Pollack Pete

PTO Safety Switch

Pollack Pete

Even though theres about 4 feet of snow on the ground here,I started working on my 312-8 to use for lawn duty.Just wondering if theres an adjustment on the PTO safety switch.I have to push the PTO lever forward about an inch before it will start.Or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new switch.Just wondering before I tear it apart.Thanks for any and all info.

cleat

If you can push the PTO lever forward it sounds like the spring that should make it go all the way forward is not doing it's job.

Make sure the PTO lever actually comes to rest in it's full forward position before messing with the switch.

Cleat 

• Like 1

doc724

Pete, I think that behavior is normal and the switch is ok.  There is a cam on the shaft that moves when you push the PTO lever forward.  The cam has to rotate enough to move the switch actuator.  WH used at lest two different types of PTO safety switches but every switch has some free play (where the button or actuator moves) but the electrical circuit is not made (or broken).  This free play is designed in by the switch manufacturer to keep the switch from dithering (cycling between on and off) which wil   cause the switch to fail prematurely and will also be a PITA to the operator

jackhammer

As others have suggested , my trouble had to push the arm forward also, mine was sloppy. Removed the battery and on the inside end of the pto arm there was enough play next to the small cotter pin to shim out with a washer, or two.

That pulled the arm in tight and made contact with the pto switch fingers, if I remember right I also gently bent( with 2 needle nose pliers ) one of them fingers to make a better contact with the cam doc754 talked about.

Rick