callum12

project Agri-800??

"D"- Man

has anyone added a horn to their horse before? 

i might do that just for fun! would be useful around rallies too, some sort of vintage comedy horn.

has anyone added a horn to their horse before? 

i might do that just for fun! would be useful around rallies too, some sort of vintage comedy horn.

​I am in the process of a resto-mod and one of the modifications included is a horn.  I also am converting the steering to accommodate a Grant style chrome wheel and Corvette horn button.  Still waiting for some parts to show up in the post so I can complete the inner-column works, Mark.

478.jpg

neil

This  is a great thread Callum& I love the modifications that you have done.
You ask whether you should put a car or bike battery on her , in my opinion I would put a car battery as this will give her the extra weight  for pulling etc 
i also like the idea of you doing a YouTube series on the build , 
look forward to the forthcoming instalments of this build.
Neil

• Like 1

callum12

thank you for the kind comment, I have already got a new battery, its the same size but 21AH instead of 17, though I might as well size it was only a couple of £ more. extra weight shouldn't be an issue since I'm doing the front spindle to 4 lug hub mod which will add a bit of weight, I'm also thinking of a front weight bracket as well. 
here is my first video for you:

I hope the video works ok,i tried to imbed it this time. if not here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRNLUGRPf0

thanks for looking 
callum 

• Like 1

callum12

popped out to the work shop to do a bit of disassembly, got everything out that needs to be. going to start making what i can of the brackets until my steel arrives tomorrow. 
Also off to local tyre shop to fit my front tyres on the rims and get an air impact gun (that i don't have) on the hub bolt so i can get the stub axles ready for centre drilling.
here is part two:

thanks for watching/looking,
callum
  • Like 1

callum12

got a jack and have been playing around with bits of wood, random metal offcuts and the jack to get the transaxle in its position. steel should arrive tomorrow, the angle iron I showed you and said I will remake in thicker steel will be made out of 10mm thick steel, heavy duty enough? :)  I'm going to try using four bolts on each axle rather than just the two, should look quite hefty. 
after getting the transaxle in position I realised that I have more space than originally thought, this will give plenty of space for the twist in the belt and reduce alignment issues.
callum

callum12

slight change of plan, even though there is more space that originally thought I am still pushed for space. the problem is that there isn't enough space between the counter shaft and the pulley from the engine. this means that the belt that runs between them that has the twist will not be long enough to accept the twist without causing issues like slippage, undue wear, and possibly coming off of the pulleys. 
because of this i have contacted a local company that deals with motors, gearboxes and other power and transmission stuff and asked about 90 degree boxes. i have left them with the specifications and am awaiting a reply. 
In away i am happy that i am going with a gearbox as it is extra weight (good for heavy duty-ness! :) ), one less belt to slip, a lot less work to mount and probably the same cost if not cheaper than buying the keyed shaft, pulleys, belts, bearings and materials to make the counter shaft. 

part three is filmed and ready to be edited, i have got the tranny mounted in now!
callum

callum12

here is part 3,
as explained before, a change of plans after shooting part 3 has meant that i haven't used some video. 

thanks for watching,
callum
  • Like 1

callum12

well, while I'm waiting for my gearbox angle drive thing i thought will sort the brakes. 
what I've done is i've used the deck lifting bar (the bit that has a rod going to the handle to the left of the tractor) and modified it slightly. i fortunately the perfect positioning of the deck lifter was right where the cut outs are the old tranny pulley, I made some bearing type blocks to get it in position. to my amazement it came out pretty square! anyway, from the brake pedal i could use the original linkage (just bent in one place) so i can still use the hand brake. I didn't film any of the making as i just wanted to crack on. anyway i just need to edit part 3.5 and all will be explained in greater detail. 

at the end of the last video, part 3, you may have noticed i said "stay tuned for an exciting part 3" what i meant was part 4 as i hoped to have had the gearbox before i got impatient! unfortunately I did but i couldn't call it part 4 as its not that exciting, thus part 3.5 is born! haha.

11414456_1651467005086822_1595190353_n_z

11414535_1651467008420155_1735911702_n_z

11414538_1651467001753489_1638573497_n_z

11329712_1651467011753488_478760428_n_zp

sorry for the poor pictures, they are actually stills from part 3.5! 
thanks,
callum

• Like 1

callum12

here is part 3.5, the brakes are now finished and since filming the hand brake now works.
hopefully i should have my angle drive the the end of the week.

callum
  • Like 2

callum12

Hi all,
this update is about the front hub mod, I went to a few garages before finding one with the correct size socket for their air gun, it was on there really tight, even their pro air guns struggled! 
anyway after getting the Hubs off i set about cutting the hub spindle off the the stub, i used a hacksaw for this as i didn't have an angle grinder at the time (much i had there :)
once that was done i got it in the lathe a faced off the cut. I use carbide tooling for my lathe and good job i do, it wasn't hardened, just hard!  anyway once faced off i took them to the local engineering company and they could centre both for the grand sum of £12. i would have done it my self but the drill bit (cheapest) was £5, i have learnt don't go cheapest so i was looking at about £15 for the bit, all the hassle of doing it my self and the strain on the old lathe, 3/4" is a big hole. 

I picked up those in my school lunch break and once home took off the WH spindles, cleaned them up (much needed) and cut to the correct length. i have left quite a gap between the hub spindle and the shoulder of the WH spindle. this is so i can fill the should with weld to produce a nice strong joint. the hub spindles are a good fit on the WH spindles so the weld won't be supporting the weight, just preventing the hub spindle sliding off. 

IMG_1671_zpsnkbm4nv9.jpg

IMG_1672_zpsugnyopzz.jpg

IMG_1673_zpswk53zrid.jpg

IMG_1674_zpsybpztcnh.jpg

thanks for looking,
callum

Edited by callum12
to add pictures

callum12

I took my spindles into school to weld up but the engineering technician said it would be much easy if i removed the welded flange part from the spindles. this part is a washer that has been welded on the one side so welding to this wouldn't add much if any strength and it makes it harder to get in with the MIG.
so after cutting and grinding off the welded on washer I am ready to weld them on tomorrow.  

just out of interest who is following this post? i haven't had many comments as of late, not much point on writing a detailed post if no one if following and enjoying it.

thanks, 
Callum :)  

• Like 2

bds1984

I'm interested to see where this build goes. So you're installing a transmission from a horizontal shaft powered machine into one that is a vertical?

callum12

Hi,
the whole project is about turning an A series lawn tractor into a garden tractor, hence the Agri-800 name. 
so far i have:
installed lights
installed a horn
made a stack
got bigger C-series rear wheels
tri ribs and agri tyres front and back
front spindle hub modification 
larger 8" wheels 
in the process of installing a horizontal shaft tranny into a vertical shaft tractor (as you mentioned) 
I have got a clevis hitch to fit as well

I am on the case with the angle gearbox so an update should be ready soon
thanks for looking, 
Callum

meadowfield

Keep on with it! :)

wheeledhorseman

Fascinating project Callum - I like the A-800 it has potential for improvement! I did one as a light custom with the aim of giving it a better overall appearance as a scaled down WH, you're going for upping it and re-engineering it - good on ya! Perhaps WH should have made a range of these (a missed opportunity perhaps).

You mention taking bits into school so is this project also for a course? If so I think it's on track for A* grade.:handgestures-thumbupright:

Andy

callum12

yep, its really coming on! thanks for the kind words everyone! nice to here there is still plenty of interest, if you feel i have missed something out, or have any suggestions i would love to here them. I'm up for a challenge!
the project isn't part of my course but me, the engineering teacher and technician get on well, the technician is into all things vintage/old. i did get an A for another piece of course work though, i made a lathe counter shaft with motor clutch. 
Its good to hear somebody else has modded an A-series, they are great little lawn tractors (mine a soon-to-be garden tractor!) 
I welded up the front spindles today, first time welding, i think it went pretty well. after a quick grind and file I installed them putting plenty of grease on the hub spindle so the hubs will come off if i ever need them to. i love the new bigger wheel! :) 

here's some pictures, what do you reckon to my first welds? you can see i got some good heat in there:
11421638_1654063984827124_1010389349_n_z

ground back, then filed in the places i couldn't reach:
11427943_1654063971493792_812199363_n_zp

hubs installed:
11425313_1654063948160461_1053391712_n_z

looking very heavy duty:
11297760_1654063928160463_792866906_n_zp

from the front, plenty of ground clearance now:
11418256_1654063598160496_1985331119_n_z

heard back from the transmission company, i was quoted £500 for a 70nm angle drive!!!!!! I asked for anything cheaper and for the same specs i have got them down to just over £300. still pretty pricey, not sure what you guys make of this? they are good units, cast iron, oil filed helical cut gears, plenty HD enough. 
I might start work on an idler pulley, its a bit risky doing it before getting the angle drive but it will be out of the way i reckon. 

hope you enjoyed this update,
Callum :) 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Outstanding work and videos Callum. I just watched them. I love your thought process and this is one of the most interesting builds I've seen. Great job :handgestures-thumbupright:

callum12

thank you very much!
I have to try not to start rambling :)  but i think its nice that you can see me thinking about various solutions to problems rather than you seeing the end result working perfectly and not knowing how i got there. 

thanks again for the encouragement everyone! more updates to come soon,
callum

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower

looking good callum, looks real good for first time welding!:handgestures-thumbupright: i'll have to say my welding is worse and i've got quite some metal stuck together, but then again, a grinder and paint makes me the welder i aint:roll:

callum12

thanks, as long as the end result is good and the weld is strong, it doesn't matter what the actual weld looks like. :) 
for a comparison of before and after take a look at my old profile picture:

IMG_1493_zps1abb314c.jpg

Callum

Edited by callum12
  • Like 1

callum12

didn't get much done today, not much i can do until i get the 90 degree box.
I did make the adapter so i can use my Colwood mono tractor implements with my WH. i got these on the cheap but to be honest I'm not entirely sure what this implement does! i think it is for removing weeds from between rows of crops. thats what the seller said but he wasn't 100% on that either. I've got some other bits a pieces al well. 
the important thing about using Colwood bits on my WH is that i wouldn't have to modify the colwood implements in anyway which i have got away with. 

if some one could  post a picture of how the clevis hitch lift works that would be great, I've got to start making mine but i don't know how its done as standard.

image2-2_zpsv3txd3tz.jpg
i will be getting some bolts that are more suitable.

callum

• Like 1

callum12

gunna bit the bullet, £324 for my 90 degree gearbox!! 
its an oil filled, 50nm rated, 19mm keyed shaft heavy duty affair. I'm buying directly from the manufactures to save as much as i can, it's UK made too.
i thought i could hunt down an old one but i struggled to find one suitable, they all had gear reductions etc. 
at least i know it can handle anything i through at it and more! 
look out for the next video update :)
callum

bds1984

Ouch! That is expensive! Does it come with a high and low range?

meadowfield

Wow, I would have tried to make the twisted belt work first!

good luck....

callum12

i had a look for one with hi and lo range but you could add another £200, and the units were bigger, would be cool though! 

i tried for ages to get the twisted belt idea to work. the problem was that the vertical pulley would be too close to the horizontal pulley, this meant that the belt was climbing the wall of the pulley  and would simply slip or come off under load, even with a cogged v-belt. 

if you subtract the cost of the bearings, pulleys, taper locks, key shaft (would have to be custom made most probably) I've only spent £150 give or take extra. and i have a much more HD drivetrain.
I've got to wait 3 working weeks as they build to order, understandable considering the amount of options available when ordering.
callum