King Horse

1045 tire removal

King Horse

83bb61a1b528ffd41e9a03f9e3864c51.jpg

I think a double posted. Will I tear these up popping them loose from bead seat?

• Like 2

953 nut

As long as the tire is in good condition you should be able to break the bead without damage. I use a large vice to break the bead, several turns may be needed and if it won't come all the way an overnight soak with a bit of windex seems to help.

slammer302

You might put sum tire conditioner or armour all on it first to soften the rubber up

King Horse

Roger Victor. Thanks for reply.

boovuc

When I moved front tires around last winter, the biggest thing that helped were:

Soap and lots of it.

Heat!!!! I put the rims/tires down by my coal burner overnight and worked on each one in the garage as the others stayed inside.

(The 12" rims were the easy ones. 3 bucks each to break the bead and mount new tires with a new valve stem at my friendly neighborhood mechanic's garage.)   :)

Pollack Pete

I use one of those min- tire changers from Harbor Freight.Plus I spray the tire beads with Pledge furniture polish or spray silicone.Still a tough job.Especially the 6 and 8 inch front tires.I'd rather change a big rear farm tractor tire instead of those little ones.

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

Got a good friend that uses pledge FP on all his tractors

All over the whole thing.

Many of you know Terry Yenko

Terry is the best. '!!!!!!!!!

Racinbob

I use one of those min- tire changers from Harbor Freight.Plus I spray the tire beads with Pledge furniture polish or spray silicone.Still a tough job.Especially the 6 and 8 inch front tires.I'd rather change a big rear farm tractor tire instead of those little ones.

:text-yeahthat: After years of fighting tires I finally got tires of fighting them and bought one of those. There's another thread about them somewhere. Just about the best $35 I've spent. :)

• Like 1

Hammerhead

Lets hope you can save these front tires, they are perhaps one of the rarest tires that Wheel Horse ever used on a tractor! Only used on the 1045. I did see a pair on a GT14 tractor, on a factory manual, but have never seen a GT14 with them on it in person. Good luck with them.

Wheel Horse Collector

When I take the tires off mine, I use soap and then pry them off with tire tools.

Tankman

Soapy water and tire tools.

Of course the smaller fronts are a pain but not a chore done often, thank goodness!   :bow-blue:

clip

Lets hope you can save these front tires, they are perhaps one of the rarest tires that Wheel Horse ever used on a tractor! Only used on the 1045. I did see a pair on a GT14 tractor, on a factory manual, but have never seen a GT14 with them on it in person. Good luck with them.

Not sure on the size but looks like these are a good match. What do you mean by rare?

http://www.tiresusa.com/carlisle-stud-480-8-utility-tire.html

King Horse

Something about the model 1045 only had this size and pattern. I'm just learning this from the forum

Hammerhead

Rare means they are hard to find and not many of them were made and even fewer a have survived to this day! This was the only Model tractor that Wheel horse used these on!

AMC RULES

Rare means...

make 'em pay.  

:teasing-poke:

Rob R

The biggest deal is breaking the bead, after that some warm soapy water and taking you time to remove the tire off the rim will get the job done.... few years back I got tired of paying the tire shops $25.00 to do this so I made my own bead breaker out of old garage door rail parts and scrap iron, one of the best tools I have ever created and it works like a charm on tractor, wagon, car and truck tires...  

post-12028-0-99498300-1425131418_thumb.j

post-12028-0-89274500-1425131422_thumb.j

post-12028-0-86130700-1425131425_thumb.j

• Like 2

King Horse

Genius.

clip

What size are the fronts on the 1045?

King Horse

16x5.5-8

can whlvr

I use a large c clamp and soap,ive even removed skid steer tires this way