bearings are going bad & will need rebuilt.

Make sure also the drive pulley for that spindle is not slipping on the arbor?

TT

And....

Make sure the blade is not on upside-down and that whatever holds it to the shaft is tight. (3/8" bolt on the early decks / large nut on the newer ones)

nylyon

Belt routing? If you could snap a pic of how the belt is routed to be sure it is correct, but then again, the center pulley should always spin correctly.

Greg B.

Thanks for the leads, guys. I'm beginning to suspect the upside down blade. I put a new set on, not too long ago. I'm going to have the deck out, next week or so.

Karl, It seems that I am one, of about three in the country, that doesn't own a digital camera.

Greg B.

T-Mo

What about leveling? Or do the Wheel Horse decks need leveling?

nylyon

That could be a possibility as well. Most of these decks have front to rear leveling, something to check!

Rollerman

TT I did not even think about mentioning the upside down blade idea...to obvious, but thanks for bringing it up.

MO Terry...good point.

I have a manual I could scan & send to you Greg?

TT

I guess when you go through enough of these "experiences", they tend to stick in your brain.

These are a few of mine:

~A GT1142 that I bought with a stuck (crankshaft) engine but was like new. I got it running and wanted to mow some grass. After the first 20 feet or so, I turned around and looked at the progress. It looked like a hippo rolled along behind me and flattened down the grass! :P The PO had just sharpened the blades and was going to mow when he engaged the PTO and the engine stalled. (that's when it seized) It sat for about a year before I bought it and I never looked under the deck, so I didn't know that ALL 3 BLADES were on UPSIDE DOWN!

That one was an easy fix. :D

~When I bought my 633, it came with a good solid mower deck. I though it would make a good "rough" mower to save the one on my 312A. Up along the edge of the township road here used to be a mini-jungle. Now it's tamed to wire grass and an occasional briar bush sprout. I pulled in along the grass and released the pedal to kick the mower in. It was actually quieter than the 42" deck on my 312A! I put it in first gear, eased the clutch out, and was very pleased to hear the old K-141 never miss a beat. Once again, spin around in the seat to check progess and that damn hippo was following this tractor too! :( Back at the shop, I raised the front end and took a gander underneath the deck. Hmmmmmmm....... the wrong edge of the blades were SHINY! I got my 9/16" socket & ratchet and unbolted the blades, switched them side to side, and bolted them up again. NOT ONLY do these old gear drive decks need the blades timed correctly, (so they don't hit each other) they also COUNTER-ROTATE, requiring a left blade and a right blade. :(

With the blades now on the correct sides, the old 633 mowed like a new one.

~The last one is just plain easy. My neighbor has a 1973 14 Automatic with a newer 42" RD deck. He was mowing one day and noticed it was skipping about 14 inches of grass on the right side so he called me to come down and check it out. I walked from his garage down to the back yard, picked up the blade :( , and took it up and put it back on the deck. :o (I had an extra spindle nut & washer in my pocket when I left my house :o ) Been there -- done that!

Rollerman

To funny TT, going to have to look out for those PA Hippo's :D

I piccked up a 312A last summer with a 42" side discharge & never did figure it out.

It would actually drag the blade on your left in the grass...even with the the height all the way up?

Thats even checking it on flat ground with a tape measure too.

Can only assume the deck shell had sprung?....no matter...it makes good parts for the many other decks around here.

combatmp29r

The best one I have had so far, was on the B-81 i have in the shed. I brought it home cleaned out the carb, fired it up and took a lap around the yard. Sure enough I was being followed by Terry's Hippo. Hmmm I bought it in PA too coincidence? Anyhow I pulled it over to the trailer and nosed onto the ramps. Looked underneath and low and behold the freshly sharpened blades the PO told me about were sharpened on the back sides, not the cutting sides :D

Greg B.

You guys are not just educational, but an absolute hoot, to boot! :(:(:( I've learned a couple of things, in addition to the mower deck problems.

1. There are hippopotomi indiginous to PA! :P

2. Machinery from Pa really needs to be checked out! :D

Thanks Gang,

Greg B.

PS: Stephen, I sent you an email.

TT

Greg B.,

Did you ever find anything wrong with your deck yet?

hippoSPL0706_468x297.jpg

combatmp29r

Oh Terry :D

TT

"I don't care who ya are -- THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE!" :P

(Lord, I apologize....... :D )

Greg B.

ROFLMAO!! :P:(

I haven't had a chance to work on it. Life (wife, kids, grand kids and doctors) keeps getting in the way... :D

Greg B.

TT

Thought you'd like that!

Life...... I love it to death! :P

Keep us posted. :D

T-Mo

I haven't followed this thread for a few days - but I wished I had. You guys are just too funny. Love it. That PA Hippo gets around a little bit - I think he followed me a time or two. :D

kj4kicks

I think that's a Northern PA hippo. I've never seen any of those here in SE PA. Whew !

Rollerman

Terry maybe it's a different breed of of Hippo...but I'm pretty sure it's ran behind the paver a few times at work. :D

Very funny pic...for us...not the fella runnin! :P

kj4kicks

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's a Kentucky hippo!

You know Kentucky..... Where men are men, and sheep are scared!

j/k

TT

I thought that was Montana ????? :D

....but don't open up thaaaaaaaaaaaat can of worms. :P

Curmudgeon

Funny, I was thinking Texas, down by the Rio Grand. At least that's my take from listening my Chinga Chavin CDs!

combatmp29r

Well what I want to know is how did Terry get a kentucky hippo way up by his place? Anything you want to tell us Terry? :D