stubber

rough valuations needed please

stubber

firstly apologies as this is only my 2nd post and being a bit cheeky but I hope you can help with advice

im hopefully going to get a unidrive commando 8 at the weekend its a bit rough (that looks fixable from pics)  theres no mower deck no implements and as far as I can tell the long handle isn't present either.

It has been on fire but got put out quickly has been run since but not for a few months the fella is asking £380 or nearest offer im thinking more £150-£200 who is being more realistic please don't want too pay more than its worth on the flip side he wont be wanting to et it go for less than he thinks it worth (been watching ebay to get a rough idea)

also is this a decent starter model and can I get implements for it as I get further down the line (getting it safe and running right is first priority)

post-14783-0-90903300-1425507988_thumb.j

any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

Ed Kennell

:WRS:  Dan.   

From what I can see on the one pic, that one is definitely worth saving.  I just finished redoing  a Commando 8, and I am really pleased with the way it drives.

They are a neat little tractor.

It does have the side mower drive which limits the available mower decks.  I have a poor side drive deck, but do not plan to use it.  If I were going to make it a worker, I would probably convert it to a PTO , front attach-a-matic, and mule drive system.

Mine has the stirrups instead of the running boards as shown in your picture.    Not sure if the boards are original, but stirrups are available.

I am not sure what the conversion is, but I paid 150USD for mine.  It did run and drive although I had to rebuild the steering, the seat, and put in a spare tranny as the axle keyways were wallowed out.

You can see my redo under the topic  "Commando 8 Gets a Cleaning.

post-7208-0-92208100-1425511127_thumb.jp

Good luck  Dan,

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Anglo Traction

Welcome Dan.

In answer to your question in a word No !. It is not worth anywhere near £380. In that condition, it is borderline Â£150 max in my humble opinion.

Can't see what the rest of it is like, but I just checked an Auction site's completed listings and it still shows the high fixed price ones as not sold.

The Auction ones sell for what people think they are worth some cheap (for parts), some good value as Runners etc. They find their own value.

There are a couple of '60s' Commandos (a 7 & an 8) local to me currently I would've liked to restore, but can't (wrong end of the country for you).    

To get it looking and running anywhere like Ed's example, you'd need to put a lot of money and time into it,...... assuming that is your objective.

Your call really :confusion-shrug: , but let us know what you do in the end.

Regards.        

neil

Dan, Richard is dead right , £380 is way over the top , I have two running commando 8 s and both were running with deck & I paid £200 each .

If you don't get this one there will be more come up at a more relistic prices, just be patient

rmaynard

I bought my Commando 8 three years ago for $150.00 US. It came with mower deck and many spare parts.

stubber

thanks for replys so far thought he was being optimistic going off the auction site listings turns out I cant go this weekend as ive been requested to go to work instead so ill see if its still available next week

ekennel yours is very tidy well done on that I don't think mines going to get anywhere near that but you never know :) id rather have footboards as kids will be on it doing bits on the field (main reason for getting one)

its a case of watch this space now ive seen some at agricultural shows and seen pics of what you lads have and decided its the way forward at the moment   

neil

If. You need a tractor with running boards , I would go for a raider if I were you , more horse power & slightly bigger , although the commando 8. Is a great tractor

meadowfield

Yeah, what Neil and Richard say, I know of a 704 going for half that if you are interested. It's on our sister forum...