callum12

project Agri-800??

callum12

hi all,

i know the A-800 ranger is not a popular horsey, runt of the herd if you like!

but.. in a previous topic i asked about using my A-800 for some light ground engagement, the implements would be converted from pedestrian operated colwood mono tractor. it was suggested that the tranny wouldn't like that (as expected really). i did mention this project in the "what sort of ground engagement work could i do??" post but trying to keep posts on topic i thought id start a new one, also going into more detail about my big idea.

so, here's my pitch:

i'm thinking about turning my A-800 lawn tractor into the all new Agri-800 garden tractor! what does this mean you may be asking? well, i will be putting in a beefier tranny (i have one in mind), the popular front spindle to 4 lug hub mod, lifting clevis hitch, larger front and rear wheels, front weight block and many other little bits and bobs. 

so what do you think? I'm sure some of you will think it's not worth it but i like the A-800 rangers personally, they deserve a place in the WH community.

thanks for looking and ALL opinions gratefully received,

Callum

• Like 4

953 nut

Few, if any of us, could come up with a reasonable justification for owning numerous  :wh: and doing what we do with them; other than our personal desire to do so. Don't worry about what others will think, just do it and share your journey with us.

PS :wwp:  

• Like 1

callum12

don't you worry! there will be plenty of picture! might not happen for a while yet, just tossing ideas around at the mo. got to finish my colwood first.

anyone got any more mods to suggest? I'm already doing lights and a stack

callum

callum12

has anyone added a horn to their horse before? 

i might do that just for fun! would be useful around rallies too, some sort of vintage comedy horn.

KevinG

I'm thinking about putting an ooga horn on my suburban 400... just cause... why not? That or a dixie horn

callum12

that would be cool, there are also horns that work like an air raid siren, 

meadowfield

Go for it Callum

callum12

thanks meadowfield, I'm getting my lathe back tomorrow from its winter storage i might make a start on a few bits. just the larger wheel will improve the looks no end! 

callum12

Hi all,

well, The Agri-800 project is under way,

there is now a stack (have a look at my other post for that) and i now have proper C-series wheels fitted, I will get some box section to raise the height of the seat pan, this will give me clearance for the wheels, but already it looks soooo much better when compared with the golf kart wheels it have before!!

unfortunately i found some damage, this had been done a long time ago as the crack was all rusty so i know it wasn't me!! i am on the look out for another hub but to be honest it is only one stud and it still looks fine as the piece can be fitted and bolted on to the wheel.

heres some pictures for you all:

11132004_1624823704417819_723892845_n_zp

11124709_1624823634417826_774811539_n_zp

thank you all for looking and the next task is to get some new rear tyres as these ones are completely shot,

Callum

callum12

so today I looked at raising the seat pan, I found that i only needed to to raised a small amount and i didn't want to alter the riding position too much. I have actually moved the seat back a small amount and braced it. This was done using a bit of 8 X 30mm mild steel bar that runs under the seat pan, this helps to support the cracked mounting holes and raise the pan. It was really easy to do with only two holes being drilled. 

there isn't much clearance so I may still use a bit of box section as I don't want sticks and other debris getting caught up.

the cracked mounting hole can be seen vaguely here:

11075063_1625215711045285_465536015_n_zp

you can see what I did here, much stronger now:

11129979_1625215694378620_1742224151_n_z

and damn it! half way through writing this update I realise I haven't got a picture of the finished article!! tomorrow then. I haven't properly fitted it yet anyway, as it needs to be off of the next phase of project Agri-800. I have also taken that random tray thing off as well. 

thanks for looking, 

Callum

C-101plowerpower

looks a whole lot better with those C series wheels, i'm starting to like them like that

callum12

me too, with some larger wheels on front the tractor will look really good. I don't see why more people don't do it, I think its the B-111 that also has the same golf kart wheels. for the front I'm thinking 9"?

thanks for looking 

callum

callum12

UPDATE:

today I fitted the 50mm tow ball, I cut off the old hitch thing and drilled two 10mm holes to mount it. to get the hitch plate off i had to cut off two stripped coach bolts. they must have been over tightened at the factory or something as they had never been off (as far as I'm aware). 

the cut doesn't look straight here but it was corrected with a bit of filing:

11101777_1625215654378624_1902016145_n_z

the drilling was done with a 1940's union pillar drill:

11129741_1625215644378625_576202094_n_zp

and here is the mounted hitch: this will come in very handy I'm sure!

11104073_1625215667711956_751106854_n_zp

11129987_1625488287684694_89535134_n_zps

• Like 1

callum12

Finally finished wiring the lights today, the LEDs look really cool inside the lamps. only able to test them with a drill battery though :( 

since i now have the lights should i go for a proper car sized battery or stick this the motor bike size one?

callum12

Hi all,

quick update, lights wired (see other post for that) more pictures tomorrow.

just ordered some new rear tyres, agri pattern of course!

had to disguise the shop name, i don't think the mods would have liked that!

c8b349c2-b061-4814-9d4f-cfe9df98eec6_zps

thanks,

Callum

callum12

testing of my lights, very happy 

11094422_1626349484265241_2102535380_n_z

I've written more about them i a different post.

Callum

callum12

sorry for the delay, here are the tyres fitted. only £10 for the pair:

11208736_1639378726295650_2125934835_n_z

11212231_1639378732962316_304412075_n_zp

callum

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

a tenner for 2 tyres? where did you get those? looks good by the way

callum12

I meant that the tyres were fitted for a tenner, the actual tyres where £120 for the pair, they are made by duro and from fleabay.

meadowfield

Looks good, I have same tyres on bendy

callum12

thanks, I really like ol' bendy! amazing build.

the biggest modification that will really put the agri into agri-800 is in the planning!

Callum

callum12

right then!

I think it is time for the main lawn tractor to garden tractor mod, i think I've heard someone saying "turns a cob into a clydesdale" who ever said that credit to them! a great expression in the world of WH that really sums up my project. 

anyway, look at what I've got my self:

_57_zpsne8zseg2.jpg

_57-1_zpsymzwssz5.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-13%20at%2023.31.

i'm picking it up next sunday so in the mean time i will draw up some rough sketches, measure and refine my big ideas.

stay tuned 

callum

callum12

Just got a clevis hitch for when its complete, I got it for £65 not too bad really. i will deal with that once I've got everything else done. 
my new and improved design consists of three belts, I have one going from the motor through the clutch pulley and powers an idler pulley. this is a stacked pulley with one below that powers the countershaft, the twist in the belt will be here and finally a belt from the counter shaft to the tranny. But i was thinking maybe a chain between the counter shaft and tranny?? less chance of slipping then, what do you make of this?
here are the near final designs, it's not in scale or anything:
IMG_1565_zpsrtdnto6l.jpg

and this is the original set up, as you can see the stacked idler pulley will be where an existing pulley is:
IMG_1566_zpsdtkeck0b.jpg
hope you find this interesting and please let me know what you think,
callum

callum12

hi all,
while I'm getting my stuff together for the transaxle i am starting work on the front hub modification, the trip rib tyres came today they are size 4.00x8. 
11258560_1645828585650664_1574155957_n_z

11301356_1645827245650798_231421064_n_zp

I also wrapped the exhaust, I used fibreglass wrap so i was all itchy after! :)

11291760_1645827275650795_1088147506_n_z

thanks for looking,
callum

• Like 1

callum12

Hi,
the rims came along with the hubs, the hubs are really nice. i'm going to take them to the tyre place so they can get their air gun on the big nut that holds the hub to the stub axle. once that is off should the hub slide off the spindle with the bearings? i'll post some pictures when I've got a moment. i'm thinking of starting a youtube series following my build, would anyone be interested in that? I've got a 1080P camera :)  :)
thanks,
callum
(PS: could a moderator please change the title of this topic to just 'project agri-800' or 'agri-800 build'? i can't seem to do it from my computer. thank you very much :)