golfer2b2000

backing up woes with 20HP hydro

golfer2b2000

When I try to back up while plowing snow with my 1998 Hydro, it goes very slowly, almost stopping. But when I go forward, it goes plenty fast. Does this sound like a transmission problem?

Thank you

dennist

Your hydro should be fine....probably your forward reverse linkages need adjustment.

WH nut

Check the mounting frame to rear  end for cracks

Desko

I have noticed my 416H is doing the same all my mounting is good how do you go about adjusting the linkages

boovuc

Hi Desko,

First thing I do is open the tractor up. If your controls are on the column, I open the tower up and the shifter tunnel then remove the rear fender to make access to the adjuster located on top of the tranny. (Just what I do. Access is already there with a cut-out in the seat pan). I just like the extra room to work on it.

Look at the linkages carefully and run the control arm through the motions watching the linkage. Tighten up what is loose. Replace anything that is really wallowed out.

Next, get the rear wheels just off the ground and the tractor's front wheels chocked, start the tractor, let it warm up then run the lever through the motions. You'll probably see your forward motion travel beyond where the speed increases anymore. You just need to dial the adjuster back so that top speed forward is reached when the motion control lever is at it's farthest position. This will give you back the missing reverse speed. You'll need to fine tune the neutral position once you make the big adjustments. 

• Like 1

Desko

Thank boovuc its gonna have to wait there a snow storm coming and there saying 5-8 and some are saying 6-12 but i will get it fixed with the help of this.

golfer2b2000

I will check this out a bit more. It was bitter cold out when I tried to push some snow. Probably -15 or so. The tractor started out just fine, then the reverse speed really decreased the more I ran it. Forward speed was fine. Was possibly thinking that the frigid tempretures had something to do with it I looked at the linkage and couldnt really notice anything drastically wrong with it.

bmsgaffer

If it was a major internal issue, it would be very likely that forward would be affected just as much as reverse.

I think readjusting the linkages and the eccentric cam bolt should have you fixed up. You may need a new cam plate, sometimes they wear too much and the cam follower wont move the plate correctly.

You will understand what I am talking about when you dig into it :handgestures-thumbupright:

rmaynard

While rebuilding the column mounted motion control on my 416-H, I found every Nyliner bushing in the linkage was either missing or worn badly.

• Like 1

golfer2b2000

Now I am thinking that the cold weather may have been a factor. The problem occured when the tempreture was around 15 below, or maybe more. The tempreture got up to around 25 last Sunday, and the tractor worked perfectly.