HorseHead1089

K161 and the mysterious red button

HorseHead1089

I havent got this motor to run yet. the carb bowl was stuck on and every thing looked like it was slathered in tar and muck. now i would like to inspect the ignition system. now there is a wire for the spark plug a wire to the key, and a wire going to this box and mysterious button. can someone provide some awnsers?post-13504-0-29261400-1425434914_thumb.j

cleat

I would thin this box is covering the points. As for the button, maybe another shutoff ?

Cleat

Live4outdoors

That mysterios box and button looks like your points cover for the ignition and the button is a kill switch that grounds out the ignition and shuts the motor off. If you haven't run motor in a long time or ever, will be worth fine sanding the points and possibly adjustment as well.

buckrancher

points cover kill button

Andrew58

It kills the engine.  I have one on my K161

post-14753-0-15269100-1425437990.jpg

• Like 1

tunahead72

HorseHead,

Do you have an owner's manual and/or service manual for that engine?  There's a world of information in those documents that will help you immensely.

Take a look in the Manuals section here on RedSquare, there's probably manuals there.  If not, get back to us, somebody should have a copy.  I have a K161 on my old TroyBilt tiller, the manuals for that machine are just incredible, I could scan a few pages if you need them.

Fordiesel69

That is the self destruct button.  When pressed it will give you a zap like you have never felt before, which make its owner locate the biggest sledge hammer, busting it into tiny peices. 

Kidding aside, tecumseh's can light you up!

• Like 1

buckrancher

That is the self destruct button.  When pressed it will give you a zap like you have never felt before, which make its owner locate the biggest sledge hammer, busting it into tiny peices. 

Kidding aside, tecumseh's can light you up!

I was not a wear you could feel 12 volts as there is no coil voltage at the points only battery

Brian

Fordiesel69

It was a failed attempt at humor.  :snooty:

Tecumseh engines at times would have a fold down bar that you would press against the spark plug lead to shut off.  I got lit several times.  I would say it was during the early 70's.

pfrederi

Back in the 40s and 50s most all small engines were killed by pressing a flexible metal tab against the spark plug and if you were sweaty you could feel it....

oaktown1987

Kills engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squonk

Tecky's don't need kill buttons!  :)  :)

• Like 1