HunterC6Vette

Just joined - From Syracuse NY

HunterC6Vette

Hey all.

Just joined.  I have a 312-8 (91) Kohler engine.   I also just purchased a 417 Hydro that I think is an 85.  I picked it up a little over a week ago.  I had originally started looking for a blower unit for the 312 but ran across the 417 and 2 stage WH blower for $850...talked the guy down to $700.  Looks like it needed a starter however so its sitting at the WH repair shop down the road getting the starter rebuilt and having all the general maintenance done. 

I actually work for Sherwin Williams with the OEM division of the company and sell paint in both liquid and powder.  If anyone has questions about painting, please ask!

post-14759-0-61364100-1425158360_thumb.jpost-14759-0-28427400-1425158378.jpg

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:WRS:  Hunter.    :text-coolphotos:   Great family shot....are the boys twins?

Sparky

:WRS:

Mike......

Digger 66

Welcome from a little south of Buffalo .

varosd

:text-welcomeconfetti:

any secret WH paint codes? :rolleyes:

Digger 66

If anyone has questions about painting, please ask!

I'll throw my hat in the ring .

Is there a paint that will actually adhere to ( correctly prepped ) HDPE ? 

AMC RULES

From a little north of NYC. 

KC9KAS

Hey, maybe you can have SW make some "genuine" WH paint!!!

squonk

Welcome from 30 mi west!

HunterC6Vette

hey guys.  

Yes the kids are Twins.   The dog is a boxer...@95lbs.   His name is Guinness.

Ok so when it comes to the paint codes.   We dont have any secret codes.  I'm not sure but most of the OEMs have gone to powder coating over the past 10-15 years due largely to VOC regulations and transfer efficiency/cost reasons.   Liquid coatings that folks in the field would use are hard to get from the standpoint of VOC regulations (depending on the state).   Simple enamel products that would work well out of a gravity fed HVLP spray gun are simply too high VOC and its frowned on to sell without a spray booth.  The best product that you could probably use from any SW store now is a product called "Sher Kem" .. Its basically a simple 1k product with a high gloss finish and fast drying properties.  You can catalyze it to get better performance properties out of it you want.  Any store should be able to get it...they may not have it on the shelf the day you walk in but if you give them a few days they can get it.  I would think that the majority of the WH colors being a shade of red, they could take the International Red and "tweak" it ... being a factory red, you'll get better coverage even after  its reduced.   The Ultradeep base is the other way they may need to go (basically clear and they would dump red colorant into it).  I'd say cut it 20% with Xylene and spray using a 1.4 needle setup.   Should be pretty smooth.

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&lang=E&doctype=PDS&prodno=F75CC2

They'll need something to match...something that isnt faded larger than a quarter.   Once they get the match the code can be shared on here and anyone can use the code from that point on.   Initial matches are the hardest...then its just a matter of tossing the formula into the computer and having it spit out the colorants.   

HDPE is a ROUGH one.... Typically I would recommend a wipe down with Isopro Alcohol to remove any debris/dirt/grease etc.   After that i would say use an adhesion promoter.   UPO7229 is my standard "go to" for really tough plastics.  The really hard part with plastics is that they can change from lot to lot of the plastics being used and the surface tension is the key to getting adhesion.   

Here's a link to the UPO 7229....

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SHW0/UPO7229QT/N1967.oap?ck=Search_N1967_-1_-1&pt=N1967&ppt=C0171

• Like 4

chazm

:text-datsphatyo: :wh:   Colors has always been a HOT topic around here... :deadhorse:

But its nice to have another paint expert in the house . :handgestures-thumbupright:  Thanks for the info &

WELCOME TO :rs:

• Like 1

buckrancher

Welcome from 50 miles south

Brian

squonk

A NY Meet and Greet!!! Those CT. boys aint got nuthin on us!  :snooty:  :snooty: OOPS! Did I just say that!........ :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

953 nut

:WRS:     I grew up in Kirkville NY, just east of Syracuse. Moved south 50 years ago for a variety of reasons but come up from time to time to visit family and friends. Thanks for the paint info, lots of questions come up about finishes on here.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 1

JC 1965

Hello and  :WRS:

Cutlas3391

I'll have to get 2 other members from the Buffalo area for this meet and greet lol

• Like 1

zach l

I'm 50 miles south west of syracuse

Digger 66

I'll have to get 2 other members from the Buffalo area for this meet and greet lol

Where & when is this ^ ? 

Sorry for the hi-jack.

can whlvr

mels

Welcome!  Nice intro, great pics.  Congratulations on your find, bet that blower'll see some good use up there!

Please send Dinosaur BBQ wings care package to Wifey and me in Brookfield CT...   :)   

• Like 1

squonk

Dino wings are good but over rated. Coles in Buffalo are the best followed by Duff's and the Anchor Bar! Best Ribs- Kentucky Greg's and Fat Bob's! 497109581avatar_zpsa73a3ff9.gif

Edited by squonk

Amanda

Welcome to RS!!

Kelsey

Nice photo of the family with your tractor. Hold on to every one of those days with your sons because they grow up so fast.
I'm sure a lot of other fathers can say the same thing with a little of happiness and sadness in their voice.
As you already know, Syracuse gets its share of snow along with lake effect snow during those upstate NY winters. Your WH
and snow blower will come in handy.

Navig8r

Welcome!