slantram

Really CLEANING a carb.

slantram

I've read of many ways to clean a carb. Here's what I do and it works very well 99.9% of the time. Disassemble completely-place in an empty coffee can-pour in enough Strypeeze Paint and VARNISH remover to cover the carb and let it soak for a couple of hours or overnight. Remove and rinse with HOT water then spray with carb cleaner in all the small orifices and blow off with compressed air. Even if this is one of those carbs that is green and stinks to high heaven it will come out looking BRAND NEW.   slantram

• Like 3

Fordiesel69

Looking a the MSDS it looks like that solvent would work well, as long as it is not the gel........

I use an acetone, Methyle Ethyle Keytone, & laquer thinner overnight in an ultrasonic vibrator (the cheap ones from harbor freight), then rinse in krud kutter & hot water.  Then switch over to a hydocloric acid and warm water until it starts to slightly darken the aluminum.  The reason for this is I want all orgainic stuff tucked inside all the passages to be eaten alive.  You need an acid to do this. 

• Like 2

boovuc

Some paint and varnish removers contain bases that quickly attack and dissolve aluminum. (OUTSIDE.....put aluminum in a plastic container of Drano or caustic solution and stand back). Don't breath the fumes either!

Any Ammonium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide or drain cleaner, (sodium hydroxide), will destroy an aluminum carburetor along with any base pH solutions that I see in varnish removers.

Your Strypeeze Paint & Varnish remover doesn't contain any bases BUT it does contain 25% to 30% dichloromethane. Dichloromethane will react with aluminum at pure strengths and less so diluted but it will attack it to some point. The other solvents in it include toluene, acetone and some methyl alcohol which are fine.

I don't know about the acid dip long enough to change color either. Even a weak muratic acid will pit the hell out of aluminum.  :eusa-think:

Point is to be careful with what you clean these old carbs with. My NAPA one gallon paint can of carb cleaner works well for me and it states it is for all metals.

• Like 2

slantram

I've heard some folks use full strength lemon juice and have good results.

Hodge71

I use a can of Berryman Chem Dip. Its specifically made for carburetors and even comes with a tray to put it all in and dunk it. It doesnt hurt anything and Ive never had a carb it couldnt clean to brand new. Why would you use something that wasn't meant to clean correctly for what you have? Thats like saying its good to use 60 grit sandpaper to clean bugs off your cars paint or windshield....sure it works but its not the proper method

• Like 4

slantram

It works for me. What more can I say.

Coadster32

I use the heads off of my still as carb cleaner, (spirit distillation). Works very well.

• Like 1

wallfish

I use the heads off of my still as carb cleaner, (spirit distillation). Works very well.

Just called the ATF to try and confirm the Milford CT carb cleaning methods! :ychain:

That's a good idea!

• Like 1

Coadster32

:hide:

JackC

I use rattle snake urine when I have it.  Works great.  I use carburetor cleaner from Advance Auto when I run out of the good stuff.