jusgettingbuy

1967 Wheel Horse 1075 restored

jusgettingbuy

Here is the 1075 that went up for auction this past Saturday.  Trust me, the photos do not do it justice.  This was a total restoration and it looks beautiful.  Unfortunately I was NOT the high bidder.  I went to $875 and it sold for $900.  Had I not have 5 other tractors I would have bid higher.  I did talk to the new owner today on the phone and he told me he bought it to drive through the woods and let his grandchildren play with it.  :eek:   He mentioned one of the reasons he bought it was that it does not have a mower deck on it to get snagged on rocks...Gulp!  At that point I offered to trade him a Honda 3813 (water cooled, twin) with a plow and a front mount snow blower (rare)...He said he would get back to me.  The previous owner had passed but it saddens me at the thought of all his hard work going down the drain.  Surely he is the new owner and it's his to do with it as he chooses.  I was just going to pull a wagon with it during the 4th of July parade and keep it covered in the garage. 

post-12338-0-42386200-1425360760_thumb.j

post-12338-0-65672300-1425360779_thumb.j

post-12338-0-22982400-1425360790_thumb.j

• Like 5

mels

She is a sweetheart, for sure.  Boy, I hope the new owner was just pulling your leg.

Tankman

Nice Stallion! Fingers crossed, hope you can talk sense to the new abuser!  :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice looking tractor. Hope you can work something out with the fellow that bought it at the auction.

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh:  I had one like that.   CLICK ON PICK TO ENLARGE.     th_1075isDone002.jpg  As u can see it was nice But with my limited space and being an auto and only a show tractor It had to go. But they are a very nice tractor for the 1st year of the auto. I hope you can find a way to get this tractor and save it from being destroyed. Take care Gary     B.......

Edited by T1257

jusgettingbuy

The guy was nice but very serious about using it with the grandkids.  He said he has an old Cub Cadet that bent a valve so he needed a replacement. 

bmsgaffer

Yikes, I sure hope you can get that deal done!

baerpath

So replace the valve for him

• Like 1

jusgettingbuy

I wish it were that easy

RedRanger

Very nice tractor.

2 questions though.....

Is it common for the steering wheel to be clocked at 2 and 8 on these tractors?  I've got a 867 that does the same thing.  I've taken it apart and tried to reset the gear location under the dash and I've adjusted the tie rods as much as possible, nothing fixes it.  If I move the gear a tooth, it clocks at 4 and 10.  It does clock at 6 and 12 with the wheels straight, but that just looks goofy.  

Second, is there a correct direction to run turf tires?  I see some running one direction and some running the other.  Even on old stock photos from the 60's when these tractors were built.

JackC

It is a 1965 with automatic transmission.  1965 was the first year Wheel Horse introduces the automatic.   I believe the Wheel Horse decal on the hood should be at the back of the hood not the front.The seat is the correct design and colors.  If you like it, I would try to get my hands on it. 

jusgettingbuy

@redranger-  Not sure about the steering wheel position as I did not do this restoration and I have never had one of these models apart.  Pertaining to the turf tires, if you look at the tread design it will be the same on this model tire regardless of which way you mount it on the rim. Most turf tires are made that way.  If they were ag (bar) tread or R4 you want the bar angle or V-shape to point down so they bite into the ground better.

@JackC-  yes, I believe you are right.  Pretty sure it is a '65.  Not certain about the decal position, I will have to see if I have any literature on it.  It is a nice little tractor.  I wish the guy would have traded me for it.  Had I had more space it would be sitting in my garage right now!  It makes me sad to see someone use it off road after the previous owner put all that time into restoring her.  The pics really don't do it justice...cheap cell phone camera.

wfrpalm

That tractor looks like new, I would think it would sell for a lot higher price.

Jeff R.

The guy was nice but very serious about using it with the grandkids.  He said he has an old Cub Cadet that bent a valve so he needed a replacement.

Geez, why didn't he go to a box store and buy something new, pull the deck off of it and let the kids trash a MTD machine instead of a classic. I am thinking it would have been pretty close to what he paid for the Horse. Or he could have bought something off of CL for 300 and had the same result. I sure hope that you wind up with this tractor.

Racinbob

That's a beautiful tractor. I didn't catch that the hood decals were towards the front until it was mentioned but JackC is correct. They should be towards the rear. No biggie though. :)

953 nut

Hydraulic lift too, that is a rather nice set up. Hope you get it.  :text-coolphotos: 

Jrblanke

Wow, nice pictures! I had considered driving up from NC for that auction because it looked like a really nice unit! I'm pretty disappointed to hear about what it will be used for. I was really hoping it would go to a forum member. I hope you are able to talk him out of it one day.

can whlvr

it is a nice a little tractor,if it were me I too would take her off road and let the kids drive it,thats not gonna be hard on it,plowing deep snow,or cutting deep grass is a lot harder on it,but that's just my opinion,let the kids have great memories of driving a classic horse around

• Like 1

mels

Which auction was this?  

Ken B

it is a nice a little tractor,if it were me I too would take her off road and let the kids drive it,thats not gonna be hard on it,plowing deep snow,or cutting deep grass is a lot harder on it,but that's just my opinion,let the kids have great memories of driving a classic horse around

I thought I was the only one that was thinking this. The Grandfather wants only the best for his Grand kids, I can't blame him for not wanting a crappy box store tractor. I taught my son a long time ago that these tractors aren't toys but you can still have a ton of fun with them without beating the crap out of them. Who knows, maybe Gramps will teach his grand kids the same value's. Maybe the guy that restored it would love to see some kids having fun on his tractor. We bought this 854 off Buckrancher almost 3 yrs. ago at the Big Show.  Once in a while my son takes it in the woods where there are some trails near our house. In almost 3 yrs. of ownership Cole hasn't put one scratch on his tractor..My son is only 13 but he already has plans to one day pass the 854 down to his kids.

DSCN2378_zps50727003.jpg

• Like 3

Wheel Horse Collector

Nice I was 11 when I got my first tractor.

Jeff R.

I thought I was the only one that was thinking this. The Grandfather wants only the best for his Grand kids, I can't blame him for not wanting a crappy box store tractor. I taught my son a long time ago that these tractors aren't toys but you can still have a ton of fun with them without beating the crap out of them. Who knows, maybe Gramps will teach his grand kids the same value's. Maybe the guy that restored it would love to see some kids having fun on his tractor. We bought this 854 off Buckrancher almost 3 yrs. ago at the Big Show.  Once in a while my son takes it in the woods where there are some trails near our house. In almost 3 yrs. of ownership Cole hasn't put one scratch on his tractor..My son is only 13 but he already has plans to one day pass the 854 down to his kids.

DSCN2378_zps50727003.jpg

After reading this it really made me think about this a lot more. Lets just hope that the new owner shares the same passion with his new WH as Ken has done with his son. This is a real teachable moment, and if done properly it can make the next generation love these old machines as much as we do long after we are gone.

bmsgaffer

DSCN2378_zps50727003.jpg

Excellent perspective Ken. That would make a lot more sense as to why he just didnt go buy the first running craigslist tractor he could find.  I know I will be teaching my boys to respect the tractors and they will be used for riding around too (I just dont have any woods to even ride them in!)