fireman

New to me super clean 1992 John Deere 318

fireman

Well I finally was able to find a 318. Been looking for a while but the prices for nice shape ones were through the roof. The tractor has just over 900 hours on it and never had a mower deck installed. Only used with a plow blade. The tractor is super clean. There is no grease or grime anywhere. It runs like new and doesn't leak a drop. The frame and and associated parts are still nice and black. All the bolts and various linkage are shinny zinc chromate. It is in unbelievable shape.

Now for the weird thing. The original owner painted the tins with a brush the wrong color green. There was no rust or body damage and neither I or my friend I got it from can figure why the previous owner did this. He wasn't home when my friend picked it up and the guys wife had no idea about it. My friend has already removed the tins and stripped off all the brush paint. All I have to do is give them a final sanding and prime and paint then re-install. When my friend got it, it only had the mount and hydraulic pistons but was missing the blade itself. He modified a Wheel Horse blade he had to fit. The seat has a few splits so i'll get a replacement. This is probably one of the cleanest 318 I have seen for sale and I paid about a third of what they are going for nowadays so I couldn't be happier. I picked up the tins today. I'll have to wait a while till the snow melts down a little till I pick up the tractor. My yard still has about 3' of snow on it and I have to jockey a few things around till I can get it into the work shop. That will give me some time to finish prepping the tins.

post-1626-0-02027000-1425242331_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-98402000-1425242337_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-13304900-1425242347_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-22098900-1425242353_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-50623000-1425242360_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-23311700-1425242368_thumb.jp

post-1626-0-65146400-1425242374_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Riley088

Looking good Jeff. If necessary to make room to fit I know of a place for that 160.

Martin

Looks like a nice original, Jeff.

Should look real nice once you get the tins all done. I like the way the hydraulics are for the blades on the Deeres. 

I have a 314 with the front hydraulics that I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to keep or not.

stevebo

and to think I had something to do with this.... I figured you would want that one... Nice pick up Jeff. I saw it the other day and while you know how I feel about the green tractors it was very clean.

slammer302

The 318 is a good machine my dad bought one from a church for 900$ he didn't keep it very long maybe 3 months he liked his wheel horses better but my uncle has been using it for 7 years and loves it

fireman

This is going to replace my 317 which doesn't have power steering, but does have a Kohler in it. I'm generally not a big fan of Onan engines but this one does run excellent and cooling isn't going to be a problem. This was never used to mow so grass clippings never had a chance to block up the engine screen. We started it yesterday and it cranked over within a few seconds. It hadn't been run since the fall. It's still a mystery about the paint on the tins. If it was left outside and the paint was faded, I would think rain would have rusted everything up. There really is no rust anywhere to be seen. Why someone would paint the tractor Forest Green with a brush is beyond me!

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

stevebo

Well ..... he was the owner of a John Deere :hide:  That could explain a few things.. :ychain:

fireman

Well I like the old adages "variety is the spice of life" and "don't put all your eggs in one basket"! 

My father drilled this into me while growing up. Probably why I turned out like I did.

Rules to live by!

• Like 1

Sparky

That fully hydraulic blade has me all jealous! Been yankin on the manual lift and angle lever so much on my Wheel Horse these last few weeks that I would consider a "greenie" just for the ease of use!!

Nice find Jeff.

Mike.............

• Like 1

fireman

Yeah Mike once you get your hands on that 4 way hydraulic blade there's no looking back. That's probably the biggest thing I think the Ponds and Toro missed the boat on is not having live hydraulics with external ports. Plus the JD blade is way heavier and beefier then the WH. Not to mention  real full hydraulic down pressure. I can plow with the front wheels 3 inches off the ground.

• Like 1

Ken B

I think I saw that on C/L Jeff. Looked REAL clean for short money... They are real beefy and some claim the 318 to be the best garden tractor ever built, I've heard that from a lot of guys, and not just green guys either. I agree, it would have been nice to have the same type hydraulic setup on a 520 if the original purchaser could have chosen that option.. Any idea what a rig like that went for when new? What do they weigh in at?

fireman

The base weight of the tractor alone is 836 lbs. The only MSRP I could find was for a 1983 and that was $4999.99 just for the tractor alone with no accessories or attachments. I would imagine by 1992 it was higher then that.

T-Mo

MSRP in 1992 for a 318, minus deck was $6479.  Specs on a 318 is P218 18 hp Onan twin cylinder engine, hydrostatic transmission, turning brakes, power steering, dual hydraulic spools with two front hydraulic outlets, optional category 0 3 point hitch.  I had a 1988 318, but I have a 1988 430 now, which probably trumps a 318.

post-30-0-67068200-1425468908_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

fireman

No doubt the 430 trumps the 318. Would love to get my hands on one but if used ones even in bad shape command huge dollars! Far more then the 318.

fireman

Yard and workshop are being cleared/cleaned out today so hopefully tomorrow I can go and pick up the tractor and get her home  :woohoo:

fireman

Finally got around to sanding, priming and then wet sanding the tins last weekend. So this morning it was off to Stevebo's house to shoot some green paint (He wasn't to thrilled about running green paint through his gun). We got it all done and now it's all sitting in the "Wheel Horse" barn overnight to cure. He didn't want any pictures of it happening and I obliged him and didn't take any. Well low and behold I got home and my son who had come with me said "look at the picture I took of Steve painting the John Deere parts". 

So here's the proof:

post-1626-0-52490400-1429401144_thumb.jp

• Like 4

stevebo

That is not me :hide:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:  I knew it. 

squonk

Even the fan looks green!  :angry-tappingfoot:  :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:  :angry-tappingfoot:

Wheel-N-It

A very good friend of mine has a nearly new looking 318 complete with a FEL sitting in his garage. I sure hope he never sels it because that means I will have to buy it!

• Like 1

fireman

If he does sell it, jump on it. Probably one of the best garden tractors ever made!

• Like 2

fireman

Still haven't put the tins on yet. Have to wet sand them and see how they come. In the mean while I was able to pick up an original JD three point hitch for it. Took awhile to find one as they sell for huge money. I was able to pick this one up for a great price and it's in great shape. I'm going to add the rear hydraulic connection setup for future rear attachments. 

DSCN0834.thumb.JPG.419eac8c80d49623a705e

• Like 1

T-Mo

You could have bought a new Ruegg 3 point hitch, which is built the same as the original John Deere OEM one.

http://www.rueggmfg.com/hitchkits.php

fireman

I paid less then what they cost and this ones in perfect shape. 

T-Mo

Most of the OEM ones go for at least the price of the Ruegg, which most who bought the Ruegg claimed they're better than the OEM hitch.  If you got an OEM one for less, you did good.