formariz

Too many distractions

formariz

So here I am in the hospital emergency room waiting to be seen since I sliced my left thumb on table saw about an hour ago. Been a woodworker all my life and never got hurt. Always carefull having full knowledge of everything I do and knowing all the consequences of doing the wrong thing.

This morning machining multiple parts for a job, I was being bombarded with interruptions from texts, call, and emails from clients . Trying to keep everyone happy I kept stopping and answering them, returning then to work . Sure enough my attention was not as sharp anymore and I moved my left hand thumb right onto the blade .

Besides my thumb( all still there but mangled up) the other casualty is really my ego since I am feeling pretty stupid.

So lesson learned is keep cell phone far away from you when operating machinery . After all I worked most of my life without it and did ok.

It did come in handy here at the hospital while waiting so I could vent and luckily still have a good right thumb and hand to hold phone and type.

JC 1965

Wow!!      :scared-eek:    Sure hope it's not too serious and a few stitches will take care of it.    

formariz

They gave three injections on it to numb it which actually hurt more than the injury. Off to x rays now.

Ed Kennell

Oops,  It only takes a split second.   Have you seen the instant saw brake.  It was on here some time back.  Didn't even break the skin on a hot dog that was fed into the blade.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.    It is amazing what modern medicine/surgery can do.

JimD

I hope you heal fast with little pain. We all make mistakes in judgement from time to time. Don't beat yourself up. Be glad it's still there and climb back in the saddle with renewed respect and focus. :)

• Like 1

formariz

No saw break. Mine is same vintage as RJ 58.

Three injections to numb it one tetanus shot . These people keep hurting me! ¥^%><}>€

AMC RULES

God speed on your recovery. 

groundhog47

Back in my Newspaper Production Days (stereotype) someone would cut a finger or hand ever week, I only cut mine three times (same three fingers twice,)(almost still remember burn of lidocaine) from the sharp edges of the 37 lb print plates (and :oops: yes inattention was the culprit), nipped a finger nail on band saw. Right after I left an experienced long timer cut three fingers off and a type setter mangled his hand messing in our area cause he didn't want to wait on one of us. I was lucky that all healed well and quickly as I hope yours does without any nerve complications.  

Digger 66

These people keep hurting me! Â¥^%><}>€

That's what they do  :eusa-think: . ^

Hurt my back last Friday  morning & figured it would go away as it had in the past . 

N O    D I C E ! 

Good news ? X-Ray's showed no abnormalities in spinal column  .

Bad news ?

(1) Torn muscle at left lower lumbar . sad.png

(2) Can't ride Sled  hairout.gif

KC9KAS

formaiz, I hope you mend well.

I cut a finger with a chain saw about 35 years ago, and it never dulled a single tooth on that chain!!

I know what you are saying...The injection to numb the finger hurt more that the cut!

Sparky

So lesson learned is keep cell phone far away from you when operating machinery . After all I worked most of my life without it and did ok.

I'm old enough to remember working before cell phones were in everyones pocket or glued to their ears....seemed to get more done in a day without it (and the wife couldn't bother me!!).

Hope ya heal up fast!

Mike........

• Like 2

oldredrider

On the up side, you type really well with just one thumb!

• Like 2

formariz

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and for allowing me the opportunity to vent while going through this today. Just got home from hospital . Could have been much worse. Five stitches and it did fracture the tip of the bone. The other casualty is of course my pride a little bit.

Being a little more composed now and looking back at the sequence of events it is actually a miracle that something worse did not happen since before the accident I now realize I was already doing so many careless and stupid things. What I was doing was just as bad as answering the phone while driving. Every time I went back to the tablesaw after dealing with the calls my mind was still really with the phone.

On a lighter note while I was there all kinds of stuff was running through my mind. One was how lucky I was for having the Electro 12 now with my left thumb out of commission. I can still plow since I don't need to press the button on the lever to raise or lower the plow.

KC9KAS

On a lighter note while I was there all kinds of stuff was running through my mind. One was how lucky I was for having the Electro 12 now with my left thumb out of commission. I can still plow since I don't need to press the button on the lever to raise or lower the plow.

Glad you are looking on the bright side of things!!

stevasaurus

Cas, it was a pleasure typing back and forth with you yesterday, while you were waiting.  Sounds like you will be OK...hope you have some good drugs for when those shots wear off.  :)

Ken B

Hope ya heal up soon Cas! (and take it easy)

formariz

So finally today I mustered enough courage to take a good look at it ( yes, I am a bit of a sissy when looking at my injuries) . I was very lucky, small fracture on bone tip, 5 stitches, and nail is relatively intact.

Big lesson learned. These damn smart cell phones have basically taken over our lives and are the cause of this kind of stuff.  The actual way this happen was reaching over and past the blade. A classic NO NO in tablesaw operation. I actually don't even remember ever doing that before in about 40 years of using a tablesaw nearly everyday. Phone had my mind really screwed up.

post-484-0-13904300-1425260276.jpg

jackhammer

heal fast formariz , keep it clean

Rick