callum12

project Agri-800??

Pullstart

Callum,  I read up on your project and watched your videos, that's quite a transformation you've given the Agri-800!  Nice work.  I saw that there was mention of low range on the 90 degree box, but if you keep your eyes out for an 8 speed rearend that is a feasible option as well.  Looking forward to more updates!

callum12

thanks for the kind words, if i 8 speed pops up i reckon i'll get it, i'm not going to search high and low it will find me! an 8 speed tranny is casting as a 3 speed so it will just bolt in won't it? is the brake drum in a different place or anything?
more updates to come,
callum  

Pullstart

The brake drum is similar, depending on which you get - I'm sure you'll be able to fab something up!  Otherwise, yes it will drop right in and the drive pulley may or may not have the same diameter shaft.  5/8" vs 3/4" I believe.

callum12

ah ok, input shaft will be find as I've got taper locks, as long as the input speed is the same, like you say it'll be fine.
anyway, for now lets just get her going!
callum 

SylvanLakeWH

Wow!

• Like 1

callum12

please tell me that is a 'wow!' of amazement! haha
if not please say why, I'm always up for constructive criticism and the like.

I will be getting around to a test drive very soon, the main thing at the moment is the lack of daylight after school. by the time I'm back changed clothes and had something to eat dinner's on the go and its dark! 

Callum 

SylvanLakeWH

please tell me that is a 'wow!' of amazement! haha
if not please say why, I'm always up for constructive criticism and the like.

I will be getting around to a test drive very soon, the main thing at the moment is the lack of daylight after school. by the time I'm back changed clothes and had something to eat dinner's on the go and its dark! 

Callum 

Definitely one of amazement! Very cool stuff you are doing... No criticism here!!!

You are very talented!

callum12

thank you very much, some very kind words there! 
As far as I am aware everything is about twice as strong as it needs to be so hopefully my creation will live up to it's name!

thank you again,
callum 

callum12

well then, i finally got a test run in today! it all works, the clutch seems to work really well. the only thing is the 90 degree gearbox pulley is a bit too low so the belt likes to come off, all i have to do is is shim it up a little. i did record the first start and little drive (all of about 6' of it) so i will include that with the main testing once i have shimmed the gearbox. not much point in uploading a 50 second video really!

Callum

• Like 2

Jparkes43

Thats great news Callum!! it all sounds pretty good other than that small hiccup but as you say its an easy fix and therefore it will be up to full operation shortly. 

That makes sense what you say however.

James

callum12

I did look to see if i could simply raise he pulley on the gearbox shaft but it would expose the key at the bottom, though this would probably be fine i don't want to risk anything. 
I am really happy though, i was pretty nervous! haha, 
Callum 

• Like 1

callum12

done, turns out i had to raise it 10mm! haha, oh well its all done now and a 5 minute idle and test of the clutch shows everything to be good so far. i was going to give it a drive but bare in mind it was pitch black, super windy and a complete quagmire! i'll film a test drive tomorrow. 
the last few times I've started it the solenoid that engages the starter pinion likes to let go while cranking, all i have to do it release the key and proceed to crank and it engages again. is this a sign the solenoid is on its way out? if so are they easy to replace?

callum :) 

Jparkes43

Thats great news! glad it all works perfectly! Ah yes it gets dark so early now!! and the wind recently has been crazy. Ah no is it a bit wet :( 

Not sure on that one however 

James

callum12

don't worry i'll brave the fierce winds and you shall have a proper test video! :D
then all i've got to do is weld the hitch lift rocker.
Callum 

• Like 1

callum12

here's the video, not too great as i could only test it in our small garden. I tested all gears and ran it for about 20minutes. the only thing i have found is that the belt and 90 gearbox pulley gets warm. not hot, just warm. 

callum
  • Like 5

Jparkes43

Wooo Hoooo go Callum! that works great! really good job on that! great bit of engineering 

James

• Like 1

Pullstart

great job Callum!

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

looks good. the 90 box getting warm is normal, friction heats things up

callum12

thank you everyone for you're kind words! :) 
i'll do some more testing under load to make sure the belt doesn't slip and i will put bearings in the nylon idler i made. 
callum

SylvanLakeWH

Nice job!

callum12

thank you! 
my neighbour is going to help me load the tyres. which will help no end with ploughing.
callum 

looks good. the 90 box getting warm is normal, friction heats things up

I did think it could have been due to my clutch setup, i didn't notice the original setup getting warm. i guess everything has to bed in too. 
thank you, 
callum

Pullstart

Hey @callum12, any updates on this project?

callum12

hello, 

nothing much to report, I'm afraid to say I've been quite busy with other things as of late. i will however be putting a slightly shorter belt on, the clutch pulley is nearly at the end of its travel as is.

callum 

bds1984

How's the progress coming over on your side of the pond?  

• Like 1

callum12

A long over due update:

I fired her up the other day an very randomly the belt would jump, I'm not really sure why but what would happen is all of a sudden the clutch pulley will get dragged in as if the clutch was being depressed, this would then send a 'ripple' along the belt. it would continue to run fine before doing it again.

so what i have done is installed a shorter belt, this probably would have needed doing as the clutch pulley was nearing the end of its travel, as the belt stretched it may have not been able to take that up. this seems to have solved it.

I think I may install a cogged belt, due to the idler the belt has to bend quite a lot, this leading to some noticeable transmission losses, when idling the engine pitch changes quite a lot as the clutch is depressed. not really a problem but a cogged belt would help. It was fitted with a cogged belt when standard. 

I have also noticed the 90 degree gearbox moves to slacken the chain when running, this could be a problem when running at full speed as the slack side of the chain is always meant to be on the bottom, mine is on the top, if it gets too slack the chain could catch up with its self leading to bit of a problem! to solve this I may drill out all holes from currently 6mm to 8mm for larger bolts. 

I still have yet to finish the weight bracket and hitch lift, I have a brand new Lincoln 200c speedtec multiprocess (MIG, TIG and stick) welder sat in my bedroom waiting to be used but i do not currently have 32A supply for it! :angry-steamingears::angry-steamingears::angry-steamingears: its waiting for the new workshop coming late summer! but I am growing inpatient for the hitch lift especially so I may cross drill holes through the lift arms through the shaft and install tight fitting pins. this may even be stronger than welding. even so once the welder is going i will weld them on, belts and braces and the like! 

the weight bracket will have to wait for the welder though. 

I will take some pictures for you all when there is something interesting to photograph (i.e. not different lengths of belts!)

Callum 

• Like 1