krazy_horse

Stuck 10 horse Kohler

krazy_horse

I have a 10 Horse Kohler that has been stored in my garage for about three years. It was stored with the plug etc. intact. About a month ago I tried to turn it over and she is stuck. I took the plug out and poured in the Marvel Mistery red  oil, so far she is still stuck. What should I try for plan B? Thank's for any suggestions! Regards, Jim

krazy_horse

Sorry, Don't know how the double post happend.

groundhog47

Jim, if you can easily get any way to take something to REVERSE rotate engine after letting some lubricant set in spark hole, it will usually work. If you do feel to much resistance>>stop, a valve may be stuck DOWN/CLOSED. Have used this successfully twice.

• Like 1

Rob R

Your doing the right thing with the marvel.... but sometimes this can take weeks.... I would probably take the engine shroud off and try to turn the crank a little forward then backwards each day.... if you can get it to move just a little just keep going back and forth until she loosens up.

• Like 1

Callen

I would pull the flywheel and see if rodents built a nest in there.

baerpath

I agree with Callen.  Pull the cover off and take a look

Fordiesel69

Wrong.  If stuck, you have rust, and with rust you have instant sand paper action should you be successful in freeing it.  You are going to need to take the piston out and hone the rust off the cylinder and re-assemble.  Also if your valves are stuck, you will break the cam.  Do the right thing and pull it apart.

• Like 2

WH nut

Pour some brake fluid in the plug hole and let it sit for a day, then try rocking the motor. Has worked every time for me.

Fordiesel69

All those trick indeed work.  However a perfectly good engine will soon become an oil burner.

WH nut

If its stuck it is no longer perfectly good lol.

• Like 1

Callen

Check for critters first, they can get under the flywheel and lock it up tight.

Wheel Horse Collector

I had a 10 horse stuck. What I did was I took the engine shroud off and turned the flywheel backwards with a ratchet. It loosened and started right up. Also when I broke it loose I took the cylinder head off and made sure that none of the piston rings were broke.

ericj

i've seen motors were the starter was stuck engaged and had the motor tight, back the fly wheel off and the starter disengages hopefully fire it up

eric j 

eddiebunyan

Same thing has happened to me!With a flashlight I was able to look into the starter cover and found the starter gear was indeed stuck on the flywheel teeth.Took the starter off,lubed the spiral shaft the gear turns up on,made sure the gear was moving up and down freely,reinstalled and have been problem free since Worth the time because if it happened once there's a good chance it would happen again!.