botzitaliano

fluids change

botzitaliano

Im looking to do a servicing on my d250. When i read in the manual its a little confusing. Is the transmission and transaxle the same thing?? I want to change the fluid. And in the manual it just shows the 2 drain plugs on the axle. And the fill on the top of the axle. from what i understand they both take sae 90 gear oil and 5.5 guarts so to me it sounds like the same thing, but i want to be 100 sure before i start. Im a little confused as you can tell. If anyone can help me clarify id greatly appreciate it thanks.

blu_stang

The transmission and transaxle are for the most part interchangeable in this instance. The top drain plug on that transmission is at the bottom of the hi-lo range gear box. The second plug is at the bottom of the main transaxle case. Both gear boxes are filled from the same cap at the top, behind the right rear wheel. Regarding the oil, be sure to use GL-4 SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil. It's expensive, and you'll need two of those jugs it comes in, to fill it. But it's the correct stuff to protect those big brass gears inside. I've found that Amazon has the best price on it.

Edited by blu_stang

shallowwatersailor

NAPA carries GL-4 85W-90 oil. I use that in my equipment with bronze gears/bushings including the Gravely attachments and MW Power Trac transmission. I wouldn't trust anything that says it is GL-4/GL-5 compatible. Just use GL-4 rated oil.

And yes, $$$.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

backinthesaddle

Is the GL-4 SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil a replacement for type "A" transmission oil? I need to change the fluid on my '69 Charger 10, and don't want to mess things up.

pfrederi

Is the GL-4 SAE 90 Hypoid gear oil a replacement for type "A" transmission oil? I need to change the fluid on my '69 Charger 10, and don't want to mess things up.

Absolutely NOT!!!! It is 90weight gear oil ...type A now Dexron ATF is about 20w.  What color is the fluid in Your Charger now???  Cherry red is ATF tan means it has been changed out to Motor oil which is Ok but it should be 10w-30 or 10w-40.  Do not mix ATF and Motor oil.  Changing requires a complete flushing and at the price of oil /ATF these days isn't worth it in my book.  My electro 12 and Charger both run just fine on ATF.

squonk

It's the sulfur in the Gl-5 that causes the problem with brass. Synthetics have less sulphur and that's what I use.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/ConventionalVersusSynthetic.pdf