Kev

hydraulic lift

Kev

Does anybody know if you can install a 520-H hydraulic lift system on a 516-H tractor?

bmsgaffer

Sort of.

You will need to replace the whole pump and transmission then add all the components from the lift system.

If there's a bad motor in the 520, it would be easier to swap the motor from the 516...

Edited by bmsgaffer

Kev

The 516 is a hydro, you still need to swap the whole pump and trans? I was hoping to just add the valve and cylinder and use the existing pump beings there is nothing wrong with it. 

bmsgaffer

The 516 and 518's are Eaton 700 hydros. No one really knows why Wheel Horse used them in the 500 series, but the 700's are a significant bit weaker than the eaton 1100 (which is what is found in the 520s and most 400 series and blackhood hydros) and do not support hydraulic lift.

The 700's were not really designed for ground engaging use (turn plows, cultivators, tillers etc) and should only see limited use snow plowing. They are best at just mowing.

Edited by bmsgaffer

shallowwatersailor

There is more to the Eaton 700 vs. Eaton 1100 history than just the transmissions. Wheel Horse also installed a 4-Pinion transaxle with 1" axles with the Eaton 700. For the Eaton 1100, Wheel Horse used the 8-Pinion transaxle with 1-1/8" axles. It is the transaxle that shares the limiting factor. Wheel Horse was establishing a price point as some owners did not need a full ground-engaging tractor. The 700 could do limited ground engaging though, including tilling and snowblowing. I have a 1986 Wheel Horse 312A with over 1100 hours that has been used for more than just cutting grass!

The advantage to the 1100 is that it also provides an auxiliary circuit for a lift. But - the Eaton 700 is still a stronger transmission than what goes into the riding lawn mowers that are manufactured today.

For more discussion see: 

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

bmsgaffer

Thanks for the clarification. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Theroundhousernr

There is more to the Eaton 700 vs. Eaton 1100 history than just the transmissions. Wheel Horse also installed a 4-Pinion transaxle with 1" axles with the Eaton 700. For the Eaton 1100, Wheel Horse used the 8-Pinion transaxle with 1-1/8" axles. It is the transaxle that shares the limiting factor. Wheel Horse was establishing a price point as some owners did not need a full ground-engaging tractor. The 700 could do limited ground engaging though, including tilling and snowblowing. I have a 1986 Wheel Horse 312A with over 1100 hours that has been used for more than just cutting grass!

The advantage to the 1100 is that it also provides an auxiliary circuit for a lift. But - the Eaton 700 is still a stronger transmission than what goes into the riding lawn mowers that are manufactured today.

For more discussion see: 

I just got done looking through some manuals and in the transmission section for the 500 series. It shows the complete 516H transmission under one part number. The complete 518H and 520H under another part number and the 520HC under another part number. I am only reffering to the rear NOT the pump.  The only difference is the 4 pinion rear in the 516H model and the higher gearing in the 520HC. The 518H and 520H appear to be the same rears. All have 1 1/8" axles though it appears. All other info given is correct and no an eaton 700 will not support hydraulics.

I have a rear from a 518H stored away for spare hubs, axles and bearing etc...  It pays to have parts laying around!

Kyle

I did no homework for the 312A. I am interested to see if they really went out of there way to make that auto only 1 inch axles. They sure did some funny stuff towards the end.

Edited by Theroundhousernr

Theroundhousernr

Just got done checking and the axle numbers show the same for 300, 400, and 500 series on all automatics 700 or 1100.

Edited by Theroundhousernr