Old Ways

New Horse in the stable... Going to need some help here.

Old Ways

Well, a new Horse arrived in the stable today.  1961 551, and in really straight condition.  I believe it to be an early restoration.  

I need to collect some parts, namely the fuse-box cover, belt guard, and muffler shield.  

It came with a straight mowing deck, and what I was told is an original seat cover.  

First, some pics:

post-5149-0-19909700-1425254821_thumb.jp

post-5149-0-27736700-1425255178_thumb.jp

Mowing deck's tight, but I hope it will loosen up with fresh grease in the spring time.

post-5149-0-49975900-1425255433_thumb.jp

post-5149-0-16793200-1425255529_thumb.jp

Now, first thing is first... to get the electrical system buttoned up:

The tractor came with these parts:
I know where the points and condenser go...  but not the ignition brake?  

post-5149-0-34991700-1425255654_thumb.jp

And can someone tell me what type of fuses I need?  

post-5149-0-50703000-1425255779_thumb.jp

Next, why do the front rims only have one hole in them?  I'd like to mount front wheel weights if/when I can find them...  I assume I'll have to drill the other two holes.

post-5149-0-97051700-1425255929_thumb.jp

One the way here, is seems the trans froze up.  I'm guessing water in it.  Once it gets above freezing I'm going to drain the fluid.  If the trans doesn't look good, I may replace it with an 8-speed.

And I spent a little time cleaning up the hood once the ice melted off of it from the trip here...

post-5149-0-35904800-1425256004_thumb.jp

(Not too sure why this one uploaded upside-down, but okay...)

Well, goodbye GT-14 and welcome 551!  

post-5149-0-69340100-1425256668.jpg

Now to find a brother for it...  

Thanks!

Edited by Dane in PA
  • Like 4

oldredrider

You don't need fuses. They are diodes that go in the holders. And yes, they are directional.

Old Ways

You don't need fuses. They are diodes that go in the holders. And yes, they are directional.

Okay... Looks like I need to pick up some of these diodes.  

prondzy

very nice tractor you have there.

eastside0434

Pull the drain plug in the trans if it is froze with ice, box it in with some cardboard and put a small electric heater in there, it don't take much heat just some, trans will drain in 4-5 hrs, get that ice out , fill trans with kerosene and push it around if you don't hear any noises it it a good thing, if clean when drained refill with oil.

I just done on outside 3 days ago in 30 degree weather

AMC RULES

You have slots there for two diodes(rectifiers)...

and one AGC-6 fuse...once it thaws, do a diesel flush, and fluids change.

I doubt you'll find anthing wrong with that trans, was working fine in the "WH great" room.   :thumbs: 

Congrats, nice new :wh: score there.  

post-3498-0-43000800-1425259420_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-77227900-1425259432_thumb.jp

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a very nice horse Dane! And as far as your question on the rims go, in 61 and 62 the front rims only had the one hole in them, I think you can probably mount weights with one hole, but I don't think back then they worried about weights as they filled the rims with fluid.

Old Ways

Thanks guys --going to do a diesel flush as soon as it warms up.  Too cold for me.  Everything is frozen solid, and this tractor needs time to thaw and dry.  It's rather cold and damp to work on at the moment.  Until then, I'll work on cleaning up other things, doing research, and cleaning up that beautiful seat-cover.

• Like 1

formariz

Nice tractor. One of my favorites. Get familiar with that rectifier I have additional literature if you need it. If you have trouble finding diodes send me a PM. I'll send you a couple for free. Have lots of them.

Old Ways

Looks like I'm going to be fairly financially involved in getting this tractor running and looking good again. Parts are pricy.

I'm guessing eBay is going to be the easiest way to find one of the fuse-box covers?

formariz

Someone here in vendor section makes that fuse cover. Here is some information to help you with electrical system. I will send you hard copies with diodes.

post-484-0-07970800-1425276196_thumb.jpg

post-484-0-88749200-1425276209_thumb.jpg

post-484-0-58381100-1425276223_thumb.jpg

post-484-0-20412900-1425276285.jpg

post-484-0-23605400-1425276294_thumb.jpg

post-484-0-24372400-1425276182_thumb.jpg

Edited by formariz

eastside0434

Try posting a wanted ad within 1-200 miles of your home on a couple of cities craigslists, you might find another horseman locally or maybe they will ship you the part.

I live where there are 6-7 areas I can post an ad.

Good luck

Jake Kuhn

Glen petitt has the fuse panel covers available. 

• Like 2

Old Ways

Not much to update on, but the seat over is already looking better!

Before:

post-5149-0-41966600-1425346642_thumb.jp

During:

post-5149-0-07174600-1425346605_thumb.jp

After:

post-5149-0-71266500-1425346626_thumb.jp

squonk

Those eraser pads work wonders!  :thumbs:

eastside0434

GET THE ICE OUT OF THE TRANS IF IT IS FROZE, ASAP,EASY TO DO EVEN IN COLD WEATHER 

Old Ways

GET THE ICE OUT OF THE TRANS IF IT IS FROZE, ASAP,EASY TO DO EVEN IN COLD WEATHER 

There is nothing I can do but wait.  The drain plug is out of it with a container under it.  It's been like that for a day and nearly nothing has come out.  Starting to think it doesn't have any fluid in it.

Theroundhousernr

Great horse! I would love to find a 551. But wait, I thought that was in Craigs mirror? :eusa-think: ........ :techie-eureka:  Hmmmm, If you starting a wheel horse hauling service, I may have to stretch my search boundaries Mr. AMC :ychain:

squonk

Craig's currently collecting RJ's. They fit rather nicely into the "Magic Shed"!  :)  :thumbs:

Edited by squonk

Old Ways

I wish these tractors were more plentiful in my area. Hahaha.

Did a little more cleaning on the seat, and just loosely mounted the deck to see how it fit --out of curiosity.  Looks really good, and especially when some of the oil gets into whats left of the paint --giving it back it's shine.

(This whole tractor is going to need a good pressure-washing and gone over with a wire brush to get the paint flakes and gunk off --and possibly rewired)

post-5149-0-82834000-1425430064_thumb.jp

The seat cover came out really well.  Just couldn't get the rust stains out --and some of the discoloration off of the lip that goes around the metal seat-pan.

post-5149-0-20097400-1425430094_thumb.jp

Next is the deck...  after inspection, it's really tight --might be shot, but I'll clean it up in the spring and see what I can do.  Some rust holes, but what can be expected of a machine of this age?

Now, the first dilemma is... how are the foot rests supposed to be positioned as to allow the gearboxes to clear?  Otherwise I get 1/2" of lift...

Down

post-5149-0-81827600-1425430222_thumb.jp

Up

post-5149-0-62218500-1425430442_thumb.jp

Edited by Dane in PA

eastside0434

IS THE TRACTOR IN A HEATED AREA ?, IF SO IT SHOULD THAW QUICKLY, IF NOT BOX IT WITH SOME CARDBOARD AND PUT A SMALL HEATER AROUND IT, DOES NOT NEED TO BE TURNED UP BLASTING HEAT, JUST A LITTLE BIT OF HEAT IS GOOD, IF THERE IS NOTHING COMING OUT AT ALL AFTER THAT YOU CAN PUT BACK PLUG AND FILL IT UP WITH KEROSENE OR DIESEL FUEL AND LET IT SOAK FOR A WHILE AND TRY SHIFTING GEARS OR ROLLING IT SLOWLY SO KEROSENE/DIESEL DOES IT'S JOB. THEN FLUSH IT OUT AS MANY TIMES AS NEEDED TO TRY AND CLEAN OUT GUNK OR RUST. I JUST THAWED A TRANS THAT WAY OFF OF A 856, IT WORKED OUT GREAT, I STILL HAVE IT SOAKING IN KEROSENE AND WILL FLUSH AND FILL WITH OIL NEXT COUPLE DAYS AFTER WEATHER GETS A LITTLE BETTER, TO MUCH RAIN RIGHT NOW..

Old Ways

IS THE TRACTOR IN A HEATED AREA ?, IF SO IT SHOULD THAW QUICKLY, IF NOT BOX IT WITH SOME CARDBOARD AND PUT A SMALL HEATER AROUND IT, DOES NOT NEED TO BE TURNED UP BLASTING HEAT, JUST A LITTLE BIT OF HEAT IS GOOD, IF THERE IS NOTHING COMING OUT AT ALL AFTER THAT YOU CAN PUT BACK PLUG AND FILL IT UP WITH KEROSENE OR DIESEL FUEL AND LET IT SOAK FOR A WHILE AND TRY SHIFTING GEARS OR ROLLING IT SLOWLY SO KEROSENE/DIESEL DOES IT'S JOB. THEN FLUSH IT OUT AS MANY TIMES AS NEEDED TO TRY AND CLEAN OUT GUNK OR RUST. I JUST THAWED A TRANS THAT WAY OFF OF A 856, IT WORKED OUT GREAT, I STILL HAVE IT SOAKING IN KEROSENE AND WILL FLUSH AND FILL WITH OIL NEXT COUPLE DAYS AFTER WEATHER GETS A LITTLE BETTER, TO MUCH RAIN RIGHT NOW..

I don't have a spare heater at the moment, so that's a no-go. As I said, I have to wait until it warms up a bit. I know how ice/cold transmission lube gets. Hahah.

I just have to be patient. It isn't going to harm it further being in there another couple days/weeks.

Caps-lock, though...

Hodge71

You have slots there for two diodes(rectifiers)...

and one AGC-6 fuse...once it thaws, do a diesel flush, and fluids change.

I doubt you'll find anthing wrong with that trans, was working fine in the "WH great" room.   :thumbs: 

Congrats, nice new :wh: score there.  

Craig knows because he set foot where others dream to...."The Wheel Horse Great Room"...