Hendricksn

518 starting trouble need help

Hendricksn

So I have this 518-H and when you turn the key all I get is a clunk. So first thing I checked was the solenoid. And when I touch the 2 big posts with a screwdriver it starts. I have power coming into the solenoid when the key is in the start position. But it clicks but power does not cross over. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ed Kennell

So I understand, the ignition switch works and is sending 12v to the solenoid when in the start position. You hear the solenoid clunk in.

Problem is the solenoid is not making contact inside  to  send 12v to the starter.  

Replace the solenoid for about $10.   I have repaired some by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

Hendricksn

I was only wondering because I thought they either worked or they didn't. I didn't know there was an in between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Kennell

Yep, as your test with the screw driver showed, they can clunk in properly with the ignition switch, but they may not pass the necessary current to spin the starter.  This is usually due to corrosion or burning on the internal contacts.

Theroundhousernr

Just had a similar issue with my 416H this winter. Trigger wire to solenoid was showing 12 volts under no load. As soon as you would put a load on the wire (solenoid), I would get little no voltage. Turned out to be a fuse burnt one lug off in the holder. The resistance under load would cause the major voltage drop and not allow enough juice to the solenoid. I cleaned the fuse holder and put in a new fuse. Just a band aid to get me through till spring.

So just for kicks I would check the fuse and its connection. Sometimes its the little dumb stuff over looked that costs you. Could be a voltage loss at any connection between A and B of the starting circuit.

Good luck.

Edited by Theroundhousernr

scotty

My c125 solenoid was clicking when i hit the key and i tapped the starter with a hammer is started working again. I know thats not what your supposed to do but it worked for me